Anyone got a rain dance - detecting on hold

DaveP

I've put all my pasture permissions on hold. One landowner says I can go on but I think it's the wrong thing to do and the finds can wait. The ground is just too dry. Of the arable permissions one is covered in rape so a while to go yet. Another was ploughed yesterday - it's very light land and once cultivation has finished they don't want anyone on it until the maize crop comes off - so that will be a while too. I did manage to jump on yesterday while they were working - didn't see any point in detecting as finds are few and far between on this place - so a bit of field walking. But, it was really dusty and I need the rain to clean off the flints as they are hard to spot covered in brown dust.

Couple of bits popped up including a single platform blade core (could be anywhere from Meso to Neolithic) and a poor Neolithic arrowhead that looks like it broke while being roughed out and was never finished. Both bits were given to the landowner for the family to learn a little more about what to look for.

So unless we get some good rain for me to get back on a couple of hundred acres of pasture or field walk only where the cover crops will go in, I'm just going to have to watch acres and acres of rape do its thing :(

Blade core.jpg
Attachments
Neo arrowhead roughout.jpg
Pete E

DaveP wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:33 am I've put all my pasture permissions on hold. One landowner says I can go on but I think it's the wrong thing to do and the finds can wait. The ground is just too dry. Of the arable permissions one is covered in rape so a while to go yet. Another was ploughed yesterday - it's very light land and once cultivation has finished they don't want anyone on it until the maize crop comes off - so that will be a while too. I did manage to jump on yesterday while they were working - didn't see any point in detecting as finds are few and far between on this place - so a bit of field walking. But, it was really dusty and I need the rain to clean off the flints as they are hard to spot covered in brown dust.

Couple of bits popped up including a single platform blade core (could be anywhere from Meso to Neolithic) and a poor Neolithic arrowhead that looks like it broke while being roughed out and was never finished. Both bits were given to the landowner for the family to learn a little more about what to look for.

So unless we get some good rain for me to get back on a couple of hundred acres of pasture or field walk only where the cover crops will go in, I'm just going to have to watch acres and acres of rape do its thing :(

Blade core.jpg
I have two weeks leave booked off from work mid May....if that doesn't guarantee the arrival of torrential rain and hurricane speed winds, nothin will! :roll:
Steve_JT

I’ve got a few days away next weekend so it’s bound to rain then
I went out yesterday, ground dry and like concrete, terrible signal responses, pin-pointer kept un-pairing, detector was not performing at all. Tried two fields, both the same

Just one token and watch-winder, gave up after 4 hours of frustration, came home sat in the sun with a cold beer to unwind

I doubt if I will be out again until after harvest as jobs are mounting up at home

Regards Steve
A foolish faith in authority, is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
figgis

Yes, it's gone from one extreme to the other with regards ground conditions, ain't it? I think I read somewhere that we only got about 6% of the average rainfall this month. Whatever happened to April showers? I remember getting decidedly dischuffed with the school Easter holidays as we could never get out to play football because it seemed to rain for the entire break
shaggybfc

the rain dance is just like the Gold dance, but you do it naked..... Good luck :thumbsup: :D
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
DaveP

shaggybfc wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:13 pm the rain dance is just like the Gold dance, but you do it naked..... Good luck :thumbsup: :D
Well it would make the wife laugh. She's always said 'men in the nude just look so untidy" :lol:
Oxgirl

Gawd we do really do need rain. Pasture us now off limits cause it really isn’t responsible to dig the ground in this weather. I detected one pasture field a couple of weeks ago and the sods would not bed back in at all. Had to check back this week and the badgers had pulled one out. Not good and potentially very dangerous as it’s a field where horses normally graze.

It’s extremes in weather every year it seems - too wet, too dry, too wet. Not ideal :(
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
DaveP

ooh! ....ooh! It's been raining most of the day. Unfortunately nowhere near enough to make a dent in the ground but might just be enough to wash the flints off. Tomorrow is sunny again so planning an afternoon field walking - fingers crossed.
Oxgirl

We’re due showers for the next few days. Hoping it’ll hold off the ploughing of my one remaining detectable field and give a bit more depth.

Good luck with your flint hunt. You have great hunting ground to get some beauties so I’m jealous!
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
DaveP

Oxgirl wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:12 pm We’re due showers for the next few days. Hoping it’ll hold off the ploughing of my one remaining detectable field and give a bit more depth.

Good luck with your flint hunt. You have great hunting ground to get some beauties so I’m jealous!
If they are planting maize they'll be running out of time to get it drilled so expect a lot of activity. It's a crop that needs plenty of ground preparation and has a definite window for drilling.

"great hunting ground" - unfortunately they are very few and far between but a couple of nice things have turned up - a bit like detecting!
shaggybfc

The rain we’ve had hasn’t made any difference, the ground is as dry now as it was before. We need a good week of solid rain to penetrate to any depth.
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
Pete E

We had a bit of rain overnight Tuesday and early Wednesday...while it hasn't made much difference to the ground overall, I have a small area of water meadow which is generally too wet to detect most of the year, but it is just about perfect now, although the window is small due to grass length problems...