It Pains Me To Say This...

Pete E

It pains me to say this, but unless we get some serious rain soon, I am considering trying some beach detecting up here on the North Wales coast...

I say that with gritted teeth because spending a few hours collecting trash interspersed with fishing weights and modern coins does not really appeal lol...

I am not sure if there is a way of targeting the more historic finds from beaches, apart from some serious research maybe???
DaveP

Lots of Bronze age activity along the North Wales coast especially over towards the Great Orme and onto Anglesey. Also keep your eye open for worked stone as there is Neo and Mesolithic history too all along that coast.

https://museum.wales/collections/bronze ... ard-Conwy/

There's hope yet.
HolzHammer

I was on the beach at Porth Eirias at the weekend they did an EXCELLENT fishfinger sandwich at the cafe there!
Bors

HolzHammer wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:18 am I was on the beach at Porth Eirias at the weekend they did an EXCELLENT fishfinger sandwich at the cafe there!
Yeah but more importantly, show us the rings and Coins you found on the beach . :lol: :lol:
Things aint cooking in my kitchen
Pete E

DaveP wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:44 am Lots of Bronze age activity along the North Wales coast especially over towards the Great Orme and onto Anglesey. Also keep your eye open for worked stone as there is Neo and Mesolithic history too all along that coast.

https://museum.wales/collections/bronze ... ard-Conwy/

There's hope yet.
There was a Viking settlement at Llandudno as well I believe...I have fished that length of coast quite a bit over the years, but I can't think of an good areas where the sea is eroding the land to the point it might drop finds on the upper reaches of the beach..

In fact large stretches of that coast now have modern sea defences which would put Hitlers Atlantic Wall to shame!...

Would love to try the Orme where the BA copper mines were, but sadly I would never get permission as much of that land is National Trust....

IIRC, There is supposed to be the remains of a sunken village off Penmaenmawr which would be interesting, which makes that area a candidate for some extra research....
Pete E

HolzHammer wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:18 am I was on the beach at Porth Eirias at the weekend they did an EXCELLENT fishfinger sandwich at the cafe there!
I have a gas stove and a Ridgemonkey toasted sandwich maker, so I can get excellent fishfinger butties anywhere! :D :D
Ladybird66

You’ll be pleased to know there’s rain forecast for today & tomorrow.

Just seen the forecast. Once again I have noted the timing is just spot on (if they’ve got it right) for me going walkies :cry:
Oxgirl

Apart from 10 minutes with a toy detector the kids had (which doesn’t count) I’ve never been beach detecting. I’m not sure it’s really my thing, I have the wrong type of detector and don’t live near the sea. But maybe I’d love it, as I do like the idea of potentially digging some bling and maybe you will get the bug too Pete!

Doing the beach would be a nice novelty and digging soft sand lots of fun. Please let us know how you get on cause I’m very interested in knowing :thumbsup:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
DaveP

Pete E wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:09 pm It pains me to say this, but unless we get some serious rain soon, I am considering trying some beach detecting up here on the North Wales coast...
If you get bored here's a challenge :lol:

https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/ne ... -of-trying
Oxgirl

DaveP wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:17 am If you get bored here's a challenge :lol:

Cool as 8-) 8-) 8-)
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Bors

Quote PeteE,....." , I am considering trying some beach detecting up here on the North Wales coast..."

Oh dear ,that IS desperation !
Personally I wouldn`t give them the time of day as far as detecting's concerned,except to take the grandkids on . :D
Great place if you collect pulltabs & drink cans though . :lol:
Pete E

DaveP wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:17 am If you get bored here's a challenge :lol:

I am never bored mate, as in this house, being bored leads to being put on decorating duties! :roll:
Pete E

Bors wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:49 am Great place if you collect pulltabs & drink cans though . :lol:
I am trying to banish the reality of the situation to the back of my mind, but you're not helping! lol
Bors

Pete E wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:54 am I am trying to banish the reality of the situation to the back of my mind, but you're not helping! lol
My mistake. I`ll rephrase that.
Get in there Pete . Loads of goodies await you. :lol: