Final Woodland Wander

Dave The Slave

Since being able to get back out detecting, have been restricted to the woods as the fields are now under crop.
Once again, warm weather but quite a sharp breeze, although in the woods you are sheltered.
Natures barbed wire, brambles and some of them are machete grade specimens is starting to engulf the wood along with new growth of vegetation, so last week had already decided to make this the final visit of the season.
Pulling up at the parking spot and retrieving the detector from behind the seats, where i had left it from the previous morning, noticed there were 3 cookies on the floor. One of my work colleagues had given them to me as a present knowing my penchant fort eating biscuits. The day i had them the lid came off and they spilled all over the car and i thought i had retrieved them all. These 3 were still firm but 6 days on the floor of the car, had probably absorbed what lurks in my mobile skip. Did remember about people offering sandwiches to the ground as a votive, i have done water several times into a good find hole. Therefore into the pocket they went.
As expected finds were mainly shotties, not surprising as the wood is festooned with them. Was actually surprised to find an old Tombac type button, which is the only thing pre 1930`s i have found in there. At a couple of spots a cookie was crumbled to the ground and a begging plea and thanks to the Gods was made. They were obviously out or asleep at the time, as the total haul was 25 items of scrap.
Loaded up the car and drove to the other side of the field where there is a good view, had a quick coffee and took a final look over the field i started on back in the Autumn. Always a sad time, end of the inland season. Beach detecting now for a few months.
Cheers everyone, :thumbsup:
Dave.
figgis

Blimey, Dave, you've more patience than I have with all them shotties. But then patience hopefully pays off as you gradually winkle them all out, so leaving the good stuff.

At least the woods provide somewhere to go when the fields are out of bounds and hopefully you'll bag something really decent :thumbsup:
Easylife

Ouch! :shock:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Emily

Dave The Slave wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:11 pm Since being able to get back out detecting, have been restricted to the woods as the fields are now under crop.
Once again, warm weather but quite a sharp breeze, although in the woods you are sheltered.
Natures barbed wire, brambles and some of them are machete grade specimens is starting to engulf the wood along with new growth of vegetation, so last week had already decided to make this the final visit of the season.
Pulling up at the parking spot and retrieving the detector from behind the seats, where i had left it from the previous morning, noticed there were 3 cookies on the floor. One of my work colleagues had given them to me as a present knowing my penchant fort eating biscuits. The day i had them the lid came off and they spilled all over the car and i thought i had retrieved them all. These 3 were still firm but 6 days on the floor of the car, had probably absorbed what lurks in my mobile skip. Did remember about people offering sandwiches to the ground as a votive, i have done water several times into a good find hole. Therefore into the pocket they went.
As expected finds were mainly shotties, not surprising as the wood is festooned with them. Was actually surprised to find an old Tombac type button, which is the only thing pre 1930`s i have found in there. At a couple of spots a cookie was crumbled to the ground and a begging plea and thanks to the Gods was made. They were obviously out or asleep at the time, as the total haul was 25 items of scrap.
Loaded up the car and drove to the other side of the field where there is a good view, had a quick coffee and took a final look over the field i started on back in the Autumn. Always a sad time, end of the inland season. Beach detecting now for a few months.
Dave.
At least you found something. And I would probably have still eaten the cookies. 😂 10 day rule isn’t it. 🤔🧐

Good luck on the beaches!! I hope you find some amazing things including fabulous gold rings that just happen to fit my little fingers. 😂🤪
Live long and prospect
Oxgirl

Gordon Bennet I think I’d prefer the beach to that place :o Scrap that, I know I would :roll: At least it’s a little early to get completely bitten to death in the process too. Not even a pin type shottie in there for some added interest?
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
shaggybfc

The joys of searching woodland.... and you failed on the sacrifice,,,, by using 'cookies', that only works in the US, not the UK as biscuits would be the sacrifice of choice here :lol:
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
Pete E

Dave The Slave wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:11 pm Since being able to get back out detecting, have been restricted to the woods as the fields are now under crop.
Dave.
The only thing I know for certain is you will never find anything sitting in front of the goggle box, so a big thumbs up for getting out and trying... :thumbsup:

I have never detected woodland much as I always find it a pain digging through all those roots..

Once had a cracking signal in under roots at the base of a large tree..It looked exactly the sort of place somebody might hide something....About 20 minutes of digging and cursing in equal measures proved I was right, but why somebody would hide horse shoe in such a place, I have no idea ?? How over joyed I was to find that.... :roll:
Easylife

Why is it that whenever I find something under a big tree it is always under a root? :Thinking:
Emily

Easylife wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:47 pm Why is it that whenever I find something under a big tree it is always under a root? :Thinking:
I’ve had exactly the same experiences!! I get a great signal, and am really excited, get digging and a HUGE root is directly on top of it and I can’t get to it. It’s infuriating!! I think it’s the tree mocking me. 🤷‍♀️
Live long and prospect
Oxgirl

Emily wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:08 am I’ve had exactly the same experiences!! I get a great signal, and am really excited, get digging and a HUGE root is directly on top of it and I can’t get to it. It’s infuriating!! I think it’s the tree mocking me. 🤷‍♀️
Same here! :pulling hair out:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Easylife

Emily wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:08 am I’ve had exactly the same experiences!! I get a great signal, and am really excited, get digging and a HUGE root is directly on top of it and I can’t get to it.
Oh I always get to it, I'm like a dog with a bone and just go tunnelling, oddly it's usually just a pre-decimal penny! :D