ORX First thoughts...

I-Rutus

First thoughts, well what can I say? It is very light, that is an understatement in itself, it is hard to explain how light it is, whether that is a good thing, or a bad thing, only time will tell, but I like a little weight at the coil to help ease through grass and stalks, but as I have not been out on a field yet, I can't call it one way or another.
The machine itself is pretty basic, and I would call it an entry level machine, that is not to say it is cheap, but it is not complicated in any way. Coming as it does with just three tones, low for iron, medium for gold, copper, bronze, Roman's ets, and a high tone for the high conductive silver signals. You should really not get too confused.
The coils each come with three frequencies, these range from low, H35 coils, to high, HF coils, and have incremental adjustments to each frequency to help stop other detectors from causing interference.
As for the control box, there is not too much to worry about there, and controls are cut back to the bare minimum. Unfortunately there is no volume control, so you have to use headphones with built in controls, apart from that, you get threshold, reactivity, and sensitivity, plus an iron volume on/off control, so nothing to freak you out there then, plus the usual ground balance and pinpoint modes.
There are also four detection programs available, two gold, and two field, the latter being coin fast, and coin deep, these will obviously work differently depending on what coil you choose, as the coils have differing frequencies, my choice was the 9" HF coil.

So that is it for now, part two will be tomorrow when I take it out on the field, and see how it performs in real life terms being swung over mud.
Watch this spaceπŸ€”πŸ€ž
Pete E

I-Rutus wrote: ↑Sat May 01, 2021 11:06 am First thoughts, well what can I say? It is very light, that is an understatement in itself, it is hard to explain how light it is, whether that is a good thing, or a bad thing, only time will tell, but I like a little weight at the coil to help ease through grass and stalks, but as I have not been out on a field yet, I can't call it one way or another.
The machine itself is pretty basic, and I would call it an entry level machine, that is not to say it is cheap, but it is not complicated in any way. Coming as it does with just three tones, low for iron, medium for gold, copper, bronze, Roman's ets, and a high tone for the high conductive silver signals. You should really not get too confused.
The coils each come with three frequencies, these range from low, H35 coils, to high, HF coils, and have incremental adjustments to each frequency to help stop other detectors from causing interference.
As for the control box, there is not too much to worry about there, and controls are cut back to the bare minimum. Unfortunately there is no volume control, so you have to use headphones with built in controls, apart from that, you get threshold, reactivity, and sensitivity, plus an iron volume on/off control, so nothing to freak you out there then, plus the usual ground balance and pinpoint modes.
There are also four detection programs available, two gold, and two field, the latter being coin fast, and coin deep, these will obviously work differently depending on what coil you choose, as the coils have differing frequencies, my choice was the 9" HF coil.

So that is it for now, part two will be tomorrow when I take it out on the field, and see how it performs in real life terms being swung over mud.
Watch this spaceπŸ€”πŸ€ž
Good luck..The one thing that appeals with the XP machines is the lack of cable between coil and control box. From a practical perspective, I don't suppose the presence of that cable, it or not, makes any real difference, but by going wireless, XP have produced some extremely "clean" and good looking machines IMHO....
bob79

Look forward to seeing that you think tomorrow, Kevin. Did you get another set of headphones?
I-Rutus

Yes Bob, I bought some wired back phones with volume control, depending on how I gel with the orx will depend on whether I buy wireless or not.
HolzHammer

Does the ORX have "Full Tones"? Not everyone's "go to" but I use little else with the Xp Deus ( Lite) and tend to dig everything not obviously iron or big coke ( which is quite easy to read once you are used to the XP) - it will solve your three tone dilemma! All the B
HolzHammer

I look forward to your review!
As I think Cath pointed out, if it is similar to the deus, and I believe it is, it takes a bit of time to get used to.. good luck!
I-Rutus

HolzHammer wrote: ↑Sat May 01, 2021 12:39 pm Does the ORX have "Full Tones"? Not everyone's "go to" but I use little else with the Xp Deus ( Lite) and tend to dig everything not obviously iron or big coke ( which is quite easy to read once you are used to the XP) - it will solve your three tone dilemma! All the B
It is just a basic three tone machine, low, medium, and high, with no adjustment to the tones. Also it only has threshold when in either of the two gold modes. Now I run my Nox in 50 tones, wide open with added threshold, so this is the complete opposite for me😳 but I will give it a fair shout, and a chance to prove itself.
Kenleyboy

I do like the look of this machine and I was very tempted at one point . The changer was a kindly loan of a Deus Lite just to see if I got on with it which I did as I was dithering between both machines as an upgrade . Now my learning curve with the Deus is in full throttle and enjoying every minute of it but I look forward to seeing what you make of the ORX . :thumbsup: