Hammered coin last knockings

Kenleyboy

I had an aborted mission yesterday on the fields due to the weather . All was looking rather favourable , the sun was shining and having little faith in the so called predicted weather forecasts of showers I took my chances and off I went . The minute my size 11 boot touched the dry soil it literally poured with rain . Fortunately I was well prepared and my old faithful barbour jacket as ancient and flea bitten as it appears , has stood the test of time and kept me dry in such poor conditions . I think we must have just about had all four seasons of weather in one afternoon minus the snow but the hailstones was the closest thing .
My eager approach on one corner of this field didnt go as planned and nothing of note came up and as the weather deteriorated I called it a day and went home with the possibility of returning the following day weather permitting .
My goods for the few wet and bitterly cold hours .
20210501_190720_resized[5245]sat finds 1.jpg
Today was a slightly different story , the morning was pleasantly warm with the sun beating down through broken cloud and my mornings dog walk was a pleasant excursion and was met with the first swallows of the year , finally they have arrived and even though the weather is temperamental , summer for me is marked by the arrival of these birds . By the time I had returned home I had made my mind up for round two and it was back to that field and pick up from where I left off from yesterdays disaster .
Once again , back on the field and I was met with this threatening grey sky looming in the distance but this time I was determined to stick it out especially as this corner of the field was really bugging me and I was keen to have a go and see what may lurk beneath the soil .
20210502_162246_resized[6101]landscape.jpg
Bits of lead , buttons and a few blank coins came my way and as the rain finally came I was beginning to think perhaps this wasnt such a good idea but as the following weeks forecast is even more miserable this may be my last chance for a while to get back out on the farm . In a few more weeks the crops will be in full bloom and thats it for metal detecting until later in the year so I may as well stick this one out and carry on .
Fortunately the rain stopped , the sun shone and all was well with the world , even the band of skylarks were floating towards heavens singing their hearts out in celebration and the rain had at least rid the soil of its crusty surface making digging and walking a little more easier .
First good find was one I almost didnt dig , it was an odd signal which had me hesitating to a point of almost walking on but something urged me to dig , the ground is quite hard and full of flint and I was getting fussy or even lazy in what I chose to dig . Some of the feint two way squeaks turned out to be deep iron and by the time I was done I was thinking at least digging for bottles the ground is soft . I took a punt and dug this one and was sure glad that I did and equally surprised to see this laying there and it appears to be in one piece .
20210502_163428(0)_resized[6102]pin.jpg
I am no expert when it comes to things like this but this screams ancient and I going to take a punt and say Roman ! No doubt I am way out but it has that look and patina that tells me it is very old . Please correct me if I am wrong and I will hold my hands up and admit defeat , whatever it is I like it .
I continued my walk up and down in this corner of the field low and slow and then another really nice confident signal and a find that always gladdens my heart , a hammered coin .
20210502_172703_resized[6104]hammered monarch.jpg
20210502_172743_resized[6103]hammered rear.jpg
I was about done with that find and ready to call it a day yet one more tiny wispy signal greeted me on my way out of the field which was a tiny buckle still with its fragile dainty little pin attached . Once again , I am constantly amazed at how such things survive relatively undamaged from the plough over the centuries but they do and we get to find them :thumbsup:
20210502_182517_resized[6105]finds .jpg
Allectus

Roman dress/hair pin.

A ;)
Allectus

Edward I 9b penny - Chester?

A ;)
Kenleyboy

Allectus wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:30 pm Roman dress/hair pin.

A ;)
Once again , brilliant ID for both items . Much appreciated :thumbsup:
Oxgirl

I am in love with that tiny annular buckle :Star: superb finds Paul.

It has been proper showers though hasn’t it! I can’t remember the last time the weather was this changeable. We’ve gone from blue skies to heavy shower back to clear blue skies within 10 minutes. And then the pattern has repeated itself. It keeps us on our toes at least :D
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Bors

Well done again Paul. Your lucks in just lately with the detecting finds. Keep it up. :thumbsup:
Things aint cooking in my kitchen
Ladybird66

You’re certainly getting some nice finds Paul. Got your ear in, as they say.
Yet another Hammy, nice. Tiny Annular Brooch, beautiful, love it, and something not found very often, a Roman dress pin. Wow, way to go.

Glad to hear you’ve spotted some swallows. I was getting a bit worried about them, they’re late this year. We usually see the first few by my birthday or shortly after. Still waiting. The House Martins are here and so are the Larks (I just love them) but no Swallows ! ?

Happy hunting. :D
Oxgirl

I wonder if it was a medieval shoe buckle you found. This photo came up on Twitter today - a piece of medieval shoe with the buckle still attached (source and all copyright belongs to @LondonMudlark)
E978E096-616D-473F-94A0-60B45C572300.png
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Dave The Slave

Well done, Paul on your finds.
Particularly like the Roman pin.
They found a tiny Medieval shoe buckle in the river at Canterbury, towards the end of last weeks episode of River Hunters.
Like yourself my inland season has finished until the Harvest.
Started writing my season review yesterday, must have forgotten to save it. Luckily not too much had been written.
Has been interesting reading your reports and seeing photos for your season.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
figgis

Great finds once again, KB :thumbsup:

Loving that pin, which looks to be near complete. Pins can be difficult to date accurately, but given the fact it has a collar beneath the head I'd punt at Anglo Saxon. The collar is by no means a definitive diagnostic device, though, and your FLO will give you the full SP :thumbsup:
Kenleyboy

Oxgirl wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:12 am I wonder if it was a medieval shoe buckle you found. This photo came up on Twitter today - a piece of medieval shoe with the buckle still attached (source and all copyright belongs to @LondonMudlark)

E978E096-616D-473F-94A0-60B45C572300.png
It could be , it looks about the same size from the shoe photo . 15 mm diameter .Just amazed at how something so fragile looking can survive in the ground for centuries .
Blackadder43

ooooh nice Roman pin of sorts :thumbsup:
Some good detecting there KB for sure
Machine is one with you (as Yoda would say)