A bit of colour at last...

figgis

...and I'm not talking about my hooter which has been possessed of a healthy rosy glow for some considerable time now. In fact there are some striking and nicely colour-coordinated purple veins starting to emerge, all adding to the overall effect of a man happily taking full and repeated advantage of a well-stocked cellar. Other body parts are perhaps not quite the hue they should be, however. Not the right shape either, by all accounts, but I digress...

What ho,

It was one of those do-I-don't I? days. I'd dropped the memsahib off at Molly Sconcepiffle's for a coffee morning (or it could have been a whist drive or karate class - I really wasn't listening) and I had the day to myself. Detecting was an option, but bearing in mind the state of the ground it wasn't a particularly appealing one and in any case we were forecast for rain. However, after a bit of dithering I decided the hell with it and kick-started the Jenks (well, I kicked him) in order to go for an outing. A good decision, as it turned out.

The ground was parched as expected, but diggable once you broke through the crust with Great Aunt's peg leg cunningly fitted with a jack hammer, but not a lot came up during the opening session other than a watch winder. I was really only meandering - going with the flow - but at one point in the second session I decided to walk a strict line back to the gin wagon - low, slow and disciplined for once. The line was around 100m long and produced a good yield, notably another broken but fancier watch winder, a fragment of Roman/Saxon pin, a medieval mount (probably book mount) and a Lesney Matchbox toy tanker, not unlike the one that delivers the gin as it happens. But the star find was a Roman finger ring bezel.

This is the sixth I've found and I was well chuffed with it in the field, but it wasn't until I got it home and cleaned it that I near fainted with delight. See, despite numerous brooch finds I've rarely had any decent decoration on them and always envied those who turfed up those with enamel still attached. I know enamel was also applied to rings but never ever expected to find one and when I washed this one off and saw the brilliant blue grinning back at me I swore for a full minute without repetition, deviation or hesitation :D
enamelled ring - Copy.jpg
3-5-21 footpath.jpg
Certainly the find of the year so far, and having been basking in its glow since finding it, it occurs to me that Jenks hasn't been thrashed for absolutely hours so best I nip off to re-establish a bit of normality.

Pip pip :thumbsup:
Bors

Great post John & an enjoyable read ! :thumbsup:

PS .Your not trying to imitate WC Fields by any chance are you ?. :lol:
Attachments
6187GuEaqxL._AC_SL1228_.jpg
Things aint cooking in my kitchen
Blackadder43

Wowsers...lovely find that :clapping:
And the 6th you say?.....gosh those Romans round your way must have been forever washing their hands to lose that many :shock:
Great day on parched land
Reiver

Nice find !
Great read, :clapping:
Reiver.
figgis

Bors wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:00 am PS .Your not trying to imitate WC Fields by any chance are you ?. :lol:
His conk's the work of an amateur by comparison :D
Blackadder43 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:29 am And the 6th you say?.....gosh those Romans round your way must have been forever washing their hands to lose that many :shock:
Aye, the sixth Roman finger ring and all of them incomplete. There must be a whole one knocking about somewhere!
shaggybfc

When I read "a bit of colour at last", I was expecting to see gold #disappointed

Well done on the finds, especially the roman ring.
Are the ring fragment finds proportionate to the other Roman finds on site? Could they be votive offerings?
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
Dave The Slave

[quote=shaggybfc post_id=19140 time=1620131240 user_id=66]
When I read "a bit of colour at last", I was expecting to see gold #disappointed

Same for me, watch a lot of Gold mining programmes.
However, that soon evaporated when i saw the word Roman and was significantly astonished to see that Blue enamel. You even mention it`s your 6th :Party: .
Well done John, would have been happy with just the toy lorry.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
figgis

shaggybfc wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:27 pm When I read "a bit of colour at last", I was expecting to see gold #disappointed

Well done on the finds, especially the roman ring.
Are the ring fragment finds proportionate to the other Roman finds on site? Could they be votive offerings?
Sorry to disappoint :lol: I can honestly say that I'd prefer to find this type of thing to finding gold, which holds no particular appeal to me whatsoever.

Votive offerings are a possibility but the rings have been spread out over a wide area of the permission. With a smattering of other artefacts, the current tally for the majority of Roman finds is:

Finger rings: 6
Fibulae: 41
Coins: 185
Dave The Slave

figgis wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:59 pm Sorry to disappoint :lol: I can honestly say that I'd prefer to find this type of thing to finding gold, which holds no particular appeal to me whatsoever.

Votive offerings are a possibility but the rings have been spread out over a wide area of the permission. With a smattering of other artefacts, the current tally for the majority of Roman finds is:

Would i lose my appreciation of Roman with those quantities ? Never.
Apart from a lifetime total of 47 Roman coins, just a fragment of a Langton Down brooch.
The designs on a Roman coin are far more numerous, than a cross, pellets and whatever else there is on a Hammered.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
shaggybfc

figgis wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:59 pm Sorry to disappoint :lol: I can honestly say that I'd prefer to find this type of thing to finding gold, which holds no particular appeal to me whatsoever.

the gold comment was a tongue in cheek reference to the TV gold and opal programmes :D :D

OK, so significant Roman activity for the area then :thumbsup:
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
figgis

Dave The Slave wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:17 pm Would i lose my appreciation of Roman with those quantities ? Never.
Nor me, chap :thumbsup: Wonder what Cath would say? :lol:
Dave The Slave wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:17 pm The designs on a Roman coin are far more numerous, than a cross, pellets and whatever else there is on a Hammered.
I just love the things. So many variations, and then you have my favourite - the barbarous radiates :blow kiss: The difficulties arise when trying to record them, but you do pick up a lot of info when researching them :thumbsup:
shaggybfc wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:40 pm the gold comment was a tongue in cheek reference to the TV gold and opal programmes :D :D
Actually, when I say I have no interest in finding gold, perhaps that might have something to do with the fact I've never found any :lol:
I-Rutus

Bors wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:00 am
PS .Your not trying to imitate WC Fields by any chance are you ?. :lol:
Or toilet meadows as he is known in these parts :lol:
Oxgirl

6 rings? 6? Blooming heck either he kept breaking them, he was making them or he was part of a very clumsy group of individuals who lost a lot!

Lovely enamel and great finds John :Star:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Ladybird66

That enamel is a beautiful colour. Lovely find.

Sounds more like a workshop area with that number if finds. Lucky you :D

Me, nearest I ever got to a Roman coin was 2 thin little grots. Didn’t even think they were coins, let alone Roman till someone told me. :shock:
Easylife

Now if only that ring was intact would it trump that sweet little tanker truck! :D
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.