Moist ground VS dry!

Easylife

Dependant upon your detectors abilities I guess it could be an issue? Moist ground no doubt creates more of a halo effect on older targets. Just a thought but perhaps iron leeching is the strongest, with copper and silver lesser, or maybe all the same or some other? What do you reckon? :Thinking:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
DaveP

I suspect you also need to consider target size - a lot of the iron is in bigger targets so any leaching is already over a larger area.
Blackadder43

Pure water such as distilled is not a good conductor of electrical signals, or any signals (happy to be corrected here as its early and i've only had 1 brew)
But
Rainwater is a good conductor as it holds all the elements to conduct signals (Think Nicholas Tesla and his wireless electricity that has been proven to work on a very small scale in recent experiments, but obviously hidden away from the general public as free electricity would freak out the huge energy companies)

In our local area i watched a program many years ago about one of our local greyhound racing tracks from back in the day
Memory is a bit vague, but before the invention of computerised stuff, they used to controll the speed of the hare by placing 2 probes into water and changing the speed of said hare by moving these probes either closer together or further apart
That really did have the human element, not like today where you press a button and determine a speed and away it goes

Without knowing the true technical aspect of wet ground conducting signals better than dry ground, it has been widely accepted by the detecting community that wet or moist ground is better for the detectors signals than dry ground :ugeek:
:thumbsup:

EDIT:
Ok, i'll not delete my above ramblings which show me up as a numpty, but i just found this interesting piece on Ground penetrating radar
The 3rd paragraph is the interesting one :thumbsup:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground-penetrating_radar
Bors

Quote Bruce ,...." Without knowing the true technical aspect of wet ground conducting signals better than dry ground, it has been widely accepted by the detecting community that wet or moist ground is better for the detectors signals than dry ground."

Without a shadow of doubt ! :thumbsup:
I was out with the Equinox a few days ago (Sun) and I wasn`t getting any signals more than 5" depth in VERY dry soil conditions. In fact my Boots came back covered in Dust from the soil .
Things aint cooking in my kitchen
the-roman

Defiantly wet ground to get those deeper targets out :thumbsup:
DaveP

Blackadder43 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:24 am Pure water such as distilled is not a good conductor of electrical signals, or any signals (happy to be corrected here as its early and i've only had 1 brew)
But
Rainwater is a good conductor as it holds all the elements to conduct signals (Think Nicholas Tesla and his wireless electricity that has been proven to work on a very small scale in recent experiments, but obviously hidden away from the general public as free electricity would freak out the huge energy companies)
Bruce, I think it's time for a full pot of brew and put the tea cosy on your head :D

You can't have pure water or rain water in the ground and Tesla's wireless electricity isn't free - you still have to make electricity to transfer it wirelessly and you lose more than you transmit.

Now where did I put that perpetual motion machine ........... ;)
Easylife

Maybe it works both ways? Perhaps some targets respond better in dry ground when they are not swamped by an iron halo? Yesterday I finished up on my most hammered small patch where I would not expect to find any more targets at all, but there were several, a barrel tap key is normally pretty hard to miss! :Thinking:
Easylife

Bors wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:39 am Without a shadow of doubt ! :thumbsup:
I was out with the Equinox a few days ago (Sun) and I wasn`t getting any signals more than 5" depth in VERY dry soil conditions. In fact my Boots came back covered in Dust from the soil .
For me on pasture with the Nox target depth seems about the same even in dry ground, many targets are at the usual 10" deep. What is noticeable though is that targets can give a much narrower response than they do in moist ground so could be missed much easier.
Blackadder43

DaveP wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:14 pm You can't have pure water or rain water in the ground and Tesla's wireless electricity isn't free - you still have to make electricity to transfer it wirelessly and you lose more than you transmit.
I didnt mean you can have pure water in the ground.....maybe i worded it incorrectly :Thinking: , but i was mentioning the difference between the 2 types of water and being able to conduct electricity/signals :D

Please explain to me how you cannot have rain water in the ground though? :?
Unless of course you have poorly worded your sentence too... :ugeek:

Anyways, i have had enough tea now :thumbsup: :lol:
DaveP

Blackadder43 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:09 pm
Please explain to me how you cannot have rain water in the ground though? :?
Unless of course you have poorly worded your sentence too... :ugeek:

Anyways, i have had enough tea now :thumbsup: :lol:
"Poorly worded" - Sir! That deserves a slap in the chops with a wet tea bag and tea spoons at dawn :D

A very liberal use of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle means that when rainwater lands it isn't rainwater anymore as it interacts immediately with the ground. It will deposit most of its solids, undergo various levels of ion exchange and start dissolving material. :geek:

I'm guessing that part of the problem with dry ground is also due to many more non-conductive air spaces as the soil contracts at a micro level.

But much more important - what's the favourite brew?
Easylife

Filtration, maybe like a tea bag?
It's PG for me! :D
figgis

In dry conditions there's no doubt that the iron content in the ground quietens down as conditions aren't as conductive. I run my machine wide open so I get to notice such things :D

With the ground as it is at the moment I know I'm not going to get as much depth as usual so I up the frequency to make the shallower stuff sing out and it works a treat. :thumbsup:
Oxgirl

I’m continually amazed at the difference in find rates depending on the ground conditions. I get the majority of my finds in the first three months of the year. Weeds are low, grass short, ground wet and the stubble is well rotted. Dry ground just makes life hard in numerous ways from signal depth, more feedback and poor digging.

Be interesting to grid an area with all other conditions the same except for moisture and see what happens. No digging till the end. Well if someone else did it anyway cause I doubt I will :D
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Easylife

Oxgirl wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:39 am Be interesting to grid an area with all other conditions the same except for moisture and see what happens.
That would be a good experiment. In dry ground conditions choose an area where you know there are targets, or even better use a test bed. First go over it in a single low frequency, then a high frequency, then in simultaneous multifrequency. Then do the same in wet conditions. I think I might try that sometime! :Thinking: