Out on the pasture.

Easylife

After the recent 2 or 3 days of some good rain here I thought I would chance an afternoon on the pasture though knew the ground would likely still be quite dry, but it was a chance to get out all the same. The low ground was just way too dry as expected but not too bad upslope by comparison as I only considered that to be quite dry! The rain hadn't penetrated too deep and the soil below that was completely dry, but the clods went back down flat and the grass will survive in the more moist top layer so that was acceptable to me. Under the circumstances I just chose to have a slow wander wherever and avoid digging in the very driest of places. A good clue that the ground is rather dry is when you have great difficulty in breaking open a soil ball to get the target out! :lol:
My second target was a rather large lump of lead which filled my hand so I left that by a tree for later retrieval, well a quids a quid! :D One curious target banged in at 40 on the Nox but only showed 1 depth bar, yet by 8" down it still hadn't revealed itself! The find was a first for me, a bleedin' 9" aluminium saucepan lid at a foot deep! :?
A variety of coins showed, the oldest a George III penny. A 1930's lead alloy Cock Robin. A locket and a small brooch. The usual two silver's made an appearance as a 1914 George V sixpence, and a piece of copper with thick silver plate on both sides, does that count? :Thinking:
IMG_20210506_152442.jpg
A bit of horse tack was an arm of a single jointed loose ring snaffle, fancy having one of those in your mouth! :silent: Some buckles or parts of, I guess the lower half of a Boys Brigade belt buckle? A candle holder, a 20mm lead shot and a clay pipe bowl.
On the way back I crossed the now rather tired 'silver' field, no more silver but it proved that there's still a few good targets to be winkled out even in dry ground! Well it's always nice to see a barrel tap key, and the smallest toy train wheel from here yet. I've lost count of the amount of toy train wheels from these fields but it must be 2 or 3 dozen so far. Maybe the train bodies were made of tin and rusted away leaving just the lead/alloy wheels to survive?
IMG_20210506_152353.jpg
Compared to how it was a few years ago targets now seem to be rather few and far between but maybe not really compared to some land? Still I dug 101 targets, the quite frequent aluminium snuff tins are always quite a bane, but perhaps just a reflection of past activity here?
I enjoyed the day, nothing particularly great to show, never a dull day on the pasture and quite fun as usual. The cattle were not bothersome, a few ducks were in the fields, and later on the usual Canadian geese honking overhead, it was good to be out and I think I might do it again tomorrow! :D
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Easylife

Easylife wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:20 pm I enjoyed the day, nothing particularly great to show...
Though it's surprising how some things can be transformed.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1863&p=19323#p19323
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.