Smallest Item?

Kenleyboy

Littleboot wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:56 am no chance of butchering anything at the moment over here....i can't get my spade in to begin with as the clay soil is baked like rock. It may be time to get my cordless drill out again. (Yes, I have used it for detecting....but only in winter to break through frost. :lol: ) I like to dig big holes. It is quite odd really because aside from our own large garden and veg plot I also do gardening for elderly ex-pats and holiday home owners. And then in my spare time I go off and dig holes in fields. I think i must really dig digging. :lol:
if you dig digging Littleboot , get onto those bottles , you got a good chance of finding one of those rare onion bottles especially where you are located . Incidentally the eldest lady bottle digger I know is now a young 88 years old , fit as a fiddle / She doesn't dig now but still manages to get herself around the bottle shows up here bless her !
the-roman

The smallest things I find on a regular basis are cut quarters, tiny Roman minums and the tiniest bits of lead :thumbsup:
figgis

Air rifle pellets - find loads, but they're all near or on the surface so not much of a test.

When it comes to depth, I've managed a few cut quarters around the 6"-8" mark and that's satisfying. What's made me dig them isn't the strength of signal (obvz) or the numbers (only looked at once the decision to dig has been made and even then not always) but the tone. I'm a committed earholer.
shaggybfc

Buttons, especially those small copper based 4 holed types that give a beautiful tone. I must find four or five of those everytime I go out....grrrrr
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
Saffron

Do people call air rifle pellets small?.

I have a riverside permission and the small split shot that anglers drop would require a least a couple of dozen of them to weigh the same as an air rifle pellet!.

But air rifle pellets are the most frustrating find I get on another permission. I know everbody finds them frustrating to some extent, but on this permission its worse because I know I am responsible for them as I used to shoot there with an air rifle in my youth.

Evan
Pete E

Saffron wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:25 pm Do people call air rifle pellets small?.

I have a riverside permission and the small split shot that anglers drop would require a least a couple of dozen of them to weigh the same as an air rifle pellet!.

But air rifle pellets are the most frustrating find I get on another permission. I know everbody finds them frustrating to some extent, but on this permission its worse because I know I am responsible for them as I used to shoot there with an air rifle in my youth.

Evan
I now detect over a farm I also shoot over, so am in the same boat there! lol

Smallest finds on Sunday were a couple of shotgun primers plus a little tiny scrap of metal that even my pinpoint struggled with, but the Nox was insistent it was there!
Dave The Slave

One thing I have never found is lead shot, don`t know if other people do.
Smallest item have found on more than one occasion, is the shotgun cartridge primer.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Ladybird66

On the beach the commonest tiny identifiable find are those useless metal studs off jeans. As a one off I found a stainless steel nose pin with a tiny diamond in one end.
Nearly drove me nuts, detector knew it was there, Mr.Garret knew it was there but being in the black stuff I could’nt see it. Gave it to a grateful youngster who had a much cheaper version.
Amazing what the NOX can find :thumbsup: