Newbie struggling with id's

brambleton

Hi! I'm new to this hobby and have been watching youtube videos to try to get some clues re id's. This forum was recommended to me by Alexander of HolzHammer Sagas and Andy of Terra Britannia.
The photos show finds from today that I have no clue about and would really appreciate some help id'ing. Apologies if anything depicted is complete trash - I made a tit of myself last week over a piece of decorated copper that turned out to be anti aircraft shrapnel..... :(
I just really want to know what things that I have found are/were......
Many thanks
Attachments
untitled shoot-006.jpg
untitled shoot-004.jpg
Blackadder43

Sorry for the delay there chap with approving your first post, but now you can post as you want without needing approvals :thumbsup:
Someone will be along shortly i expect with some ID's for you :ugeek:
No good asking me, i just make the Tea here :D
Easylife

Welcome.
Top left is a shoe buckle fragment.
Bottom left is part of a Medieval key. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
brambleton

Thank you so much!
Will seek techgeek help tomorrow as to how forum's work as didn't realise I had had replies!
Gosh - there's a lot to learn..
Your help is much appreciated as is having this hub to now glean from!
Easylife

Maybe part of a bucket handle, the wear is right, unusual being made of copper/alloy though but looks pretty old. :thumbsup:
brambleton

Thank you! That is a rivet that forms the lug and I haven't a clue when they were used from.
Oxgirl

Never, ever worry about checking things. We won’t laugh at you or think you are stupid cause we all started somewhere and I could tell you a few tales of stuff where we’ve dismissed things as rubbish that weren’t :oops:

Anyway think the 4th item in the second photo might be a seed scoop (is it dished like a spoon?). Completely agree with Easylife on all the IDs he made too.

The third item in the first photo might be the core of a shotgun cartridge end. They can look different when they’ve started corroding.
In the second photo the second item looks a bit like a post medieval strap end but they don’t normally have a loop at the end :Thinking: the third item might be part of a simple spoon handle. The 17-18th century ones were very simple, thin handles which we often find fragments of.

Hope that helps :D
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Easylife

Oxgirl wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:47 pm Anyway think the 4th item in the second photo might be a seed scoop (is it dished like a spoon?).
Items in first pic are also in second pic! ;)
Easylife

Second item appears to have a countersunk hole at the break?
Last item looks to be made of iron, if so I'd sling it. :D
Ladybird66

The second item looks as if it might be the locking part of a book clasp. Bibles used to have locks and other books of course. Age, well it doesn’t look too old so maybe 1800’s but more likely a bit later.

I don’t know about ignoring stuff that was good. One of my first finds was an annular Brooch, well at least that’s what I thought it was. It turned out to be half a horses bit with the broken bit bent back over the check ring. The most embarrassing thing was, I was a horse owner & rider and I didn’t recognise it :oops: :lol:
We’ve all been there :thumbsup:
Oxgirl

Easylife wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:58 pm Items in first pic are also in second pic! ;)
Just seen it on Twitter where it made far more sense :lol:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Easylife

It's maybe wise to hang onto your scrap for a few years before weighing it in, I think I would have likely kept a few more bits in hindsight! :Thinking:
figgis

First off, welcome to The Hub :thumbsup:

When it comes to IDs, the more finds you see, the more knowledge you'll gain - basically it's experience that enables a good stab at identification yourself (or in my case, misidentification myself). Never be afraid to ask, and the longer you're at it the better you'll get. :thumbsup:
Dave The Slave

Firstly, Hello and welcome to the Hub.
Sorry can`t help with the ID`s.
No need to worry about posting photos of anything you dig up.I have always posted photos of the lot, including masses of rusty metal. Sometimes someone does spot something you thought was tat but is not. Showing everything just shows the realism of detecting, tiny ratio of interesting finds compared to the scrap. Some beginners come into the hobby thinking they will dig a Hammered or whatever on every signal.
Anyway good luck and we will look forward to seeing what you dig up in the future.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
HolzHammer

Welcome Brambleton! I am glad you found it ok and you'll soon find your feet... and once you have a decent ID on something you won't forget it next time you get something similar... soon it will be you saying " I'm afraid that's only shrapnel not medieval decorated copper..."
Al the Best
Alexander