Newbie struggling with id's

brambleton

Easylife wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:03 pm Second item appears to have a countersunk hole at the break?
Last item looks to be made of iron, if so I'd sling it. :D
Yes Easylife, there is a countersunk hole, not on the other side.
That last item appears to be a crudely decorated near cube of lead/alloy with a central hole on the underside which shows discolouration from iron...some sort of stud/mount?
brambleton

Easylife wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:38 am It's maybe wise to hang onto your scrap for a few years before weighing it in, I think I would have likely kept a few more bits in hindsight! :Thinking:
Great advice! :D
brambleton

figgis wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 6:18 am First off, welcome to The Hub :thumbsup:

When it comes to IDs, the more finds you see, the more knowledge you'll gain - basically it's experience that enables a good stab at identification yourself (or in my case, misidentification myself). Never be afraid to ask, and the longer you're at it the better you'll get. :thumbsup:
Thanks so much - that's great encouragement!
brambleton

Dave The Slave wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:53 pm Firstly, Hello and welcome to the Hub.
Sorry can`t help with the ID`s.
No need to worry about posting photos of anything you dig up.I have always posted photos of the lot, including masses of rusty metal. Sometimes someone does spot something you thought was tat but is not. Showing everything just shows the realism of detecting, tiny ratio of interesting finds compared to the scrap. Some beginners come into the hobby thinking they will dig a Hammered or whatever on every signal.
Anyway good luck and we will look forward to seeing what you dig up in the future.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Many thanks Dave! I'm loving it, but have a huge array of iron already! oh, and those .303 shell casings.... :roll:
brambleton

HolzHammer wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 2:03 pm Welcome Brambleton! I am glad you found it ok and you'll soon find your feet... and once you have a decent ID on something you won't forget it next time you get something similar... soon it will be you saying " I'm afraid that's only shrapnel not medieval decorated copper..."
Al the Best
Alexander
Thank you!
I have the best examples of decorated shrapnel.... :roll:
Thanks for the heads up for this forum, and all the guidance in your vids - they are so informative (and I love seeing the ring ouzel et al ;) )