Surprise bottle dumb....What an afternoon.....

Emily

Oxgirl wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:48 pm Lol I’m still laughing at Allectus’s reaction :rollinglaughing:

Hope the lawn still looks OK :shock: Seriously though the bottle dump must have been fun. Love the codd bottle. Is the silver thin actually silver or a white metal? It’s hard to tell in photos.
The silver thing is definitely silver in colour, but I think it might be plated as the under metal is coming through. There’s text on the edge on both sides, but I can’t make it out.
Attachments
6614D92D-D322-4F72-A885-53AA84E25605.jpeg
AD54AE5C-17B0-4DBE-8C10-358A21C845B3.jpeg
7FF74E15-9997-4101-AA98-52CAB74BB123.jpeg
7BEB40D1-B6AA-43F3-A547-FE41A9BCE890.jpeg
Live long and prospect
Emily

alloverover wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:06 pm |Thats absolutely wonderful Emily, very well done indeed, great stuff and well explored :D :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thank you. ☺️ It’s been suggested that the hole could go deeper and have older finds in, but I’m not sure...I have a feeling that it’s isolated, and also don’t know if the owner would allow me to re-dig and make deeper the hole I already made....it is his garden after all. 🤦‍♀️
Live long and prospect
Emily

Easylife wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:16 am What a interesting unexpected turn and some great finds there Emily, gee it looks like a time team dig! :shock: :lol:
Great fun but no doubt just the first of many bottle pits there especially with such an old house! I'd guess that the square inkwell is the oldest but await Kenleyboy's thoughts. It sounds a great plot to fully investigate. :thumbsup:
Thank you. ☺️ It’s been suggested that the hole could go deeper and have older finds in, but I’m not sure...I have a feeling that it’s isolated, and also don’t know if the owner would allow me to re-dig and make deeper the hole I already made....it is his garden after all and I can’t leave an open pit in it. I’d have to fill it in every time. 🤷‍♀️ What should I do??
Live long and prospect
Emily

Dave The Slave wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:56 am Well done Emily.
You said you wanted some bottles and have now dug your own.
The Silvery fluted metal piece looks familiar, think i may have dug one.
You have a very tolerant and interested owner there.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Hi Dave, I know. How lucky am I!! I’m just so sad that the poison bottle broke. When I first started pulling them up I was so excited that I might find one, and was so disappointed that it was broken. 😔 I doubt I’ll find another one.
Live long and prospect
Emily

Ladybird66 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:34 am Gee-wizz Emily. What a day you had and in such ideal surroundings.
Kenleyboy (Paul) will put you right on cleaning the bottles. The little silver thingy might be a cigar case, common in 1800/early 1900’s.
Very strange that they were buried in boxes, sounds like someone had a ‘clear out’. Don’t think there were any Skips back then.
I know there are 2 old cars buried somewhere in my field. The owner is still living down the lane and told me a group of them, as teen-angers used to have races around the field. I’ve found a good selection of parts of them.
You’ll certainly remember the day with fond memories in the future. Some nice ‘keepers’ to add to the memory.
Well found :thumbsup: and definitely well dug. That’s the kind of friends to have :D
What a day indeed!! My husband is not thrilled that I suddenly had more things to bring home to our tiny house. 😂🤦‍♀️

It’s possible that it could be a cigar case, but it’s very small for a cigar. Only around 5/6cm. 🤔

Those cars must cause chaos when the detector goes over them. Honestly. Burying cars....you’d think someone would want cars for scrap. Even back then. 🤷‍♀️

Some are saying that it’s as you said someone having a ‘clear out’ but others are saying that the hole could go deeper. I don’t think I can justify excavating the same hole again considering it’s location in the lawn, but could be missing bottles if there isn’t any metal around them to cause me to search it. Ahh!! What I dilemma. 🤦‍♀️
Live long and prospect
Reiver

Wow ! Good work Emily .
All that from one hole ! Some great finds there too.
Well found and well saved :thumbsup:
Reiver.
stanslad

Well done Emily
Who's on the codd bottle, is it a Carter's 3 B's Banbury Brackley & Buckingham?
It's got a double pinch neck, to hold the marble back when pouring the pop out,
There's got to be a tip at that derelict water mill down the track from you, work now starts on it in Late Summer/Autumn, I'll give you the heads up when the diggers there scraping the top off,
I'll be round next week, to do your electrical certificate.
Clint :thumbsup:
Emily

stanslad wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:07 pm Well done Emily
Who's on the codd bottle, is it a Carter's 3 B's Banbury Brackley & Buckingham?
It's got a double pinch neck, to hold the marble back when pouring the pop out,
There's got to be a tip at that derelict water mill down the track from you, work now starts on it in Late Summer/Autumn, I'll give you the heads up when the diggers there scraping the top off,
I'll be round next week, to do your electrical certificate.
Hi Clint, it’s a Kilby and Co of Banbury.

I agree!! I can’t wait to try and discover it. Keep me updated!! The pile of soil that we searched has grown significantly in size more has bee added. When can you come and search it with me next??

Great, see you next week.
Live long and prospect
stanslad

Emily wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:22 pm Hi Clint, it’s a Kilby and Co of Banbury.

I agree!! I can’t wait to try and discover it. Keep me updated!! The pile of soil that we searched has grown significantly in size more has bee added. When can you come and search it with me next??

Great, see you next week.
A Kilby is better & rarer than a Carter's so that's good,
I saw the pile of top soil had grown when I was called out to the big converted dairy a week ago & drove up past it, I'll call in to farmer Friday & discuss more work, so will persuade him to let us on the pile & field again.
Emily

stanslad wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:35 pm A Kilby is better & rarer than a Carter's so that's good,
I saw the pile of top soil had grown when I was called out to the big converted dairy a week ago & drove up past it, I'll call in to farmer Friday & discuss more work, so will persuade him to let us on the pile & field again.
Oh yay to both things!! ☺️
Live long and prospect
Easylife

Emily wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:05 pm I can’t leave an open pit in it. I’d have to fill it in every time. 🤷‍♀️ What should I do??
You need to buy that house and dig the whole garden up! :lol:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Emily

Easylife wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:27 pm You need to buy that house and dig the whole garden up! :lol:
The house would cost more than my life was worth I’m afraid. 🤦‍♀️ I don’t know if there are restrictions on that sort of stuff considering the house and surrounding barns are all very highly listed. 🤷‍♀️
Live long and prospect
alloverover

Emily wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:31 pm The silver thing is definitely silver in colour, but I think it might be plated as the under metal is coming through. There’s text on the edge on both sides, but I can’t make it out.
This is an old valve cap of an early pneumatic tyre Emily, I found one years ago, mine was stamped BERGOUGNAN ( the makers).

Here it is, and a bit of advertising from back in the day :thumbsup:
Attachments
s-l640.jpg
rsz_20190506_111419[1].jpg