New app - what do you think?

Oxgirl

Interesting new offering. Will you be getting it? As someone who only detects on my own land I can’t see the point as I would worry about location security. I certainly don’t fancy getting tracked by anyone! And I don’t need pay to dig land. Would you though?

https://just-detect.com/
61E779BF-BE6D-414E-8ABC-CB73AC52DDA9.jpeg
E6748B4E-C736-4886-82CE-27DA20D055B7.jpeg
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Dave The Slave

Definitely not, happy to remain an App free individual.
Scoring points, moving up the league ?
No way, Cath.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
shaggybfc

Nope..... just another making scheme like the FB groups..... phone for photos and geo coordinates is good enough for me.
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
Pete E

No, I can't see any attraction or benefit to me...I am a very reluctant and late user of FB and I am certainly not interested in logging all my finds with some unknown entity..?.
Blackadder43

Phase 1 is ok ish as its basically a social media app where you can store photos and show them to others
Bit like our free forum here :thumbsup:
But
If their process of recording is simpler than the PAS format, then it will naturally take folk away from PAS recording to do it on this easily accessable app
The wording makes it almost sound like it is going to become an official recording area
All this does is fragment the records, which makes it an impossible puzzle to piece together again in the future
More effort should be made by the PAS to streamline their process, make it much easier to record the more basic of items, such as the buckles as an example

Phase 2 however is worrying
If it takes off then the lure of money to huge farms or estate farms will close these down to the single detectorists, and to an extent clubs too
It is pure greed to do this, has been done in the past, is still being done now and will inevitably spell the end of metal detecting as a hobby, and turn it into a select money making business, which to be honest we arent a million miles away from already

I thought the whole point of finding these long lost items was to enhance the countries understanding of our past?
Not fill the pockets of get rich quick schemes

Wide berth from me
jcmaloney

If nobody signs up then it falls at the first hurdle.

The permissions have probably been well used already based on who`s business plan it is.

It can`t/won`t be compatible with PAS.

Imagine all those "Wot is it" posts from social media being used as records. :lol:

Wide berth & bargepole for me but there will be plenty of suckers fall for it... :thumbdown:
I`m Marmite me. Opinionated, obstinate and somewhat tenacious.
figgis

:shock:

Not interested in the slightest :thumbdown:

It appears to be yet another attempt by somebody to cash in on the current popularity of detecting. Free app, maybe, but the information it garners is infinitely sellable and open to misuse.

Some will go for it, but I simply can't see the value to seasoned detectorists with their own land anda well-established relationship with their FLO.
the-roman

There are, unfortunately, a lot of detectorists out there these days that seek fame and fortune and this will provide them with yet another platform. just look at the amount of you tubers fighting over each other to get you to sign up their channel. Not for me. to me this is an amazing hobby, but sadly it's has become a commodity :thumbdown:
Easylife

Not for me, but out of interest one of the directors runs Detectival.
IMG_20210611_230839.jpg
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
jcmaloney

Many years ago one of the people involved created a business or "exclusive club" called "Hunters Corporate".
That fell flat on its face.

Then came the culture of "celebrity" to the hobby and some realised there was "value" to be made from the hobby.
So the "mega rally" was born.

This is the next step of that evolution.

If people don`t fund it it doesn`t happen.
Reiver

Not for me ! :thumbdown:
Reiver.
figgis

jcmaloney wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:38 am If people don`t fund it it doesn`t happen.
Absolutely, John :thumbsup: The responses here perhaps typify those of the more seasoned detectorist but with the hobby's recent spurt of popularity fuelled in part by the mass of those without land of their own, the lure of the "pay to detect on these farms in these countries when you want" will have people subscribing. Until it all falls flat on its face as these things often do.
TerraBritannia

Not for me either.

I spotted this thread on Twitter, you may need to click on the image for it to show.

TerraBritannia [previously known as TerraEnglandia] but Andy is my real name.
https://www.youtube.com/TerraBritannia
Minelab Equinox 800
jcmaloney

I would like to know how they think the average "in field" photograph will come anywhere near the standard needed for proper recording?
As a self recorder it is the one thing I really struggle with at home let alone out on site!

And as for the data............. so a solo detectorist uses the app makes lots of finds............ then gets "eased off" by the app people paying so that others can use it and make them more money......

In Dragons Den styli I`m out.
figgis

jcmaloney wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:16 pm I would like to know how they think the average "in field" photograph will come anywhere near the standard needed for proper recording?
As a self recorder it is the one thing I really struggle with at home let alone out on site!
Exactly. And where's the all-important scale coming from? This "feature" just a sop to say, "hey, look how responsible our app is with regards recording" when in actual fact it appears to fall well short of the required standards and according to Andy's post above it won't mesh with the system anyway.

I'm all for innovation to enhance the hobby but this just seems to be a get-rich-quick scheme which will do nothing other than line the pockets of the developers.