A boring back lawn.

Easylife

Our last house the gardens were all hard landscaped, but this one has a back lawn. So with 85 years of occupation I expected a fair few finds to come from it, but there were not really! Just two coins, a 1989 2p, and a 1999 US dime which later came from a flower bed! Half a dozen bits of foil and the same in lead though some of that was no doubt from when it was previously fields. It just goes to show how unpredictable it can be! It would seem that the other house owner's didn't party in the back garden as not so much as a bottle top or ring pull! :shock: :-? :lol:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Pete E

Easylife wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:53 am Our last house the gardens were all hard landscaped, but this one has a back lawn. So with 85 years of occupation I expected a fair few finds to come from it, but there were not really! Just two coins, a 1989 2p, and a 1999 US dime which later came from a flower bed! Half a dozen bits of foil and the same in lead though some of that was no doubt from when it was previously fields. It just goes to show how unpredictable it can be! It would seem that the other house owner's didn't party in the back garden as not so much as a bottle top or ring pull! :shock: :-? :lol:
Doesn't sound like Time Team will be wanting to put a pit in there! :lol:

My garden is even worse as it seems the builders just raked the rubbish from the build and turfed over it...I ve had scraps of flashing lead, off cuts of copper pipe, some brick ties, and part of a metal 1gallon (oil?) can which in fairness probably predates the house..

I recall reading an entry on PAS about a BA Palstave being found in a garden not too far from me by someone digging a flower bed over so you never know...
Dave The Slave

There are plenty of metal signals in my 1936 back garden. Only ever dug one hole. No doubt mainly the springs from clothes pegs etc. Literally 100 yds away, when the adjoining road was built at the same time, a Bronze Age Cremation bowl was found.
I showed respect to the lawn and now there are at least 20 large Brown patches where a weed killer has been used on Dandelions. :o
This is how i imagine you or the landowner fear their pasture will look like, after detecting.
I`ve always gone down the Organic route of trying to get as much root out as possible, problem is they run deep.
Just noticed the first crop of Gooseberries have been picked while i was asleep this morning. No doubt heading for a " Jumble Crumble " where you put in any fruit you have available, usually a combination of Strawberries, Apples, Rhubarb or Blackberries, topped off with some custard or ice cream, cream or just plain. Now i`m drooling.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Easylife

Pete E wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:43 pm
I recall reading an entry on PAS about a BA Palstave being found in a garden not too far from me by someone digging a flower bed over so you never know...
Funnily enough there is also a record of a Neolithic stone axe being found in a neighbouring garden to me.
Steve RC

The builders seemed to have used my house plot for their rubbish as well. The only item of any age was .45 bullet.
shaggybfc

I live in a 1960 council house - the garden is full of rubbish - no chance of finding anything there. I did some landscape work several years ago and uncovered an old aluminium greenhouse, complete with broken glass buried at 2 foot.... I guess back in the day people just buried the rubbish that couldn't be burned..
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
figgis

Yar, we've come across all sorts when digging foundations for extensions - metal beds, broken sinks, artificial limbs, asbestos-type roofing, you name it :thumbdown:
Easylife

It's traditional to bury stuff to get rid. I once incorporated a load of asbestos guttering into a shed base. :? :thumbsup:
Kenleyboy

I faired quite well in my garden but to be fair the rear part was originally part of the old Drovers pub grounds until the last owners bought a section of the land . It threw up some interesting bits one being a medieval loom weight with some decoration . A number of coins from Georgian to Victorian , few buckles and a silver decorative chain link which I have been told was probably part of a watch attachment .
Two small bottle pits , late 30s era but I do find shards of early glass most likely from the original pub grounds . Plenty of clay pipe stems but no full bowls .
Easylife

Kenleyboy wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:16 pm Plenty of clay pipe stems but no full bowls.
Why do you think that is? I find plenty of bits of stem but barely any bowls at all. I wonder if they were snapped off a broken stem and kept? :Thinking:
stanslad

Easylife wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:56 pm Why do you think that is? I find plenty of bits of stem but barely any bowls at all. I wonder if they were snapped off a broken stem and kept? :Thinking:
Every now & then the stem at your mouth would clog up due to the smoke meeting the saliva & forming a tar type paste, so it was easier & quicker to snap an inch off than spend time trying to unclog it, the bowl was thrown away when it was to short to hold in the mouth without burning the lip & face.
Clint :thumbsup:
Easylife

stanslad wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:06 pm Every now & then the stem at your mouth would clog up due to the smoke meeting the saliva & forming a tar type paste, so it was easier & quicker to snap an inch off than spend time trying to unclog it, the bowl was thrown away when it was to short to hold in the mouth without burning the lip & face.
Clint :thumbsup:
Well that would certainly explain it! :thumbsup:
Oxgirl

My house is 17th century and yet the oldest find I have unearthed is less than 100 years old. Not that much rubbish but lots of cables and pipes, etc.

Have found a tennis ball sized round red clay ball though whilst gardening. Convinced it’s a Roman projectile :lol:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Easylife

Oxgirl wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:11 am My house is 17th century and yet the oldest find I have unearthed is less than 100 years old. Not that much rubbish but lots of cables and pipes, etc.
It has probably been re-landscaped with tons of new earth on it! :lol:
Oh but just wait until you run your Deus 2 over it! :shock: :thumbsup:
BuriedByTime&Dust

Easylife wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:53 am Our last house the gardens were all hard landscaped, but this one has a back lawn. So with 85 years of occupation I expected a fair few finds to come from it, but there were not really! Just two coins, a 1989 2p, and a 1999 US dime which later came from a flower bed! Half a dozen bits of foil and the same in lead though some of that was no doubt from when it was previously fields. It just goes to show how unpredictable it can be! It would seem that the other house owner's didn't party in the back garden as not so much as a bottle top or ring pull! :shock: :-? :lol:
Same here. The house was built around 1830, but the oldest coin I've found in the garden was a 2p from the 1970s :thumbdown: