Digging with Dad

stanslad

Dad first took me bottle digging in the early 1970s, as I was about 8 I’d rake through the spadefuls of earth he’d shovel out the hole looking for finds like small bottles, pipes, dolls heads etc, as I grew up we’d still go now & then, after I packed up playing football at weekends in 1989 Dad said we need to do something or we’ll both be dragged to the bloody shops every weekend, so that Christmas I got a detector & that was the start of it, we had bad days, good days & great days out on local permissions, but every day was special, the two of us out in the countryside hunting for history while having a laugh & messing about, every now & then out detecting he’d disappear after spotting a bit of bottle in the hedge or ditch & I’d find him digging a hole looking for more, the years soon past but he was still as keen to get out with me even at the age of 92, the last few years as he was loosing his strength the rolls were reversed, as I’d dig the soil out & he would sort through with the pinpointer to reveal what we got, great times & great memories.
Rest in peace Dad
Stan Barker 1929-2021

Clint
Attachments
02E6866E-05AC-4128-87B4-8F510D85B5AB.jpeg
8BD71680-CF46-4339-826A-6676340D1807.jpeg
A25F4B37-9E78-4FBC-96A6-6A1D38487B6E.jpeg
2B74DF6D-D09E-4689-B2B6-6E799F92C153.jpeg
Pete E

Some wonderful memories Clint, and thanks for sharing them...
Dave The Slave

Thanks for sharing your memories, Clint. Your Dad must have been one of the pioneers of the hobby.
No doubt a few of us, were introduced into Detecting via our Dad.
Mine brought home a Detector in the late 70`s, came out the 1st couple of times and then let myself and my Brother use it by ourselves after that. My Dad must have wanted to get back into detecting, shortly before he died as there is a boxed detector unused at my Mums.
Now my youngest Son occasionally comes out with me and although i often have to check the signal, so disrupting my detecting, they are the best occasions and hold the lasting memories..
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Oxgirl

Clint I am really sorry to hear Stan is no longer with you. I know you two had many adventures together and, by the sound of things, a wonderful relationship built on many thousands of hours sharing your hobbies together.

Big hugs to your whole family. I’m sure his spirit will still be walking beside you in the field, hold on to that x
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
figgis

So sorry to hear about your dad, Clint. A sad time for you and your family but your time together in the field must have provided you with so many fond memories to cherish. To have spent a lot of time together pursuing a common interest is a special thing for father and son to have shared.

All the best.
joemole

stanslad wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:47 pm Dad first took me bottle digging in the early 1970s, as I was about 8 I’d rake through the spadefuls of earth he’d shovel out the hole looking for finds like small bottles, pipes, dolls heads etc, as I grew up we’d still go now & then, after I packed up playing football at weekends in 1989 Dad said we need to do something or we’ll both be dragged to the bloody shops every weekend, so that Christmas I got a detector & that was the start of it, we had bad days, good days & great days out on local permissions, but every day was special, the two of us out in the countryside hunting for history while having a laugh & messing about, every now & then out detecting he’d disappear after spotting a bit of bottle in the hedge or ditch & I’d find him digging a hole looking for more, the years soon past but he was still as keen to get out with me even at the age of 92, the last few years as he was loosing his strength the rolls were reversed, as I’d dig the soil out & he would sort through with the pinpointer to reveal what we got, great times & great memories.
Rest in peace Dad
Stan Barker 1929-2021

Clint
What a lovely write up . I honestly filled up . It sounds like he was a great bloke. God bless him. And you .
Blackadder43

Stan sounded like a Dad that we all wish we could have
RIP fella
Loads of good memorys and those stay with you forever

Take note if you get a signal and decide not to dig, and then you fall over in the mud.....go back and dig that signal

Hugs to you and your family

Feel free to start your own thread with stories and photos of some of your adventures and finds Clint, like a permanent scrapbook of both your detecting adventures over the years
alloverover

Sorry to hear your news Clint, he has always sounded like a great Dad whenever ive heard the storys about him you have told, youve had me in stitches with them at times :D .
Will be a huge gap in your life mate but you had a great time together and enjoyed each others company long after a lot of folk, you have great memorys Clint and time as they say, is a great healer, all the best mate, take care, Phil
Easylife

Sorry to hear of your loss Clint, but what special times you both had and the memories live on.
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
shaggybfc

So sorry to hear this Clint. The special relationship you had with your dad is clear to see. You’ll always be Stanslad, keeping his memory alive.
Much love
Andi
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
stanslad

Many thanks lovely people for your kind words,
It won't be the same out without Dad, but I'll still be chatting away to him while detecting & digging.
Good luck to you all when out in those fields.
Clint :thumbsup: