Military Dog Tag / Name Tag 1st RDF

Saffron

Saki wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:42 pm
<cut>

Evan, you are an absolute legend. A legend I tell you
Fantastic and unbelievable research.
This was found in Portlaoise. Not far from where he was born.

Evan, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU

Thanks for those kind words Saki.

I did wonder where the dogtag was found, its good news that it was found in the area where he would have been living :thumbsup:
Like Dave I had always thought of dogtags as a Great War (or more recent) item so interesting that this one was much earlier.

I admit this one did seriously test me :pulling hair out: :pulling hair out: !!. I have had to use some new resources that I had not used before, you never know they might come in useful in the future!.

Sorry about the inital wild goose chase about the Boar War, but with the limited information available at that time it looked a good possibility - at least it gave some background information on the RDF. Who knows as the RDF suffered heavy casualties in the Boar War, including in the defence of Ladysmith, maybe Thomas Kane's weak ankle might have saved his life - even if he came back home uninjured how different his life would have been.

As for where I found the information to confirm who he was .... do not ask ... lets just say if I had posted my thoughts at the time the post would rightly have been deleted and I would (again rightly) have had a very firm warning!!!

I have also learnt a lot about Court Of Enquiries ...... thanks to Cath who I am sure was hoping for a more "scandalous" outcome than the mundane case it turned out to be.

I have been doing family history for about 40 years at a guess, and have often worked with professional geneologists, yet there is always something new to learn ..... and researching this man proved that!.

Evan
Blackadder43

Lovely to see you have been out and about with your machine Saki :thumbsup:

Great research and information too Saffron
I concur with Saki in the use of the word Legend :clapping:
Saffron

Thanks BA.

I have found his birth -
Name: Thomas Kane
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1879
Registration District: Mountmellick
Birth Country: Ireland

But as he is in Ireland that is about my limit (there are other Thomas Kane's in the same area and I can not determine if the other records I can see are our man or one of the others), as I only full access to the UK records and not Irish.

Evan