Playing with data

TheFenTiger

So I have been spending the last few weeks loading my coin find spots in to excel for my own records and to see if I can see any patterns. This is one of my most productive fields and has nearly 350 years of history in it in coins. I have a bit more work to do as I haven't got all points in yet but I wanted to see how the different coins compared. I am still trying to work out if it is a settlement or if it is a trading site. Far too widely dispersed to be a scattered hoard which was one initial thought. About 150m wide by 200m long.

The white point is Saxon, the yellow pin John or earlier, pink Henry III, green Edward I/II and blue Edward III.

Dave
Easylife

No doubt the plough has moved them about but certainly a concentration of the blue so maybe a purse loss there with the rest just random losses on an active site? :Thinking:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Saffron

Very well done on keeping such comprehensive records.

Sadly in this case I am not convinced it proves anything, apart from what a great field you have there, but there certainly are cases where it would (I have seen an example where it revealed an old unkown track / path).

Evan
Dave The Slave

Interesting info.
Was asked to look at a similar, finds from a field last year.
Looking at yours, also going for the Blues.
Think they have been moved to the top of the field, from the hotspot by numerous times of ploughing and cultivation. Then moved along the top of the field by same method and then down the right hand side.
Looking at older maps may reveal this may have been 2 or 3 smaller fields and that what is now the width of your one field was the length of a smaller field.
Certainly a lot of coins for that area.
Good Luck on future finds from there.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Pete E

I wonder how many coins are picked up and moved by simply being stuck in the mud on a tractors wheels???
Saffron

Dave The Slave wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:15 pm <cut>
Looking at older maps may reveal this may have been 2 or 3 smaller fields and that what is now the width of your one field was the length of a smaller field.
<cut>
An excellent point by Dave about the smaller fields. The vast bulk of large fields, and even a lot of meduim sized fields, in the past would have been several smaller fields. Each of these small fields might have had very different activity in the past.

Evan
TheFenTiger

I have looked back and actually this field extended into the field to the north. You can just see the ghost of the boundary above pink point 12. I think there was a pond in the field as there is a dip. Not much in the way of artefacts. A couple of seals, a purse bar and lamp hanger have come out. It is fairly close to a manor but they must have been well paid to lose that amount of coinage. Edward coinage ranges from half pennies to a quarter noble and every denomination between the 2 and a fair few York mint coins. If it was a purse loss / hoard it has been spread massively over the years and contained a large mix of denominations. There are a lot of Henry fractions across the field.

Next task now I know how to do it is to label each spot with denomination as well as ruler.
Dave
Leeloo

That’s great, out of interest have you looked on the older earlier 1800’s maps. There are a few sites covering that series now including the Archi site. Although there are scale issues with them with lots of position errors they can highlight potential earlier field boundaries

I use this site but its a bit fiddly to navigate

http://britishlibrary.georeferencer.com ... C05oytlhvM#
Manticore
Equinox 800
Deus I
Easylife

Leeloo wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:00 am I use this site but its a bit fiddly to navigate

http://britishlibrary.georeferencer.com ... C05oytlhvM#
I took a look but couldn't even get started unless in some foreign place!
Leeloo

Easylife wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:18 pm I took a look but couldn't even get started unless in some foreign place!
Type in a place name on the far left and select all maps. Here is London as an example. You can also change the base map to Google satellite view
Attachments
970F3922-AA34-404E-A432-CCBB1539424B.jpeg
Manticore
Equinox 800
Deus I
Oxgirl

Is there any sign of habitation on that site? Pottery, etc. or many artefacts? I find a high concentration of personal effects like buckles and strap ends on habitation sites but not where there are general losses.

Lovely permission, we’d all like more like that field :D
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Easylife

Oxgirl wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:35 am Lovely permission, we’d all like more like that field :D
But then hammies would become like buttons! Still pretty nice though. :lol:
TheFenTiger

So spent a bit more time.

Here are the Henry III coins

Edward I/II

Edward III

Area of the closest coins

Dave
Easylife

Henry III & Eddy I/II seem to be very evenly spread out, but Eddy III has a focus top left though also there has to be an old pathway to the right due to perfect alignment over say 100m or so? Continue that line and see where it goes as this was likely way before the current field boundaries.