Recovery speed

Saffron

Pete E wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:15 pm I have really changed my approach to Recovery Speed since reading the following blog on the Joan Allen site:

https://joanallen.co.uk/blog/recovery-rate-equinox/

It's also worth watching the associated video.

Many of us will reduce the sensitivity on the Nox to deal with noisy ground....I am now experimenting in increasing the recovery speed instead, or at least first...

Both approaches will result in a loss of depth to a degree, but at least if you increase the Recovery Speed you gain processing speed which will increase target separation.....
I certainly like the logic of your last sentence, and its some thing that I will try (although the logic sounds good I am at this stage not 100% convinced).

That is an interesting blog and video, I had seen it in the past but well worth reasing / watching again.

However, I think I found this more informative https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwNkcPUiQn4 especially as it showed the impact of recovery speed on the required swing speed (also a bit about frequency usage).
In this he recommends: Heavy iron contamination 6-8, general searching 4-6, quiet ground 1-3.

Evan
Saffron

TerraBritannia wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:55 pm I tend to lower the recovery speed if there are very few targets in the ground, it can be the case with ridge and furrow on some of my permisions. The signals do tend to become quite elongated so to speak and they can sound a little odd too.

If I'm on rocky/stoney land, then I'll often use the higher recovery speeds, I really don't want to be digging deep in rocky ground. :Thinking:
Thanks. I think those are good examples of when we should afjust recovery speed due to ground conditions.
FYI: A fair bit of my ground is ridge and furrow (with few targets), while part of the moe permission is bedrock only a few inches below the surface (with even fewer targets :thumbdown: )

Interesting comment about with the lower recovery speed "The signals do tend to become quite elongated so to speak and they can sound a little odd too. ", as mentioned in the video by Gordon.

Evan
Saffron

Oxgirl wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:52 pm Just a question for the Equinox users - with the Deus on say the HOT programme reactivity is set at 3. If it is lowered to 2.5 it makes a big difference to the way the machine performs. All the other settings are unaffected. If you reduce reactivity again to 2 the machine adjusts some other programme settings automatically. So my question is - does that happen with Minelab machines too?

Might be worth checking the other settings if you do mess with reactivity, just so know any unintended consequences :D
TerraBritannia wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:12 pm Not that I've seen Cath. I set everything manually, Recovery Speed, Iron Bias, Frequency etc and those other settings don't change.
Valid question Oxgirl, but on the Nox its as TB said changing the recovery speed does not change anything else.

However as per previous posts it does slightly change the sound of the signal and require slighty adjustments in swing speed to get the maximum benefits.

Evan
Saffron

Blackadder43 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:05 am <cut>
As with all our machines, there is often a trade off on every setting, thats why we have them there to change as each field is different

I havent touched my nox in such a long time that i cant remember how it works, think its gonna take some serious "wooooing" on my part to get back in her good books again :Luv Ya:
In this case the trade off is:
High recovery speed. Better separation, loss of depth.
Slow recovery speed. Better depth, not so good separation.

Hence the need to be willing to change settings to get the best out of the machine in different ground conditions.

Come on BA, take the lady out for a spin, you will both enjoy it. She might even reward you.

Evan
Easylife

With the Nox recovery set to about mid point you'll still likely hear the targets that are really better suited to higher or lower settings, but still not miss them! :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.