I got out!

Easylife

My first time out in about 2 months and I had pre-decided on a particular pasture field not knowing it's condition! I walked across four other empty pasture fields to get to it wondering where all the cattle were? Yep, about 50 cattle were in this one exactly in the area I intended to detect, but a plan is a plan and I had no other! So time to find out if they have a bothersome attitude like some do, so I stood there amongst them setting up and all I can say is that they are the most chilled out mob that I have ever met, not at all spooked, but not very inqisitive either.
IMG_20210709_215237.jpg
The grass in the other fields I passed through was about 8" or so tall but fortunately many patches of this field had been munched right down so I mainly wandered about those areas. But even after about a week of rain showers, some heavy ones too, the ground was really still pretty dry, actually bone dry in some places, but in others maybe just about okay? :Thinking:
So how did we do? Well this field is on the fringe of activity here so not really expecting too many targets but there should be some bits about. Surrounded by the mob of cattle it was quite ironic that my very first target was a cattle tag - lost an earing anyone?, but no takers!
Some more bits showed using Field 1 on the Nox but I kind of just fancied a change, so switched to Gold 1 for the rest of the session. I'm pretty sure that it found exactly the same targets that Field 1 would have but the low numbers really bang in with it being single tone to keep you awake. I mainly wanted to try out the true threshold of the Gold mode on deep targets and had some opertunities where there was no other target response but didn't as the ground was not suitable for digging that deep. Having said that most targets were at about 8" deep and I just left the deeper ones beyond 10".
Sorry I digress, yes the finds, but don't get too excited! I didn't expect much from this field but am content with what it gave me. About 75 targets in about 5 hours, with maybe about 30 of them as keepers?
A few coins, a Co-op 20 shilling token and an 1888 theatre pass for the Theatre Royal, Dury Lane, commemorating the tercentenery of "The Armada". A small Victorian military button and part of a Georgian spectacle buckle. The lead alloy item appears to be part of a toy pistol of 18/19th century. And a powder compact of about 1900.
IMG_20210709_203852.jpg

A spherical lead weight 4.7oz/135g with remains of an iron suspension loop. A terret ring. A lead alloy label for Cox's orange pippins!
IMG_20210709_204021.jpg
A variation of finds, nothing too great but a most enjoyable afternoon on the pasture. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
alloverover

Last aggresive cows I encountered on a regular basis was back in 1988 in South Armarghh, they used to surround a Heli landing in the cuds, they showed no fear of a noisy airborne thing discorging men into there field , I beleive they were trained by the Provos in such tictacs :clapping: , they are clever like that, can even train history to not represent the truth :Party: ( the Provos, not the coos ) .

Nice going by the way :thumbsup: 10 out of 10 for effort Easy :thumbsup:
HolzHammer

Nice work Easy... and you probably had the right approach with the cows! I am very wary of them! I don't come across them very often but when I do they tend to be pretty rough and boisterous!!!!
Blackadder43

Cows hate me, they always make a line straight towards me if i enter their field
I think they smell fear and do it to wind me up :lol:

Nice welcome break from work to get you back in the field again easy :thumbsup:
I've never switched mine to Gold Mode, might try that to see how it squeaks :thumbsup:
Easylife

Blackadder43 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:44 am
I've never switched mine to Gold Mode, might try that to see how it squeaks :thumbsup:
You just need to use discrimination but it is the only mode that has a true threshold which is it's real edge if used. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Dave The Slave

The Theatre pass is a great piece of Social History, shame it was pierced in the Middle in addition to the hole they were made with .
Twenty Shillings, would have been a substantial amount to lose on that Token, another great piece of social.
Also like the Apple tag.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Oxgirl

alloverover wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:20 pm Last aggresive cows I encountered on a regular basis was back in 1988 in South Armarghh, they used to surround a Heli landing in the cuds, they showed no fear of a noisy airborne thing discorging men into there field , I beleive they were trained by the Provos in such tictacs :clapping: , they are clever like that, can even train history to not represent the truth :Party: ( the Provos, not the coos ) .

Nice going by the way :thumbsup: 10 out of 10 for effort Easy :thumbsup:
Being a proud descendant of the long and illustrious Donnelly clan from Tyrone (and having lived there for 4 years) I’d say you’d encounter the stubborn Irish streak bred into every creature on that Island :lol:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
alloverover

Oxgirl wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:05 pm Being a proud descendant of the long and illustrious Donnelly clan from Tyrone (and having lived there for 4 years) I’d say you’d encounter the stubborn Irish streak bred into every creature on that Island :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: very good Cath :D

Funny enough I nearly married a Fermanagh lass, her family were actually dairy farmers :thumbsup:
Oxgirl

alloverover wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:43 pm
Funny enough I nearly married a Fermanagh lass, her family were actually dairy farmers :thumbsup:
Now that sounds like a good story :Thinking: :D
alloverover

Oxgirl wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:58 pm Now that sounds like a good story :Thinking: :D
Mmmm
Oxgirl

alloverover wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:04 pm Mmmm
:rollinglaughing:
figgis

Christ, as thread drift goes, this one's world-class :lol:

Glad you managed to get out, Easy, and I hope to emulate you later today :thumbsup: