Hello from South Glos.

mattjb

Hi, I’m Matt from the Bristol area.
Got back into detecting earlier this year after a break of about 15 years thanks to persuasion from my 9 year old daughter who’s interested in history and a mate from work who wanted to take up detecting.
Have got to say I’ve really got the bug back and am enjoying it.
Still using the old explorer xs that had been resting in the loft all that time but maybe sometime I’ll be investing in something lighter and more modern ! It still does the job though and has turned up some nice finds mainly from pasture so far.
Regards,
Matt
Oxgirl

Welcome and lovely to have you as a member of the hub. Sure you’ll soon be wondering why you stopped doing the hobby 8-)

Look forward to watching your detecting journey and enjoying seeing your finds.
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
mattjb

Oxgirl wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:47 pm Welcome and lovely to have you as a member of the hub. Sure you’ll soon be wondering why you stopped doing the hobby 8-)

Look forward to watching your detecting journey and enjoying seeing your finds.
Thanks for the welcome Oxgirl.I guess I stopped at the time as I only had one permission and kinda lost interest and ended up devoting most of my spare time to fishing which has always been a passion of mine. There are so many similarities between the two hobbies!
After all that time I’ve managed to regain that first permission which now has some more land so 11 new fields to go at when the crops come off. I’ve also been on 3 new permissions ,2 are pasture and I’ve managed some nice bits including a few hammies and some nice medieval buckles. I think medieval stuff is my favourite, though I’ve never found much in the way of Roman. That could change as there was Roman occupation on one of the new permissions but again waiting for crops. So plenty to go at and look forward to!
Blackadder43

Welcome in Matt :thumbsup:
We are a family friendly forum so you are safe to let your daughter see the finds here etc
You are local ish to myself here in sleepy Burnham

Dont hesitate to contact one of us if you need any help with the forum :thumbsup:
mattjb

Thanks for the warm welcome Blackadder.
:thumbsup:
Oxgirl

mattjb wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:03 pm

I think medieval stuff is my favourite, though I’ve never found much in the way of Roman. That could change as there was Roman occupation on one of the new permissions but again waiting for crops. So plenty to go at and look forward to!
You aren’t missing much, Roman stuff is very over rated and the coins are a mare to ID* :lol:

*see my signature ;)
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Easylife

Welcome aboard Matt. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
figgis

Wotcha, Matt, and welcome. Pull up an artefact and make yerself comfy.

While you might from time to time see some strange views aired (see Oxgirl's below), the members here are great and I'm sure you'll slot right in :thumbsup: As Blackadder says - any questions, just ask. The only question that never gets answered is "Where are those jelly beans you promised?" so if BA offers you some by way of a bribe, forget it - you'll never see them :thumbdown:

Hope you enjoy your return to the hobby :thumbsup:
HolzHammer

Hi Matt and welcome!
I hope my 4 and a half year old wants to come out with me in the near future! He loves being outside but I haven’t been able to get him digging yet!
All the Best
Alexander
mattjb

Thanks for the welcome everyone.
I’m sure your boy will enjoy it when he’s a bit older Alexander.
At the moment my Holly is pin pointer operator,I don’t think she’d have the strength in her arms to swing a detector for long.The other problem is finding somewhere prolific enough to keep them interested!
She loves her history though and wants to be an Egyptologist when she grows up, she’ll have to lose her fear of mummies first though! :lol:
Dave The Slave

Welcome Matt and Good Luck in the future.
Look forward to seeing some of your finds.
Always worth a photo of everything, as sometimes what you think may be rubbish, turns out to be identifiable as something else.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.