Detectorcon

joemole

Saffron wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:07 am I will admit the name "Detectorcon" rather worries me, but putting that aside it sounds a good weekend.

The area has history, not that nearby Roman / medieval settlements and previous finds is a guarantee of finds on the rally. It has a large acreage, including plough. So from the detecting aspect looks promising :thumbsup:

How I always treat this kind of event is a social with likeminded people and a common interest. So its a chance to make new friendships, share stories, and maybe even gain some tips. Additionally you have the trade stands so a chance to look at detecting related items (maybe even buy some without the other half knowing) :thumbsup:

Importantly after the last 18 months that we have all had its a chance to get away to some where different and recharge the batteries :thumbsup:

Then you get two days doing a hobby that you enjoy. Obviously finds are not guaranteed, so by using my approach you do not get too upset if your finds are limited. One big advantage of going some distance for a weekend rally is that some finds are much more common in some parts of the country compared with others. For instance I like crotal bells, but with all the hundreds of hours I have put in detecting locally I have never found one, but I sometimes go with a group in the south west and have found 4 with them. So it could well give you a chance of finding something "different" :Party:

Evan
I had tickets for last years but it was cancelled and i got a refund . I didnt even know it was going ahead this year til i read your post . Thats because I'm not on fakebook . Ive been on a few of their digs in the past some good , some not so good but ya never know . I'm gonna look at getting tickets today if theres any left . I'm only 30 minutes drive away . Loads of good lads n lasses will be there and there is alot of history in the area , Roman , medieval and the rest . Should be good .
Jamesey1981

Their website has said they were sold out for quite a while, I think they gave an option to roll over the tickets for last year so I think there were less than 100 available back in January when I booked.

Worth a call to see if there's any day tickets or cancellations going though.
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

I'm a Mortgage Broker, please visit my website for help with your mortgage:
https://denariusmortgages.co.uk/
joemole

Jamesey1981 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:50 am Their website has said they were sold out for quite a while, I think they gave an option to roll over the tickets for last year so I think there were less than 100 available back in January when I booked.

Worth a call to see if there's any day tickets or cancellations going though.
Its sold out mate . I'll keep my eyes peeled for people selling tickets ..good luck . Hope you find some good stuff
Jamesey1981

joemole wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:10 pm Its sold out mate . I'll keep my eyes peeled for people selling tickets ..good luck . Hope you find some good stuff
Good luck, otherwise I'll see you there next year if it's any good.

Jamesey1981

Well then, detectors charged, solar box charged, powerbanks charged, drone charged, ipad charging, car packed, only things that still need to go in the car is the detectors and the electronics, its incredibly hot here so they will be going in later when it's cooled down.

I have triple checked that I have remembered the wine, pretty sure I've packed enough underpants, but that won't matter as long as I haven't forgotten the wine.

Ready for my 0500 start to arrive at the site for 1200, route is planned and the drive is likely to be brutal, but I'll be making good use of my air con and cruise control, and my car is thankfully pretty comfy.

Blackadder43

Dont forget sun cream and hats...you need a hat else your head will likely explode :shock:
Having said that they have given rain for my area this weekend
Whatever though i hope you have a great time and meet up with some old faces, have fun and hopefully find some nice items

Look forward to any ongoing reports we get, even the evening entertainment will be good :clapping:
Jamesey1981

Blackadder43 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:45 pm Dont forget sun cream and hats...you need a hat else your head will likely explode :shock:
Having said that they have given rain for my area this weekend
Whatever though i hope you have a great time and meet up with some old faces, have fun and hopefully find some nice items

Look forward to any ongoing reports we get, even the evening entertainment will be good :clapping:
I always have a hat or a bandana, it's necessary when you have as many gaps in the hair coverage as I do.

Sun cream I keep in my detecting bag anyway.

I'll give you all some updates assuming I have some phone signal.

figgis

Put the wine in the car NOW. The rest is incidental :thumbsup:

Have a great time and look forward to hearing how it goes.
Jamesey1981

figgis wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:05 pm Put the wine in the car NOW. The rest is incidental :thumbsup:

Have a great time and look forward to hearing how it goes.
Wine is in the car now, in a crate with my bottled water and army rat packs. Sneaked a bottle of whisky in too. :)

I'm looking forward to it, even if I find nothing I need some time away, I started a new job at the beginning of February and this is my first time off apart from Bank Holidays, so it's nice to not be at work, and it will be nice to have a change of scenery, haven't been to this part of the country since I lived in Newcastle when I was 6, and that was 34 years ago!

Easylife

It sounds like a great trip Jamesey, a weekend of chilling out. Wandering the field slightly merry without a care in the world, what will be will be and of course you will find some good bits! Keep us posted. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Easylife

So which detector are you taking?
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Jamesey1981

Easylife wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:44 pm So which detector are you taking?
The two light ones, the nox and the deus.

The explorer is just too heavy for a weekend, I like it on the beach as it punches really deep, but it's nowhere near as comfortable to use as the others.

Jamesey1981

Made it up here, one hell of a drive but it was a pretty clear run, there was an accident on the M1 somewhere near Nottingham but my sat nav took me around it.

Beautiful scenery once I turned off the motorway near the site, properly amazing.

Initial impressions are pretty good, loads of marshalls, check in was well organised especially considering a load of people arrived at once, they had a plan to deal with everyone and it worked.

Camping field is flat, dry and OK for banging pegs into, everyone seems friendly and a helpful chap with a beard helped me get my (obviously too large for one person) tent up, most of it I can do on my own but the Initial lift of the two main poles is much easier with two.

Decent amount of toilets, big marquee and a good few food and drink vans, I have brought food with me but I will be having a pint shortly, currently chilling out in my tent letting my dinner go down with some wine.
There's also a butcher's van selling meat to do on your barbecue according to the website which is a nice touch.

Did a couple of hours detecting, nothing much to report except a britannia penny, can't identify the monarch, bit toasted but I think it will clean up. No real green waste that I came across, fair amount of junk targets but the kind of stuff that legitimately belongs on a farm.

One bloke found a roman bronze, don't know if anything else came up.

So far seems good, more land to go at tomorrow, although I only had a couple of hours in me today after the long drive and getting set up.

figgis

Promising start, Jamesey :thumbsup:

Liking the sound of the Roman coin coming up (though others might beg to differ ;) )
Jamesey1981

Day 2 report.

The sun came up far too early and woke me up, the organisers really should have thought of this.

The sun being out did charge up my powerbanks with my little solar setup though, so this worked well.

Band last night weren't bad but I was too tired to stay long, beer from the bar van was welcome.

Toilets have been emptied today rather than left to overflow and fester, this is an interesting new experience given I'm used to music festivals.

More fields today, recently ploughed and disced.

Finds were a little sparse, not just for me, there aren't many in the display, but then not everyone will show theirs.

Land distribution seems a bit odd, had a fair few fields today but loads more being opened tomorrow, seems a bit weird why it isn't an equal number of acres on both full days.

I can't blame the organisers for the lack of finds, there's masses of evidence of activity here, fields are full of coke and iron, but not that many good targets.

I did find this nice little Tynedale Hunt Club button, so there's a nice bit of local history for me. :)
Attachments
20210724_171539.jpg