Detectorcon

figgis

Thanks for the update. Sounds like it's well organised and a few decent finds would round it off nicely. Hope you get to make some tomorrow and meanwhile make full use of the bar van :thumbsup:
Jamesey1981

figgis wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:30 pm Thanks for the update. Sounds like it's well organised and a few decent finds would round it off nicely. Hope you get to make some tomorrow and meanwhile make full use of the bar van :thumbsup:
As I managed to charge up the powerbanks I took my drone up to do a little recce of tomorrow's fields, some interesting looking spots. I was holding off as although I wanted to send the drone up I can use the batteries to charge my detectors, and that is what I'm here for after all.

Weather was forecast to be overcast today but it's been blazing sunshine since about half eleven, bit too hot to be honest, but I have plenty of water so I don't think I'll die, although I probably smell like I have already, there's only so much you can do with a bowl and a cloth...
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

I'm a Mortgage Broker, please visit my website for help with your mortgage:
https://denariusmortgages.co.uk/
alloverover

Jamesey1981 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:24 pm Day 2 report.

The sun came up far too early and woke me up, the organisers really should have thought of this.

The sun being out did charge up my powerbanks with my little solar setup though, so this worked well.

Band last night weren't bad but I was too tired to stay long, beer from the bar van was welcome.

Toilets have been emptied today rather than left to overflow and fester, this is an interesting new experience given I'm used to music festivals.

More fields today, recently ploughed and disced.

Finds were a little sparse, not just for me, there aren't many in the display, but then not everyone will show theirs.

Land distribution seems a bit odd, had a fair few fields today but loads more being opened tomorrow, seems a bit weird why it isn't an equal number of acres on both full days.

I can't blame the organisers for the lack of finds, there's masses of evidence of activity here, fields are full of coke and iron, but not that many good targets.

I did find this nice little Tynedale Hunt Club button, so there's a nice bit of local history for me. :)
Nice button Jamesey, ive got a little display frame going of hunt/sporting buttons, non are actually named though :thumbsup:
Easylife

Jamesey1981 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:24 pm There's masses of evidence of activity here, fields are full of coke and iron, but not that many good targets.
Sounds like a job for the Nox then?
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Easylife

Hope you choose the right bits of land to search and find some good stuff! :thumbsup:
Jamesey1981

Easylife wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:42 pm Sounds like a job for the Nox then?
Actually the deus is doing better so far, with the XY screen you don't dig coke and iron if you know what you're looking at, but you know they're there, and after lunch I took the nox out, found nothing that the deus had missed, the ground is really fluffy and dry, not really nox territory if you have the choice.

One of tomorrow's field has crop marks and swamp grass, that's where the nox will shine.

Saffron

Jamesey1981 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:24 pm Day 2 report.

The sun came up far too early and woke me up, the organisers really should have thought of this.

The sun being out did charge up my powerbanks with my little solar setup though, so this worked well.

Band last night weren't bad but I was too tired to stay long, beer from the bar van was welcome.

Toilets have been emptied today rather than left to overflow and fester, this is an interesting new experience given I'm used to music festivals.

More fields today, recently ploughed and disced.

Finds were a little sparse, not just for me, there aren't many in the display, but then not everyone will show theirs.

Land distribution seems a bit odd, had a fair few fields today but loads more being opened tomorrow, seems a bit weird why it isn't an equal number of acres on both full days.

I can't blame the organisers for the lack of finds, there's masses of evidence of activity here, fields are full of coke and iron, but not that many good targets.

I did find this nice little Tynedale Hunt Club button, so there's a nice bit of local history for me. :)
It sounds a good and well organised event.

Regarding the "Land distribution seems a bit odd, had a fair few fields today but loads more being opened tomorrow, seems a bit weird why it isn't an equal number of acres on both full days." There is probably a valid reason for this, the most likely is that they will have more detectorists tomorrow than today, or they want a marshall in each field and as these are volunteers could only get a limited number today.

As for "Finds were a little sparse, not just for me, there aren't many in the display, but then not everyone will show theirs."
from experience I know that the vast majority of detectorist do not put their finds in the display cabinet - which is rather a shame. On most weekend events you will see more finds in the evening around the bar area than in the finds display!.

On a FB group I am on I have seen some very nice hammereds and a cracking Roman come up and the guys are really happy with the finds. So hang in there the finds will come your way.

Evan
Jamesey1981

Saffron wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:38 pm It sounds a good and well organised event.

Regarding the "Land distribution seems a bit odd, had a fair few fields today but loads more being opened tomorrow, seems a bit weird why it isn't an equal number of acres on both full days." There is probably a valid reason for this, the most likely is that they will have more detectorists tomorrow than today, or they want a marshall in each field and as these are volunteers could only get a limited number today.

As for "Finds were a little sparse, not just for me, there aren't many in the display, but then not everyone will show theirs."
from experience I know that the vast majority of detectorist do not put their finds in the display cabinet - which is rather a shame. On most weekend events you will see more finds in the evening around the bar area than in the finds display!.

On a FB group I am on I have seen some very nice hammereds and a cracking Roman come up and the guys are really happy with the finds. So hang in there the finds will come your way.

Evan
The group that put his rally on do regular Sunday digs so it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they have more coming tomorrow, I would guess that's the reason but its been a bit crowded, hopefully tomorrow won't have such an influx that it's even more crowded.

There have been a few on the group since I wrote the post, I'll never complain that I haven't found anything, unless the organisers are going to go over the land with a GPX 5000 or Standard MP without digging anything they're never going to know, and it must be hard enough finding a landowner willing to let 500 people with shovels camp on their land for a weekend without being picky as well.

My day will be tomorrow, if it isn't then I have a button that I wouldn't have found at home and I have had a fun weekend., although it is pretty chilly now, I'm having a hot chocolate and going to bed. :)

joemole

How was the weekend . Did i miss much .
Jamesey1981

Excuse the lack of a report yesterday, I decided to come home yesterday as I didn't think the portaloos would survive until the morning and I couldn't detect the full day, my ankles gave out at about 1300 so I packed up then.

Still not a huge number of finds for me, although I did find some Georgian coppers, I also found a huge chunk of lead about 18 inches down with the nox that looks old, and look like it might be something, but I have no idea what, I'll stick a picture up later to see if anyone has any ideas. One of those things that is probably nothing but just might be something.

There were some nice finds on the Sunday, one that stuck out for me was a lovely enamelled crossbow brooch.

Guy a couple of tents away found a nicely detailed minim, and three small coin hoards were found, all roman bronze and one had some brooches in with it.

It was funny old land this, there was clearly good stuff there, but a lot of it was deathly quiet, very strange.

Overall I had a good weekend, I didn't personally find much, but I came home with my nice local hunt button, that has made me happy, and it was fun to have a get together.

Everyone I spoke to was friendly, the Marshalls were helpful, the evening entertainment wasn't bad and the beer van had a nice local pale ale on tap.

The scenery was beautiful and although the road to bellingham is terrifying, an endless sucession of blind summits with a corner you can't see until you are over the top straight after them with a 40 foot unguarded drop, you couldn't have picked a prettier place to hold a rally.

My cheapo Chinese solar panel set up worked admirably, charged up a 10,000mAh powerbank by the time I had finished eating my lunch on the Saturday and provided all the lighting I have needed over the weekend.

All in all it was a good weekend and I'd happily attend again, if I don't go next year it will because there's another rally that I want to go to at the same time or because I don't fancy the drive, it's been a while since I have driven across the Tyne and the Thames in one day.

Blackadder43

Looks and sounds like you had a good time fella, well organised too
Brilliant :thumbsup:
Jamesey1981 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:45 pm Weather was forecast to be overcast today but it's been blazing sunshine since about half eleven, bit too hot to be honest, but I have plenty of water so I don't think I'll die, although I probably smell like I have already, there's only so much you can do with a bowl and a cloth...
This did make me chuckle, but i couldnt even last a day in the fields
I like my shower everyday and i like my own potty too :lol:

Cheers for the updates, made for some good reading :clapping:
Jamesey1981

Blackadder43 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:56 am Looks and sounds like you had a good time fella, well organised too
Brilliant :thumbsup:
This did make me chuckle, but i couldnt even last a day in the fields
I like my shower everyday and i like my own potty too :lol:

Cheers for the updates, made for some good reading :clapping:
I did take a solar shower that I was using for hot water, but unless you have a handy tree or a van or big 4x4 to hang it from then you can't really shower with it, my sporty little volvo is just too low for shower support!

I have a portaloo as well, and a mini tent for it to go in, it's an interesting 70s colour scheme of pastel green and purple and came out of my sadly scrapped 60s vintage avondale caravan, I do miss that caravan, but the chassis was beyond repair, it was more weld than metal by that point, whatever I did I couldn't stop the rust. I don't have a towbar now anyway.

I don't take the portaloo to events like this as unless they specifically say that there will be somewhere to empty it then you end up trying to tip it out into an already fairly full communal bog, and that just isn't fair on everyone else, there's also no way I'm putting it back in the car unless it's had a good hose out with running water!

joemole

Sounds good to me . Its not all about loadsa finds is it . My ex missus went . Ive just been talking to her . She found a load of blank buttons but also a nice roman brooch . Im not jealous ( honestly ) . Someone she knows got pinged and had to sell their ticket . Pingdemics not all that bad is it . Haha
Attachments
download_20210726_123456.jpg
figgis

Thanks for the running commentary and the overall review, Jamesey. Really useful when it comes to deciding to attend future digs or not :thumbsup:
Easylife

Jamesey1981 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:16 am It was funny old land this, there was clearly good stuff there, but a lot of it was deathly quiet, very strange.
I have a large pasture field like that, some Roman and Saxon next door, the only thing that puts me off is the bleedin' greenwaste, but I know that there will be some great finds there. It'll keep! :D