Help where you can.

Saffron

I suspect that the vast majority (99%?) of us do not pay to detect on our permissions. But hopefully we all give the landowner a "little something" at Christmas as a "Thank you" - if not you should!!.

But how many actually help the landowner out when we could?. Just have a think and if you can help offer to do so.

As an example this afternoon I was out detecting on a livery yard / ridding school permission when suddenly I see a young blonde lady walking towards me (certainly not my normal experience when detecting!!). I wonder what she wants, but as I have permission to detect there I am not worried. Turns out its just a very polite "Just warning you that we will turn out 4 ponies in a few minutes". I thank her for the warning and say I am used to horses but will be careful. A bit after I notice her coming towards the field with one pony on a lead rope and the other 3 following. She walks past and takes the one into the next field, but the other 3 are heads down on the fresh grass in the field I am in. Her efforts at calling them are a waste of time, and her idea of chasing them in is an even bigger waste of time and I knew would never be successful. She starts to try again and gets out her mobile about to phone back to the stable yard to get re-enforcements. But I say "Come on" and join in, between her waving a leadrope and me a spade we soon get the desired result. One person on thier own could never have moved them. Once there the ponies are happy in the next field with fresh grass and she has completed the move with out needing to call others from the jobs they were doing. It only cost me a few minutes of my time, but it made a much bigger difference to her (she seemed surprise to find I was happy with horses and willing to help out).

When I packed up I saw her again and reiterated to say if I could help any time, and straight after saw the landowner and said what had happend and repeated the offer to help. Serious brownie points earnt all around :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

It does not have to be a "big" effort on our behalf to help our landowners, but it can make a big difference to them (or their staff). So if you see anybody doing something think "Would that be easier with an extra pair of hands", if so offer to help.

Evan
the-roman

Quite agree, always good to help out if you can without getting in the way. I have helped out a few times on farms more commonly helping to stand pregnant sheep back up. sometimes they roll over on their back when pregnant and cannot get up on their own so a bit of effort is needed to gently get them up again :thumbsup:
Jamesey1981

Even if its just a hand backing up a tractor with a trailer on it it's appreciated.

I used to drive articulated buses and backing up something that size through a tight space is nerve-racking, much nicer if there's someone handy that can act as banksman.

One of my farmers actually asked me to back the trailer through a gap as he knew I used to drive the buses, they were all parked in the depot with less than eight inches clearance on each side, and they're nearly 60 feet long, I got pretty good at reversing them, mainly because it was either that or do a load of paperwork for crashing the bus....
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

I'm a Mortgage Broker, please visit my website for help with your mortgage:
https://denariusmortgages.co.uk/
Blackadder43

The most memorable "help" i got roped into was back in 2010 i think it was
Christmas eve and christmas day, and the weather if you go back and look was one of the worst on record for our area
I remember it being -10 early morning
I kid you not it was freezing, made your bones freeze inside

Farmer rang me and said his helper was sick and he was struggling due to the extreme cold weather to get the feed out to the cows and break the ice for them to drink
Those few days was an experience i can tell you.... :shock:

The funniest help i gave was on a sheep farm
One of her rare sheep had gotten its head stuck in the wire fence inside the hedgerow
So me not really paying attention straddled the sheep from behind and got to working her head out of the wire netting
After lots of sweat and a tonne of curse words i could hear roaring laughter behind me
I looked around and there was the lady farmer in hysterics as you can imagine what i looked like from her perspective :oops:

A permission gaining tip is if you have a trade then you can always barter with old school farmers, has worked for a few of our members that i know of
One guy did some electrical work that took a few hours with little cost and bartered permission to detect the famers land.....friendship made and bartering completed