Almost bottle digging!

Easylife

With a few hours to spare I thought I would try a pasture field that I haven't been on for a couple of years, there is usually a good reason why I haven't been back on a particular field but I usually forget what it was after a while. Each field seems quite characteristic and when I switched on the detector it suddenly brought back the memories of it being a bit trashy near the road but with a fair spread or iron about. It never produced much in particular before bar an unusual 17th century horse shoe and still didn't this time either really.
The first target was a little wax polish tin followed by a Vaseline jar and I thought to myself that this was starting to turn into some surreal bottle dig! :laughing:
P1080417.JPG
Then a Georgian drop handle showed to break the initial theme and a tiny thin pierced disc with the lords prayer written on it. Even after about 2 hours I still hadn't had a coin, but as I was already here I chose to stick it out rather than to change fields. But on trying another area it started to produce a few regular targets. A lead shot, a tombac button, and a lead/alloy octofoil knob, which at least was some improvement. But then my first coin of the day finally appeared, a silver, an 1817 George III bullhead shilling, well I wasn't expecting that at all but it was a most welcome find very soon followed by a Vicky half penny. After much more wandering a late 19th century lead bag seal showed, from a sack of flour produced by Concordia steam mills, Budapest, Hungary.
P1080420.JPG
I guess it improved towards the end but just as I was leaving a large mob of bullocks entered from an adjoining field and came charging over, so seems that I timed it about right! Not the best of days but was still quite pleasant in it's own challenging way.
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Oxgirl

It has a similar feel to my new field. It’s fun no knowing what you’ll find next.

Get back there! I can smell more silver for you :D
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Blackadder43

Bottle digging with a detector, nice
Do we need a new sub forum for that category :lol:

Nice mix of stuff though, and its great to have some choices of where to go too :thumbsup:
Easylife

Oxgirl wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:32 am
Get back there! I can smell more silver for you :D
Not a chance in hell, you are most welcome to it. I have much better things to do. :thumbsup: :lol:
Easylife

Oxgirl wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:32 am It’s fun not knowing what you’ll find next?
Err, It's more really like if you will actually find anything next on this one! :lol: :lol: :lol:
figgis

Yar, I have a two-acre meadow bounded by a road on one of the sides and a 15thC moated farmhouse on another. The anticipation of detecting it seemed justified when the first find off it was an Antoninus Pius denarius. Next find was a kettle, and nothing of note has come off it since.

The road end is, as you'd expect, full of rubbish and the moat side even fuller of rubbish, presumably where the moat's been cleaned out of the toot lobbed into it over the years. There are still huge areas of it to go over but I never do because the field doesn't "feel" right.
Dave The Slave

That`s what I like about these random glass finds.
Info to see how old they are, a window into social History.
Strange how most of the Bullheads seem to be 1817.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.