Unexpectedly good day!!! ( But not if you are Oxgirl... though I did find an exceptional buckle!)

HolzHammer

Evening All,
Like most of us I am bit limited at this time of the year but one of my bits of game cover crop was munched by slugs so had to be re-drilled!
So I hit it fairly hard not expecting much as it never proves particularly fruitful... and I found 9 or 10 roman coins in a relatively small area. Not in the best condition I must admit but it felt like a real bonus.

And one of the best buckles I have ever found... and a tiny bronze ring.. its small and thick and I know most people simply write them off as harness rings I am not so sure.. they feel like they must be used for something else - not thick enough to be "beads" but thicker and more rounded than what are more obviously harness related. Anyway I am going to do a bit of a talk about them on my next video so any input to ideas would be very interesting.

And I think in the coin section we have one of the girls on the chunky sestertius and Carausius below - any help if poss on the other two much appreciated... is the reverse on the bottom left soldier with child or Emperor with captive I can't tell the difference!?

All the Best and hope you are all managing to get out a bit!
Pip pip
Alexander
Attachments
AVW_4790.jpeg
AVW_4796.jpeg
AVW_4800.jpeg
mattjb

Nice work, love the buckle,medieval buckles are one of my favourite types of finds. Up until a couple of months ago I’d never found one complete with both pin and plate then found two in less than a week!
Saffron

Nice finds. I know a lot of gardeners that hate slugs, and there seem to be a lot of slugs around this year. But you are the first person I have known to benefit from them :D

Regarding the metal rings I am certain that a lot are from buttons which are formed by repeatedly binding yarn over a disc or ring former. I have seen several old shepherds smocks with these.

These here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorset_button are much more complex and intricate than the plain ones I have seen.
Here is an video showing how simple even patterned ones are to make https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LJ-d9eEG9k so its easy to imagine the local blacksmith producing the metal rings and the agricultural workers wifes making the buttons.

If you look at a list of button back marks, eg http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/pages/button-makers.html, you will see that most are from about 1800, and we find hundreds of these. I believe that before then the bulk of buttons for your normal country person would be the yarn and ring type and that the a lot of the small metal rings are all that remains of them.

Evan
figgis

You've been a busy boy again, innit? Cracking buckle :thumbsup:

Think you're right about the big coin being one of the girls - Faustina the younger? I'd plump for Victorinus top right and the 4thC one could be one of a few - will have a closer look later :thumbsup:

Edit:
The 4thC is of the emperor dragging captive GLORIA ROMANORVM reverse, Lugdunum (Lyons) mint. Still can't decide who it was issued for :?

Edit to the edit:
Can't be certain but I'd plump for Valentinian I
Easylife

That is a super buckle. :thumbsup:
The ring looks very uniform but maybe too chunky for a Dorset button? Thin rings could be from curtains or Dorset buttons. The slightly irregular and filed flat on both sides rings are perhaps medieval onwards and of multipurpose, possibly for hanging things from a belt? Well it's not an exact science! :D
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Oxgirl

Wow that buckle is gorgeous :Star: :Star: :Star:

Those ring thingies were used for so many things that many would be far more decorative than the more profanatory harness ones. Some were used as junction rings between fancy bits of enamelled bling, etc. If found in the Roman area then it could very easily be a Roman one as there are a number found in a Roman context.

Interesting field :D
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
HolzHammer

mattjb wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:23 pm Nice work, love the buckle,medieval buckles are one of my favourite types of finds. Up until a couple of months ago I’d never found one complete with both pin and plate then found two in less than a week!
Thanks Matt - well done! A nice buckle is always a welcome find!
HolzHammer

Oxgirl wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:28 pm Wow that buckle is gorgeous :Star: :Star: :Star:

Those ring thingies were used for so many things that many would be far more decorative than the more profanatory harness ones. Some were used as junction rings between fancy bits of enamelled bling, etc. If found in the Roman area then it could very easily be a Roman one as there are a number found in a Roman context.

Interesting field :D
Thanks Cath... good knowledge!
HolzHammer

figgis wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:23 pm You've been a busy boy again, innit? Cracking buckle :thumbsup:

Think you're right about the big coin being one of the girls - Faustina the younger? I'd plump for Victorinus top right and the 4thC one could be one of a few - will have a closer look later :thumbsup:

Edit:
The 4thC is of the emperor dragging captive GLORIA ROMANORVM reverse, Lugdunum (Lyons) mint. Still can't decide who it was issued for :?

Edit to the edit:
Thanks John - much appreciated... I'm leaning towards Valens.... ( anyone seen Allectus?!)
HolzHammer

Saffron wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:10 pm Nice finds. I know a lot of gardeners that hate slugs, and there seem to be a lot of slugs around this year. But you are the first person I have known to benefit from them :D

Regarding the metal rings I am certain that a lot are from buttons which are formed by repeatedly binding yarn over a disc or ring former. I have seen several old shepherds smocks with these.

These here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorset_button are much more complex and intricate than the plain ones I have seen.
Here is an video showing how simple even patterned ones are to make https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LJ-d9eEG9k so its easy to imagine the local blacksmith producing the metal rings and the agricultural workers wifes making the buttons.

If you look at a list of button back marks, eg http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/pages/button-makers.html, you will see that most are from about 1800, and we find hundreds of these. I believe that before then the bulk of buttons for your normal country person would be the yarn and ring type and that the a lot of the small metal rings are all that remains of them.

Evan
Thanks Evan, much appreciated and thank you for your research and links!
TerraBritannia

Alexander . . . I look at your finds and try to resist the urge to smack my head on the desk, you really do find so many interesting bits and pieces. :D Keep them coming! :thumbsup:
TerraBritannia [previously known as TerraEnglandia] but Andy is my real name.
https://www.youtube.com/TerraBritannia
Minelab Equinox 800
HolzHammer

figgis wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:23 pm You've been a busy boy again, innit? Cracking buckle :thumbsup:

Edit:

Edit to the edit:
Think you are right about Valentinian - TA!
HolzHammer

TerraBritannia wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:48 am Alexander . . . I look at your finds and try to resist the urge to smack my head on the desk, you really do find so many interesting bits and pieces. :D Keep them coming! :thumbsup:
Thanks Andy! I think thats me until Harvest now.... won't be able to resist the stubble though its usually a bit of a waste of time....
TerraBritannia

It's the heat that's putting me off going out. :thumbdown: I have 3 days off now and there's no way I could go and detect in this weather.
TerraBritannia [previously known as TerraEnglandia] but Andy is my real name.
https://www.youtube.com/TerraBritannia
Minelab Equinox 800
Dave The Slave

Always good to see Romans coming up, Alex.
From a relatively small area, would definitely be going back over that.
Nice buckle too, yet to find a complete one.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.