Which one?!

mattjb

I got back into detecting in February this year after a gap of 15ish years.As I still had the explorer xs in the loft I bought a couple of SEF coils and have been using that. Results haven’t been bad and when it comes to the good stuff I’ve been thrashing my newbie mate and his shiny new vanquish!
However I’ve been enjoying it so much that when funds allow I’ve been thinking of upgrading to something more modern and lighter! Stubble bashing this weekend will probably mean I end up with a right arm like Conan the barbarian in a few weeks time!
I’ve watched loads of vids, read through loads of forum posts and it seems to come down to deus or nox. I like the idea of going down the deus lite route then maybe adding a remote later if needed but also the nox 800 is appealing.
From what I’ve read the nox maybe better for depth on pasture but the deus might have the edge on arable especially newly ploughed.
My 4 permissions are ,
1.-30 fields of mainly arable, will be more stubble detecting than newly ploughed.
2.- 10 fields of mostly arable same as above.
3- 5 fields unploughed pasture, been heavily detected by the farmer in the past but I still managed some nice bits with the xs in the right conditions and it’s very local.
4- 3 small fields unploughed pasture, undetected before as far as I know, the 3 hammered I’ve found have been pretty deep.
I know I’m going to get different answers from people who own the different machines but I’d still be interested to see what your opinions are!
Thanks in advance, Matt
Jamesey1981

Just do what I did, check my signature... ;)

I find the deus the most pleasant to use, but I think that the nox finds some things I wouldn't have found with the deus.

I dig more iron with the nox, with the XY screen on the deus and full tones I rarely get fooled, and I don't think I miss much.

The explorer is without a doubt the deepest, but it hurts my arm and it's slow and inconvenient to use.

I would say, if you want it to replace the explorer, get the nox, you're used to minelab, although they are very different machines. If you want to complement the explorer, get the deus.
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

I'm a Mortgage Broker, please visit my website for help with your mortgage:
https://denariusmortgages.co.uk/
mattjb

Jamesey1981 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:00 pm Just do what I did, check my signature... ;)

I find the deus the most pleasant to use, but I think that the nox finds some things I wouldn't have found with the deus.

I dig more iron with the nox, with the XY screen on the deus and full tones I rarely get fooled, and I don't think I miss much.

The explorer is without a doubt the deepest, but it hurts my arm and it's slow and inconvenient to use.

I would say, if you want it to replace the explorer, get the nox, you're used to minelab, although they are very different machines. If you want to complement the explorer, get the deus.
Thanks Jamesey , funds definitely won’t stretch to buying both though!
Don’t think I could part with xs , its like an old friend! As you say I could still use it on the small pasture permissions alongside a deus and use the deus on the arable, that could be a good option.
Oxgirl

Matt, brilliantly detailed question!

Just one other question though, do you have any back problems or anything else that might need to be taken into consideration?

If not I’d say you’ll get lots of different views. I Rutus and Easylife also have had both machines. Well actually I Rutus might have gone ORX but it’s much of a muchness.

Easylife went Deus to the 800 but it was a while ago and the later coils and software have made a difference on depth.
I Rutus recently went 800 to ORX (not sure if he’s still switching between them).

I have never had an 800, have had a Deus for over 5 years though so can tell you my experience. I have old pasture and can get some great depth on it (a recent hammy at 8” being a good example). The 800 will probably beat it though.
I don’t think the Deus is as good on finding Roman artefacts and coins. But on a very iron infested site the Deus will still edge it because the target separation is better. On silver, especially cut coins, I think the Deus can’t be beaten.

The only other thing is comfort. The Deus is beautifully balanced so if fatigue is a factor it wins. In Lite mode it is significantly lighter too.

Others maythink differently though :lol:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
mattjb

Oxgirl wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:15 pm Matt, brilliantly detailed question!

Just one other question though, do you have any back problems or anything else that might need to be taken into consideration?

If not I’d say you’ll get lots of different views. I Rutus and Easylife also have had both machines. Well actually I Rutus might have gone ORX but it’s much of a muchness.

Easylife went Deus to the 800 but it was a while ago and the later coils and software have made a difference on depth.
I Rutus recently went 800 to ORX (not sure if he’s still switching between them).

I have never had an 800, have had a Deus for over 5 years though so can tell you my experience. I have old pasture and can get some great depth on it (a recent hammy at 8” being a good example). The 800 will probably beat it though.
I don’t think the Deus is as good on finding Roman artefacts and coins. But on a very iron infested site the Deus will still edge it because the target separation is better. On silver, especially cut coins, I think the Deus can’t be beaten.

The only other thing is comfort. The Deus is beautifully balanced so if fatigue is a factor it wins. In Lite mode it is significantly lighter too.

Others maythink differently though :lol:
Thanks Oxgirl,
No back problems here yet! I’m a 50 year old carpenter so the right arm /shoulder is pretty strong! However I used to be able to swing the xs all day years ago , I don’t think I could now!
I found a hammered penny the other day 9 inches down with xs on dry pasture which was impressive so like jamesey was suggesting if I need depth on pasture the xs is always there to use and maybe a deus for the arable. I’ve been watching Alexander’s vids and he seems to do well with the lite and i quite like the idea of relying on the ears only as that’s pretty much what I do with the explorer. He’s obviously got some great land there!
mattjb

Forgot to add only one field out of all 4 permissions is likely to be mainly Roman so medieval onwards the main target of interest
Easylife

Oxgirl wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:15 pm Easylife went Deus to the 800 but it was a while ago and the later coils and software have made a difference on depth.
Maybe so but I didn't get to try the x35 coils, for me the Deus just liked the coke and iron too much, a problem I no longer have since getting the Nox a few years ago. The Nox simultaneous multi-frequency is quite awesome at IDing very deep non-ferrous targets even next to iron so suits my mainly pasture land very well. Though I was also most impressed using single frequency (15 khz) under powerlines on cultivated when an unmissable target was a hammered at crazy depth. The Deus just wouldn't even see some of the deeper targets that the Nox does, great on beaches too! :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Pete E

mattjb wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:33 pm I got back into detecting in February this year after a gap of 15ish years.As I still had the explorer xs in the loft I bought a couple of SEF coils and have been using that. Results haven’t been bad and when it comes to the good stuff I’ve been thrashing my newbie mate and his shiny new vanquish!
However I’ve been enjoying it so much that when funds allow I’ve been thinking of upgrading to something more modern and lighter! Stubble bashing this weekend will probably mean I end up with a right arm like Conan the barbarian in a few weeks time!
I’ve watched loads of vids, read through loads of forum posts and it seems to come down to deus or nox. I like the idea of going down the deus lite route then maybe adding a remote later if needed but also the nox 800 is appealing.
From what I’ve read the nox maybe better for depth on pasture but the deus might have the edge on arable especially newly ploughed.
My 4 permissions are ,
1.-30 fields of mainly arable, will be more stubble detecting than newly ploughed.
2.- 10 fields of mostly arable same as above.
3- 5 fields unploughed pasture, been heavily detected by the farmer in the past but I still managed some nice bits with the xs in the right conditions and it’s very local.
4- 3 small fields unploughed pasture, undetected before as far as I know, the 3 hammered I’ve found have been pretty deep.
I know I’m going to get different answers from people who own the different machines but I’d still be interested to see what your opinions are!
Thanks in advance, Matt
I have heard rumours that ML are launching a new higher end machine soon. Some say it's an improved Nox, others that's it's a replacement for the CTX..I believe ML are sponsoring Detecterval (sp?) in September, which makes for a likely launch venue...

if this is true, not only would you have a new machine to consider, but it's also likely to cause an influx of other detectors onto the secondhand market at decent prices....
Easylife

mattjb wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:27 pm I’ve been watching Alexander’s vids and he seems to do well with the lite and i quite like the idea of relying on the ears only as that’s pretty much what I do with the explorer.
If I ever got another Deus I would not bother having a remote - they're expensive and uneccessary. In fact for the price of a remote you could buy a Nox 600 or used 800! :lol:
Easylife

Oxgirl wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:15 pm On a very iron infested site the Deus will still edge it because the target separation is better.
Really, the Nox has a faster processor, well there's only one way to find out! :lol:
What we need is a TDH detector head to head in different conditions. :D
mattjb

Easylife wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:04 pm Maybe so but I didn't get to try the x35 coils, for me the Deus just liked the coke and iron too much, a problem I no longer have since getting the Nox a few years ago. The Nox simultaneous multi-frequency is quite awesome at IDing very deep non-ferrous targets even next to iron so suits my mainly pasture land very well. Though I was also most impressed using single frequency (15 khz) under powerlines on cultivated when an unmissable target was a hammered at crazy depth. The Deus just wouldn't even see some of the deeper targets that the Nox does, great on beaches too! :thumbsup:
Thanks for the input Easylife, If my permissions were mainly pasture it would definitely be the nox from what I’ve read and seen on vids.Being mostly arable makes things more tricky as loads of people seem to rate the deus. I’m sure both machines would do the job well though !
mattjb

Pete E wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:08 pm I have heard rumours that ML are launching a new higher end machine soon. Some say it's an improved Nox, others that's it's a replacement for the CTX..I believe ML are sponsoring Detecterval (sp?) in September, which makes for a likely launch venue...

if this is true, not only would you have a new machine to consider, but it's also likely to cause an influx of other detectors onto the secondhand market at decent prices....
Thanks Pete, something else to take into consideration!
Saffron

To be fair before commenting I will declare my hand, I have a Nox 800.

Its a fact that the Nox does punch deeper than the Deus. Yesterday I was on a dig and got a deep signal that I was unsure about, after taking out a large sod I was still not certain but by chance at the same time a Deus user was by me and asked if I had found anything so I got him swing over the target - he could not detect it. I have had Dues users fail to detect a signal that I am unsure about previously (most have been junk but but in a couple of cases they have been valid finds).

I do the odd bit of beach detecting, and on the beach its a no contest the Nox wins by a country mile. I assume you go on holiday :) Two of my permissions have a large stream going through them that I can detect with the Nox, which a Deus user could not (without purchase of extra kit).

I know that some of the Minelab multi-freq machines did not like fresh plough (before getting the Nox I had a Makro Racer 2 and on the one event CTX users were walking of the field of fresh plough saying it was undetectable, while the Racer handled it (admittedly with reduced sensitivity)). I have heard reports that the Nox (in multi-freq mode) does not like fresh plough - but I have heard suggestions that by going to single freq it might mitigate some of this issue - (my permissions are old pasture so have no experience myself).

But from what I have seen when detecting with a Deus user, and on events, my gut feeling is that the Deus could be better on very small targets. Although saying that I have had more than my share of shallow air rifle pellets and a hammy at good depth.
However, everybody I know uses the Nox in multi-freq by default. By using single freq 20khz or 40khz I do wonder if the Nox would match the Dues on small targets, even at the cost of depth.

Both machines are very good and I am sure which ever you get you will be happy with the results.

Evan
mattjb

Saffron wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:35 pm To be fair before commenting I will declare my hand, I have a Nox 800.

Its a fact that the Nox does punch deeper than the Deus. Yesterday I was on a dig and got a deep signal that I was unsure about, after taking out a large sod I was still not certain but by chance at the same time a Deus user was by me and asked if I had found anything so I got him swing over the target - he could not detect it. I have had Dues users fail to detect a signal that I am unsure about previously (most have been junk but but in a couple of cases they have been valid finds).

I do the odd bit of beach detecting, and on the beach its a no contest the Nox wins by a country mile. I assume you go on holiday :) Two of my permissions have a large stream going through them that I can detect with the Nox, which a Deus user could not (without purchase of extra kit).

I know that some of the Minelab multi-freq machines did not like fresh plough (before getting the Nox I had a Makro Racer 2 and on the one event CTX users were walking of the field of fresh plough saying it was undetectable, while the Racer handled it (admittedly with reduced sensitivity)). I have heard reports that the Nox (in multi-freq mode) does not like fresh plough - but I have heard suggestions that by going to single freq might it mitigate some of this issue - (my permissions are old pasture so have no experience myself).

But from what I have seen when detecting with a Deus user, and on events my gut feeling is that the Deus could be better on very small targets. Although saying that I have had more than my share of shallow air rifle pellets and a hammy at good depth.
However, everybody I know uses the Nox in multi-freq by default. By using single freq 20khz or 40khz I do wonder if the Nox would match the Dues on small targets, even at the cost of depth.

Both machines are very good and I am sure which ever you get you will be happy with the results.

Evan
Thanks Evan, some interesting info there. Even though I go to the beach a lot beach detecting just doesn’t interest me so that’s something I don’t have to factor in!
Pete E

Just a quick follow up to my previous post.. I too started with a Macro Racer 2 and was generally very happy with it, expected in one respect and that was it was very sensitive to old cinders and/or coke...I considered the Deus and the ,Nox, but it was the Nox's ability to ignore coke that sold it for me..

Now I live in North Wales, and one of my main permissions is riddled with cinders and coke, but if I lived in a cleaner area, I might well have gone with a Deus....