Which one?!

Easylife

Saffron wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:35 pm I have heard reports that the Nox (in multi-freq mode) does not like fresh plough - but I have heard suggestions that by going to single freq might it mitigate some of this issue.
That would likely make sense, multi-frequency generally performs better but it would be interesting to compare both machines in the same single frequency. Bet there are a few here with both machines to try? :Thinking:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Blackadder43

Minelabs by their nature dont like airy ploughed soil, the Etrac hated it in my experience

With the 2 machines you are considering, it really is a "swings and roundabouts" type situation, but shouldnt be fully decided on either machines performance
There are other factors like cost.....age of the technology (both machines have a few years under their belts and are due to be upgraded i suspect)......weight.....and something a lot of people overlook which is the ease of programming said machines, especially on the fly
If you are technically minded and enjoy fiddling with controls then one machine is better than the other
Stock programs on both machines are ok, but no 2 fields are ever the same and tweaks can make the difference between a half filled finds pouch and a full one

Would be good if you could talk a few people into letting you have a go with both machines as there is a huge weight difference between the 2

My tuppence worth for what its worth :thumbsup:
Easylife

Pete E wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:57 pm I too started with a Macro Racer 2 and was generally very happy with it, expected in one respect and that was it was very sensitive to old cinders and/or coke...I considered the Deus and the ,Nox, but it was the Nox's ability to ignore coke that sold it for me..
I started off with a White's DFX and never knew that there was any coke on my 5 acre pasture permission until I later got a Deus, but to be quite fair the Deus did find many more targets. Then when I thought it was pretty much done I went over it with the Nox and found about 200 more targets, it just came alive yet again! I can only speak of my own personal tests and experiences.
Easylife

Blackadder43 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:10 am Would be good if you could talk a few people into letting you have a go with both machines as there is a huge weight difference between the 2.
That's absolutely the best thing to do if you can try both. I wouldn't quite call it a huge weight difference when we are only talking of just a few hundred grams!
They are both lightweight with the Nox being just 1.34kg, yet the Deus Lite in comparison does feel like a feather. Though coming from a maybe 2.5kg detector that is of no great significance. My Nox with the heavier 15" coil on a bungee feels very light.
Easylife

I was just thinking aloud. Surely it's about time that XP brought out a simultaneous multi-frequency machine to compete now that they have sold loads of the x35 coils! But wouldn't that cause a used price disaster? What's your thoughts? :Thinking:
mattjb

Plenty to consider from the replies everyone has given and as I thought there would be no clear winner between the machines.
Both the pasture permissions I have are fairly infested with iron,the larger one in particular. The best field for older stuff on that one is hard on the ears running the explorer on conductive with a open screen. There are also some fields on the bigger arable permission that are heavy on the iron so that’s also something to take into consideration.
mattjb

With the deus lite being so lightweight that could be a plus point in that my 9 year old daughter often comes with me. At the moment she is chief pin pointer operator but having an ultra light machine would mean she could take a turn as well and I could dig or I could use the explorer. The downside being I might not be able to get it back off her!
the-roman

Goldmaxx power for me on 18khz V4 :thumbsup:
Jamesey1981

The deus is very light with or without the remote to be honest, if you want ultimate weight saving the use an ORX stem, it saves a few grams, although even with my bad back that is taking it to extremes a bit!

If you have the remote you can have audio and headphones without having to rig up splitters like Alex has done, might make things a bit easier if you're detecting with your daughter and it does upen up a few more features that I wouldn't be without now.
Not cheap though and it's still a very capable machine without it.

If you want to save a few quid buy a secondhand remote with a knackered battery, they take less than 10 minutes to change.
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

I'm a Mortgage Broker, please visit my website for help with your mortgage:
https://denariusmortgages.co.uk/
mattjb

One thing you can say about the xp deus is that Gary Blackwells informative videos sell it well!
Price wise the deus lite is a couple of hundred ish cheaper than the nox 800 but full deus is more expensive than the nox.
Lots to weigh up. I’m in no rush though to splash out just yet.
Saffron

One thing has not been mentioned, and that is the users skill level. This is the real deciding factor between the two machines.

I am certain that an experienced user of the Nox who knows how to get the best out of it in a given situation would make significantly more finds than a Deus user that had no real idea.

Likewise I am certain that an experienced user of the Deus who knows how to get the best out of it in a given situation would make significantly more finds than a Nox user that had no real idea.

Maybe this shows how well matched they are, in some aspects one might have the edge while in other aspects the othe machine might have the edge. As I said in my earlier post both are good machines.

Evan
Blackadder43

mattjb wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:28 am With the deus lite being so lightweight that could be a plus point in that my 9 year old daughter often comes with me. At the moment she is chief pin pointer operator but having an ultra light machine would mean she could take a turn as well and I could dig or I could use the explorer. The downside being I might not be able to get it back off her!
With your daughter in the mix then the Deus would be my choice of machine :thumbsup:
(I am a Nox user)
mattjb

Saffron wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:34 am One thing has not been mentioned, and that is the users skill level. This is the real deciding factor between the two machines.

I am certain that an experienced user of the Nox who knows how to get the best out of it in a given situation would make significantly more finds than a Deus user that had no real idea.

Likewise I am certain that an experienced user of the Deus who knows how to get the best out of it in a given situation would make significantly more finds than a Nox user that had no real idea.

Maybe this shows how well matched they are, in some aspects one might have the edge while in other aspects the othe machine might have the edge. As I said in my earlier post both are good machines.

Evan
Thanks Evan, Apart from going occasionally with my newbie mate and his vanquish and my daughter I don’t detect with anyone else, don’t do rallies etc so I’m not really competing with anyone if you know what i mean.
From what everyone has said both machines have their plus points and I can see why people have both! At the moment im leaning towards the deus lite for its light weight especially with my daughter being able to use it and being cheaper than the nox. If I did mainly pasture I’d definitely choose the nox.
mattjb

Blackadder43 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:48 am With your daughter in the mix then the Deus would be my choice of machine :thumbsup:
(I am a Nox user)
Thanks BA , I’m leaning towards a deus lite but that could change!
Blackadder43

There is one other option
Nokta released a childs detector, which by all accounts isnt too bad as this type of machine goes
https://www.noktadetectors.com/metal-de ... ini-hoard/

Might pay to get your daughter an early present and then that leaves you open to a machine of your choice....

Just one other thing, and our member "The-roman" makes that point quite clear
Dont dismiss some of the older machines
I have been out with theroman detecting and his machine hoovers up the field with ease
Of course he is experienced with it which does help, but some of the older machines are perfectly capable of matching the top end machines on the market
the-roman wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:04 am Goldmaxx power for me on 18khz V4 :thumbsup: