Which one?!

TheFenTiger

Have you looked at the Simplex? I have been toying with getting one to get the multi frequency to see if it will go deeper than the Deus on the purse loss I have.
Dave
mattjb

TheFenTiger wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:50 pm Have you looked at the Simplex? I have been toying with getting one to get the multi frequency to see if it will go deeper than the Deus on the purse loss I have.
Haven’t really looked at the simplex much though people who have them seem to like them
Pete E

TheFenTiger wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:50 pm Have you looked at the Simplex? I have been toying with getting one to get the multi frequency to see if it will go deeper than the Deus on the purse loss I have.
It's not true multi frequency though, so I would not expect it to be deeper than the Deus? Maybe ask around to see if someone with a Nox and a 15" coil will have a swing for you?
Jamesey1981

The simplex isn't multi frequency, at least not currently, it's 12kHz only, although nokta have announced they are releasing a multi frequency machine in a simplex chassis, they haven't even named it yet though so when it will come out is anyone's guess.

For the moment if you want multi frequency at that price point then its a vanquish or a garrett apex, although neither are in the same league as a nox, I have had a play with a vanquish and its nice, would be a good one if you just want multi for depth and I like the look of the apex but haven't tried one.
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

I'm a Mortgage Broker, please visit my website for help with your mortgage:
https://denariusmortgages.co.uk/
mattjb

Jamesey1981 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:05 pm The simplex isn't multi frequency, at least not currently, it's 12kHz only, although nokta have announced they are releasing a multi frequency machine in a simplex chassis, they haven't even named it yet though so when it will come out is anyone's guess.

For the moment if you want multi frequency at that price point then its a vanquish or a garrett apex, although neither are in the same league as a nox, I have had a play with a vanquish and its nice, would be a good one if you just want multi for depth and I like the look of the apex but haven't tried one.
My mate who is new to detecting has a vanquish 540, he’s found a few nice bits but can’t seem to get the hammered and small buckles at depth that I’ve picked up with the old xs. The last hammered I found at 9” I reburied and he was picking it up albeit faintly.I think he’s moving too quickly to cover more ground and not completely recognising what’s good to dig and what’s not.I guess that will come in time with more practice. Even iffy signals with the xs if they are low tones I know to dig them in conductive from experience.
So far though we’ve mostly been on tricky iron infested pasture where the good stuff is small and deep so probably not the best training ground for him! Hopefully when we get onto the arable he’ll find it easier.
Blackadder43

There has been a mantra for minelab machines "slow and low", so you could be correct with him going to fast

I have just browsed the vanquish specs and noticed a few things your friend needs to avoid as these machines are set for USA digging....what i mean is the stock programs are "often" weighted with too much discrimination for UK fields and especially our finds

USA folk hate ring pulls, so their stock programs often discriminate those out as standard
In the UK a Hammered coin will give the same signal and come in the same conductivity range as a ring pull, so for instance the "relic" mode will more than likely be set up to discrim ring pulls/hammered coins

I am happy to be corrected by someone who uses the Vanquish, but i suspect for UK hunting your friend needs to set up a "all metal" mode setting, or make his own custom setting based on all metal mode with a few tweaks
I would not add any discrimination to be honest and i would dig all signals that arent the "iron grunt"
As much sensitivity as the field allows without the machine chirping like a canary

A factory reset may be in order and set him on the all metal/custom mode route
mattjb

Blackadder43 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:31 pm There has been a mantra for minelab machines "slow and low", so you could be correct with him going to fast

I have just browsed the vanquish specs and noticed a few things your friend needs to avoid as these machines are set for USA digging....what i mean is the stock programs are "often" weighted with too much discrimination for UK fields and especially our finds

USA folk hate ring pulls, so their stock programs often discriminate those out as standard
In the UK a Hammered coin will give the same signal and come in the same conductivity range as a ring pull, so for instance the "relic" mode will more than likely be set up to discrim ring pulls/hammered coins

I am happy to be corrected by someone who uses the Vanquish, but i suspect for UK hunting your friend needs to set up a "all metal" mode setting, or make his own custom setting based on all metal mode with a few tweaks
I would not add any discrimination to be honest and i would dig all signals that arent the "iron grunt"
As much sensitivity as the field allows without the machine chirping like a canary

A factory reset may be in order and set him on the all metal/custom mode route
Thanks for that, from what I’ve read only the jewellery mode is suitable if I remember correctly as the others discriminate out foil type signals and probably hammered as well. As you’ve said I’ve said the same about using it in all metal and learning the tones. He needs to put the time in on some research on how to get the best out of it and put it in practice but he doesn’t seem to take it on board but still moans that I’ve had 3 hammered to his none when we’ve been out!
Blackadder43

Maybe simplify it for him and tell him there is actually only 1 tone he needs to learn, and that is the 1 iron grunt low tone, the other 4 tones he digs :clapping:
Some Romans will come in on the tone just above the iron grunt, so its best practice depending on sites to dig all tones bar the iron one
mattjb

Blackadder43 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:47 pm Maybe simplify it for him and tell him there is actually only 1 tone he needs to learn, and that is the 1 iron grunt low tone, the other 4 tones he digs :clapping:
Some Romans will come in on the tone just above the iron grunt, so its best practice depending on sites to dig all tones bar the iron one
I’m not sure how the tones are with the vanquish but there are plenty of vids on YouTube explaining how to use one. It’s probably a question of spending more time with the machine, I remember when I first bought the xs after having a treasure ace that made just one bleep tone, I thought what the hell have I done spending all this money on something that makes so many different noises that I don’t understand!
Blackadder43

people tend to get too hung up on the tones on minelabs, thats the American way
They have such a small pool of finds that they can actually tell what the find is by its number and tone
In the UK thats impossible, almost

On a 5 tone machine it really is dig everything that isnt the iron grunt/low tone
The rest he will find small romans, buckles, buckle fragments, cut and half hammered and of course foil paper, pie dishes, can slaw and ring pulls
Nature of the beast
But trying to learn which items trigger which tone above the iron grunt would be a monumentous task to take on and become very stressfull

With experience you can weight some of the tones against a number and relatively safely ignore it, although i dont as it bugs me that it might have been a good find :ugeek:
Jamesey1981

You can never be 100% sure of anything until you dig it, on my deus I can reliably identify foil, but I still dig it, because sometimes it's a cut quarter! :)
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

I'm a Mortgage Broker, please visit my website for help with your mortgage:
https://denariusmortgages.co.uk/
Easylife

I agree that you generally just need a dig or don't dig signal whether 1 or 50 tones as most targets are unmissable. But going too fast can miss the deeper targets especially when next to iron. On my pasture I occasionally get some right deep iffy targets which only experience can best interrpret, usually are deep non-ferrous.
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Pete E

Interesting posts about the tones...while I think it's fun to predict a target from the numbers/tones, I would never rely on them....if you have a deepish target, it's interesting to note how the tones/numbers can change as you dig....Also the same target can give you different results depending on the direction you swing over it...
mattjb

After doing more reading of forums and watching YouTube vids I’m now leaning towards the nox! I think it might edge it as a better all rounder.Quite a few people have said the nox has found a lot the deus has missed particularly on pasture at depth. Some unexpected monies heading my way soon also means I could afford either soon so I’m not as tied to a budget.
Still a difficult choice though!
Blackadder43

Its good to see you are doing your research on this :thumbsup:

Not sure if you saw my post which is the last post on page 2 of this thread , but there is a good Childrens machine out made by Nokta
Might be something to consider for your daughter sometime :thumbsup: