Brownie points earned

Reiver

Having been involved over the last couple of years with a community archeology project, this dig was at a Roman fort in Northumberland which of course is scheduled.
But areas outside of the fort had only had cursory excavations which revealed little.
This year we are looking at areas of interest shown up by geophysical surveys and lidar.
The archaeological practice running the excavation are enlightened and see metal detecting as a positive tool not a dark art.

Today my invitation to detect the trenches and spoil heaps came good with the find shown below , which had been missed in the trench and was rescued from the spoil heap by detector. Let's just say they were more than pleased with this find, a silver Denarius of Hadrian in pretty good nick.
rsz_20210722_141400.jpg
rsz_120210722_141312.jpg
Blackadder43

Well done on that, and great to see good relationships forming between the 2 communities, great work :thumbsup:

And what a cracking find :clapping:
Pete E

Lovely find and I hope they give credit to you as a metal detectorist for rescuing it....
Oxgirl

That’s not one of those digs where they charge you a fortune to be part of it I hope?

It is good to hear that there has been a good attitude to detectorists. I think there is a place for us both so it’s heartening to get first hand feedback on an enjoyable collaboration. We do have a lot we can learn on digs and the scientific approach would be useful for us all to know a bit more about (not sure my patience could use it much though :lol: ).

Great find too :Party:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Metalurgy

Lovely coin,and congratulations on working with some enlightened archaeologists!
I’ve had some success with my local Archie’s,however,I’m yet to convince them that I should detect before they strip the spoil that they’re not interested in.
I found a nice Allectus bronze last year and quite a lot of other stuff but they’re more interested in the Iron Age finds that I found elsewhere.
Patience,persistence and perseverance are also needed in other situations.
Reiver

Oxgirl wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:56 pm That’s not one of those digs where they charge you a fortune to be part of it I hope?

It is good to hear that there has been a good attitude to detectorists. I think there is a place for us both so it’s heartening to get first hand feedback on an enjoyable collaboration. We do have a lot we can learn on digs and the scientific approach would be useful for us all to know a bit more about (not sure my patience could use it much though :lol: ).

Great find too :Party:
No, it's not a pay to dig site, it's part of an on going series of digs by volunteers involved from research and surveys stage right through to dig stage. Really well organized and run great fun too.
Reiver.
Oxgirl

Reiver wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:39 pm No, it's not a pay to dig site, it's part of an on going series of digs by volunteers involved from research and surveys stage right through to dig stage. Really well organized and run great fun too.
Reiver.
That sounds much better! The lot who charge are not very nice to detectorists so would have been surprised if it was them ;)
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Easylife

Well done! :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Dave The Slave

Very good coin, plenty of detail.
You need to find out the initial depth of soil they remove and offer to detect a marked area. Any finds you made could then show if occupation carried on to a certain period. As an Amateur Volunteer venture you may just be in with more of a chance. Also you may get finds attributed to the Roman era they are interested in.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.