Abandoned Communities

Saffron

I found this site about Abandoned Communities and thought it might be of interests to some detectorists.

http://www.abandonedcommunities.co.uk/index.html

Its far from a complete but has information on the locations listed. As detectorists we normally think of deserted villages being medieval, but it was noticable how many of these were only abandoned in the last century.

The "Links" page is well worth a look as it might contain a link to your area.

Evan
alloverover

Interesting site Evan, Stanford PTA was a part of my life for a fair few years, from the age of about 13 till well, now really, I dont go on it much anymore but am around it all the time, the landscape still fills me with awe and wonder.
The villages of West Tofts, Sturston, Langford, Stanford, Buckenham Tofts and Tottington were requisitioned in I think 1940 for military training, the sandy fields resembling those of Northern France. The residents were promised they would return to their homes as soon as the war was over but it never happened, when I was using the training area most of the buildings apart from some in Tottington and a few in Stanford had been destroyed, there were a lot of rebuilds and partial rebuilds on the area, still a lot of farmhouses with partially original walls, the churches are all still there as well as one of two memories of larger halls, a lot of new Afghan buildings replace the Northern Irish ones I knew. The original inhabitants and theire relatives are allowed back to the area on certain days of the year but I beleive these are few and far between.
An absolute haven for nature despite what goes on there, likewise Salisbury Plain had Imber village, last time I was there I was guarding the Yanks with cruise missiles for a months excercise, blimey, that was the time of the Peace Women, I am starting to feel my age mate :Thinking:
alloverover

alloverover wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:37 pm Interesting site Evan, Stanford PTA was a part of my life for a fair few years, from the age of about 13 till well, now really, I dont go on it much anymore but am around it all the time, the landscape still fills me with awe and wonder.
The villages of West Tofts, Sturston, Langford, Stanford, Buckenham Tofts and Tottington were requisitioned in I think 1940 for military training, the sandy fields resembling those of Northern France. The residents were promised they would return to their homes as soon as the war was over but it never happened, when I was using the training area most of the buildings apart from some in Tottington and a few in Stanford had been destroyed, there were a lot of rebuilds and partial rebuilds on the area, still a lot of farmhouses with partially original walls, the churches are all still there as well as one of two memories of larger halls, a lot of new Afghan buildings replace the Northern Irish ones I knew. The original inhabitants and theire relatives are allowed back to the area on certain days of the year but I beleive these are few and far between.
An absolute haven for nature despite what goes on there, likewise Salisbury Plain had Imber village, last time I was there I was guarding the Yanks with cruise missiles for a months excercise, blimey, that was the time of the Peace Women, I am starting to feel my age mate :Thinking:
https://www.invisibleworks.co.uk/throug ... of-stanta/ This is interesting :thumbsup:

Obviously, and I cant beleive I forgot to metion it, Dads Army, the battle area( Frog Hill) is where the end sequence as well as a lot of others were filmed, god, how I long for those days :problem: :problem: :problem:
Jamesey1981

One of the beaches I detect has an abandoned village, at low tide you can see the stone outlines from the buildings and at spring low you can see the well.

I find places like that kind of eerie, a local reservoir in a dry summer has a church spire showing above the water, the village was drowned when they built the dam.
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

I'm a Mortgage Broker, please visit my website for help with your mortgage:
https://denariusmortgages.co.uk/