Enjoyable afternoon

Oxgirl

Very, very cool finds. The brooch is a belter but the zoomorphic piece would be my favourite. Anything saxon/ viking would make me positively jump for joy. Looks like a habitation site. Surprised you haven’t found coins though.
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
mattjb

Oxgirl wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:49 pm Very, very cool finds. The brooch is a belter but the zoomorphic piece would be my favourite. Anything saxon/ viking would make me positively jump for joy. Looks like a habitation site. Surprised you haven’t found coins though.
Thanks Oxgirl ,I’m not completely convinced that piece is zoomorphic,Saxon or Viking to be honest ! I don’t know what it is but hopefully someone might be able ID it.
I don’t think it is a habitation site, there were very few bits of pottery about but it’s only a couple of fields away from a small hamlet that has been in existence for a long time. I’d guess the field has been farmed for centuries,it is a big field and finds were very spread out. Hopefully be back for another go in the afternoon tomorrow.
figgis

That Polden Hill is a great find and there is no jealousy going on here at all :D :thumbsup:

I have to say the second item is yelling zoomorphic and early medieval/medieval to me too. First thought was stirrup mount, but a lot depends on where any breaks are. Matt, do you think the areas circled below exhibit signs of a break? I know it can be difficult to tell though.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (20.52 KiB) Viewed 313 times
mattjb

figgis wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:50 am That Polden Hill is a great find and there is no jealousy going on here at all :D :thumbsup:

I have to say the second item is yelling zoomorphic and early medieval/medieval to me too. First thought was stirrup mount, but a lot depends on where any breaks are. Matt, do you think the areas circled below exhibit signs of a break? I know it can be difficult to tell though.
It’s smooth all the way round but corrosion and rolling about on a ploughed stoney field could have smoothed any broken edges so I can’t really tell. I did wonder if it had broken in the places you suggest.
figgis

I was thinking along the lines of an openwork variation of this (I did find a slightly better example but lost it :oops: )
mattjb

figgis wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:19 am I was thinking along the lines of an openwork variation of this (I did find a slightly better example but lost it :oops: )
Yeah, could well be a piece from the outside edge of something similar to that. Thanks for looking, I’ll do a bit of research when I’ve got time
Dave The Slave

That`s a great detecting session.
Love the brooch and good to see a complete shoe buckle.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
mattjb

figgis wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:50 am That Polden Hill is a great find and there is no jealousy going on here at all :D :thumbsup:

Just found this pic of a bronze dragon headed Viking strapend. The design isn’t the same but it’s similar and the holes are in a similar place to the breaks on my piece
Attachments
6F842240-3D1C-4CB4-A27D-C10F6648E9C5.jpeg
mattjb

Better pic of mine taken outside
Attachments
BC340218-5E89-414B-B4CB-086DE837FDE1.jpeg
figgis

Looks like you might be onto something there. Nice going, Sherlock! :lol: :thumbsup:
mattjb

Had another go on the same field this afternoon,was harder going with another pot leg ,a bag seal, watch winder,spectacle buckle and one of those little mounts in the shape of an acorn. I think investing in a deus or nox will make a big difference on those fields , the explorer needs to go low and slow and low is a non starter on stubble. The ears are constantly ringing from either iron or mineralisation everywhere on all the fields there so a machine that can cope with that situation will help winkle out the hammered hopefully, they’ve got to be there somewhere!