Mini test bed!

Easylife

Now that I have a garden that isn't hard landscaped like my last I thought I might do a very simple test bed. I was just really thinking of burying 2 or 3 similar hammereds at between say 7 and 10" deep? Using the Nox in multi-frequency I'd mainly like to see what actual difference there is between same targets in very dry ground compared to wet? I expect to see a more noticeable difference in single frequency though. It's good soil with the usual small iron.
Apart from that the test target depths should be about ideal for something else I want to experiment with which could be a game changer or not! :D
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Bigtim1973

That is a very good idea. I have one as well. I have a total of about 16 targets
8 are random trash targets like a steel bottle cap and pull tabs and such

Two are items next to iron.

I use mine all of the time to check settings and such.

The target I test the most is a dime buried at 7 inches and a nickel at 11 inches.

Also I have a penny with a large square nail beside it for a separation and recovery test.

You will have fun doing it and you will learn alot about your machine and other units you try out as well.

I am in the US.

When all of the air gets out and all of the soil settles it will make a difference too.
My little garden is about 3 years old now.

Good luck!!!
I use the XP ORX and XP Deus Metal Detectors.
Easylife

Bigtim1973 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:08 am When all of the air gets out and all of the soil settles it will make a difference too.
I mainly search old pasture where the ground is very settled and most targets are 8" or so deep. But so as to least disturb the test bed ground (my back lawn) I could maybe hammer in a pipe to the desired depth, place a hammered on the end, and re-insert pipe pushing out the plug? :Thinking:
Easylife

Gee, that could be another test in itself compared to digging a bigger hole? No, only joking, but let's just not go there! But having said that, have you ever noticed on settled ground like old pasture that if you scan the target after cutting a plug but not lifting it, then the signal has greatly changed in many ways? I notice that, especially on iffy ones, if I decide to re-check whilst cutting the plug! So best not to do that! :lol:
Bigtim1973

Easylife wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:47 am I mainly search old pasture where the ground is very settled and most targets are 8" or so deep. But so as to least disturb the test bed ground (my back lawn) I could maybe hammer in a pipe to the desired depth, place a hammered on the end, and re-insert pipe pushing out the plug? :Thinking:
I just dig a good old fashion hole, dropped the coin and added a little water and replaced the plug.

I would not over think it. And yes water it after you bury your target and tamp it down well.

I use golf tees to mark my stuff.
figgis

A test bed is no doubt a great idea but one which I've yet to get around to doing. I detect arable 95% of the time and the soil conditions are constantly changing so a settled test bed wouldn't be of much use other than the odd time I detect pasture. Having said that, it's well worth doing with ferrous/non-ferrous in close proximity so as to get yer lugholes trained in :thumbsup:
Saffron

Bigtim1973 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:14 am
<cut>

I just dig a good old fashion hole, dropped the coin and added a little water and replaced the plug.

I would not over think it. And yes water it after you bury your target and tamp it down well.

I use golf tees to mark my stuff.
You drop the coin in and add a little water. Come on that is being plain silly .... a coin will never germinate and produce other coins. :rollinglaughing: :rollinglaughing:

It wouldn't would it? :Thinking: :Thinking:

Sorry folks been watching a gardening program earlier. I will get my coat!!

Evan
Bigtim1973

Saffron wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:06 am You drop the coin in and add a little water. Come on that is being plain silly .... a coin will never germinate and produce other coins. :rollinglaughing: :rollinglaughing:

It wouldn't would it? :Thinking: :Thinking:

Sorry folks been watching a gardening program earlier. I will get my coat!!

Evan

It ensures that the air is out of the matrix.

No....it will grow a money tree!! Maybe a penny bush too!!!