My first crotal bell

coal digger

How goes it folks. So started the detecting season off tonight and found my first crotal bell, I was only reading saffrons post and thinking I wonder if I would ever find one and I did. Only a small thing but complete but sadly no ringer. I'm sure it's William Gwynn so some age to it.
Divide and Conquer
coal digger

Tried adding pics but keeps chucking me out😫
Divide and Conquer
coal digger

Maybe this time.
Attachments
IMG_5961.JPG
Divide and Conquer
Easylife

Ding dong! That's a nice one CD, well done. :thumbsup:
Where there's one there are usually more!
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
coal digger

Easylife wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:53 pm Ding dong! That's a nice one CD, well done. :thumbsup:
Where there's one there are usually more!
Cheers EL. Well the field got ploughed last year for the first time in 11 years and came alive so hopefully some Roman bronzes in there😅
Divide and Conquer
Easylife

Crotal bells for me are like busses, I don't find any for ages then a few turn up at the same time. I once found two in the same hole though it was in a corner of a field so likely dropped by a shepherd I guess?
Saffron

coal digger wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:28 pm How goes it folks. So started the detecting season off tonight and found my first crotal bell, I was only reading saffrons post and thinking I wonder if I would ever find one and I did. Only a small thing but complete but sadly no ringer. I'm sure it's William Gwynn so some age to it.
Nice one, well found. My post must have been well timed as you knew exactly where to look for the guides :)

The photo does not show the bottom of the bell, does it have the "WG" makers mark?, if so it would be William Gwynn (1770-1813) as you said. But a similar design was used by a lot of makers if it does not have the makers mark.

If its complete it should have the potential to be a ringer. The photo shows rust on the inside: keep firing WD40 into the bell, then poking inside it to see if you can free the pea, if you keep repeating this process for long enough there is a good chance that eventually you will free the pea and make it into a ringer. This was what I did to get my only ringer as originally the pea was rusted to the inside of the bell (but be warned it might not be as tuneful as when it was made due to remaining rust).

Evan
Easylife

Looks like it could ring, soak it and poke it to remove all of the internal soil. The iron pellet is either intact or just dust!
I use an alternative way to free the pellet when rusted to the inside, it can be felt by inserting a thin screwdriver once the soil is removed. A bit of brute force and a twist is usually all that is needed. A real good shake cleans off the surplus rust and improves the ring. Each to their own methods. :D
figgis

Glad you finally managed to bag one, CD :thumbsup:

I have to confess to falling into the brute force camp when it comes to freeing the pea - I whack it with a nail punch :oops:
mattjb

I found part of one once but that’s it! They just don’t seem to be around in my area
Dave The Slave

Well done on your first Crotal, CD.
Something you will always remember
If it rings you will have your own Ding a Ling. :lol:
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Oxgirl

You’ve been after one for ages do very pleased that’s got a tick next to it on your wish list! Plus it’s got decoration too which is always nice to see!

Get that pea freed, as suggested. It’ll be good to get it ringing again :D
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking