What detector do you use and why??

User avatar
Bigtim1973
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:56 am
Has thanked: 119 times
Been thanked: 81 times

It is a simple question really. What led you to the unit you now swing??


Is it the ID screen, the features, the weight and portability??

I really enjoy the XP deus and ORX. I cannot say it is because of the features or settings one can adjust on them but because of how light weight they are.


From previous experience everything else I ever used was a boat anchor compared to these now.

You can swing one just about all day without any fatigue.

I guess if I wasn't swinging an XP I would use an Equinox.


The screen on that is nice and large. The way it is designed with the straight rod it is very balanced too.


Anyway, it is just an open discussion. This isn't to offend anyone of what machine is better or anything like that.

Just why you wish to use your current detector

I have owned a ton of units. They all had their perks and performance independent from one another.

To me the modern units are very hard to beat.
I use the XP ORX and XP Deus Metal Detectors.
User avatar
shaggybfc
Posts: 2661
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:46 pm
Location: Warwick
Has thanked: 2163 times
Been thanked: 2504 times

XP Deus with X35 or HF coils, because if Carlsberg made metal detectors, they'd probably make XP Deus' ;)
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
User avatar
Bigtim1973
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:56 am
Has thanked: 119 times
Been thanked: 81 times

shaggybfc wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:46 pm XP Deus with X35 or HF coils, because if Carlsberg made metal detectors, they'd make XP Deus' ;)

What is Carlsberg??
I use the XP ORX and XP Deus Metal Detectors.
User avatar
shaggybfc
Posts: 2661
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:46 pm
Location: Warwick
Has thanked: 2163 times
Been thanked: 2504 times

Bigtim1973 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:01 pm
What is Carlsberg??
Forgot you're from the colonies :D
Video explains what Carlsberg is and why XP Deus :thumbsup:
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
User avatar
Bigtim1973
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:56 am
Has thanked: 119 times
Been thanked: 81 times

Lol!! Ok I see now!!
I use the XP ORX and XP Deus Metal Detectors.
User avatar
figgis
Posts: 7099
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:21 pm
Location: Norfolk (just)
Has thanked: 4132 times
Been thanked: 4813 times

For me it was a progression: xmas present of a cheap Chinese generic thing, then a Garrett 400i then a Deus. This was all within the first four months and, knowing I was hooked on detecting, the Deus was a deal too good to refuse. I got on with the Deus from day one and frankly wouldn't swap it for anything else. It works for me. Having said that, would I have gone for a multi-frequency machine instead, had they been available? Dunno, because they weren't, but I can say that I have no intention of going over to one and the XP is with me for the rest of me days.

Light, lightning fast and with so much scope for adjustment if required, I have no need for anything else :thumbsup:
mattjb
Posts: 1497
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:27 pm
Has thanked: 582 times
Been thanked: 1537 times

Still using a 20 year old explorer xs at the moment! I’d had a non detecting gap of about 15 years but I’d always thought I’d get back to it one day so kept the explorer up in the loft ready for that time.
5 months on and I’m loving it so time for an upgrade in the next couple of weeks. After much research ,a thread on here and a pm chat with Jamesey, I think I’ve decided on a deus , probably the lite version to start with.
I like thought of learning it ears only.
The weight difference is going to be a shock for sure!
I won’t part with the explorer though , I think it will still have a use on the two small pasture permissions I have,will be handy as a backup and if my daughter wants to use the deus I can always use the explorer.
User avatar
Bigtim1973
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:56 am
Has thanked: 119 times
Been thanked: 81 times

figgis wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:35 pm For me it was a progression: xmas present of a cheap Chinese generic thing, then a Garrett 400i then a Deus. This was all within the first four months and, knowing I was hooked on detecting, the Deus was a deal too good to refuse. I got on with the Deus from day one and frankly wouldn't swap it for anything else. It works for me. Having said that, would I have gone for a multi-frequency machine instead, had they been available? Dunno, because they weren't, but I can say that I have no intention of going over to one and the XP is with me for the rest of me days.

Light, lightning fast and with so much scope for adjustment if required, I have no need for anything else :thumbsup:

Yes they for sure are fast and very light. Garrett was an all time favorite for a long time. I have owned a few. Had a cdc3 coin commander. It had dual discrimination trigger with dual tones. It was a good unit.

Found my first silver coin with Garrett as well.


But like you said. I really enjoy the XP stuff. It is a no fatigue machine with plenty of settings and choices for ground conditions too. Very fun to use
I use the XP ORX and XP Deus Metal Detectors.
User avatar
Bigtim1973
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:56 am
Has thanked: 119 times
Been thanked: 81 times

mattjb wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:01 pm Still using a 20 year old explorer xs at the moment! I’d had a non detecting gap of about 15 years but I’d always thought I’d get back to it one day so kept the explorer up in the loft ready for that time.
5 months on and I’m loving it so time for an upgrade in the next couple of weeks. After much research ,a thread on here and a pm chat with Jamesey, I think I’ve decided on a deus , probably the lite version to start with.
I like thought of learning it ears only.
The weight difference is going to be a shock for sure!
I won’t part with the explorer though , I think it will still have a use on the two small pasture permissions I have,will be handy as a backup and if my daughter wants to use the deus I can always use the explorer.

Yes the explorer will always have a place. Some of the best target ID there ever was for a unit with the full band spectrum frequency.

The Deus Lite is kind of like the black sheep of the XP series. I do not know why it isn't as popular.

I have used a lite set up and find it very fun to detect with. You will be speeding around like you never have before with that thing and have plenty of energy left at the end of the day.

I was out in the woods one day. I took a look at my watch and was shocked I had been detecting over 2 hours.

I could not even tell because I was not fatigued at all.


I am surprised the old Tesoro and Lazer fans have not come into the XP Deus Lite unit. It is really a dream set up for those guys who relic hunt only.


Alexander here in the forum does very well with his and proves it on his YouTube channel.

There are plenty enough settings in the lite set up to keep you satisfied once you get used to it.

It is funny you mention the lite set up as I just bought a lite set up today with the X35 coil and ws5 back phones for a very good deal second hand.

.I am trying to slowly switch over to full tones with the Deus. The reason I have not really gotten along with that option is because it just isn't as loud as the other tone options.


But will keep giving it a few more chances.

Your going to love it.

You can add a remote or other item later. Even an ORX remote too would be a consideration if you find you wish to have a target screen later.
I use the XP ORX and XP Deus Metal Detectors.
User avatar
Bigtim1973
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:56 am
Has thanked: 119 times
Been thanked: 81 times

Oh and just rest assure, there are a lot of guys on the forums who may think this is a "mine is better than yours thread" in which it is not.

Just a fun open discussion. We all have favorite foods and drive different cars.

And I enjoy the chat to see how one has progressed in the hobby. which is very entertaining to me.



HH, Tim
I use the XP ORX and XP Deus Metal Detectors.
mattjb
Posts: 1497
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:27 pm
Has thanked: 582 times
Been thanked: 1537 times

Bigtim1973 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:54 pm
Yes the explorer will always have a place. Some of the best target ID there ever was for a unit with the full band spectrum frequency.

The Deus Lite is kind of like the black sheep of the XP series. I do not know why it isn't as popular.

I have used a lite set up and find it very fun to detect with. You will be speeding around like you never have before with that thing and have plenty of energy left at the end of the day.

I was out in the woods one day. I took a look at my watch and was shocked I had been detecting over 2 hours.

I could not even tell because I was not fatigued at all.


I am surprised the old Tesoro and Lazer fans have not come into the XP Deus Lite unit. It is really a dream set up for those guys who relic hunt only.


Alexander here in the forum does very well with his and proves it on his YouTube channel.

There are plenty enough settings in the lite set up to keep you satisfied once you get used to it.

It is funny you mention the lite set up as I just bought a lite set up today with the X35 coil and ws5 back phones for a very good deal second hand.

.I am trying to slowly switch over to full tones with the Deus. The reason I have not really gotten along with that option is because it just isn't as loud as the other tone options.


But will keep giving it a few more chances.

Your going to love it.

You can add a remote or other item later. Even an ORX remote too would be a consideration if you find you wish to have a target screen later.
Thanks Tim,
I’ve watched a lot of Alexander’s vids, as you say he does well with the lite version,really seems to have mastered it.
I think the programs on the lite will be more than enough for me,from what I’ve seen on various vids.Fast and Hot should be good ones to kick off with according to Gary’s xp vids on the lite.
As you say I can always at a remote later if needed.
The explorer has done me proud but is tiring to use after several hours of swinging it and I’m eager to see what difference more modern technology will make!
User avatar
Bigtim1973
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:56 am
Has thanked: 119 times
Been thanked: 81 times

mattjb wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:10 pm Thanks Tim,
I’ve watched a lot of Alexander’s vids, as you say he does well with the lite version,really seems to have mastered it.
I think the programs on the lite will be more than enough for me,from what I’ve seen on various vids.Fast and Hot should be good ones to kick off with according to Gary’s xp vids on the lite.
As you say I can always at a remote later if needed.
The explorer has done me proud but is tiring to use after several hours of swinging it and I’m eager to see what difference more modern technology will make!

Not saying one is better than the other but, your finds will increase due to the XP machine has a much faster recovery rate.

So more swing time covering way more ground faster equals more finds.

Now they may not always be what you want to dig up but you find rate will increase just in that factor alone.

The deus lite depending on which coil configuration you get also has some factors to consider.

Such as TX boost.


On the HF coils you cannot adjust the TX boost. They are fixed. But I have dug plenty deep items with my HF coil set up.


The X35 has a few more perks even in a lite configuration because of the TX boost option.

So keep that in mind when you make your purchase.


I find the HF coils run better and quieter around power lines and urban settings where a lot of EMF interfere is.

I believe it is due to the battery being located in the stem.

The X35 coil has the battery in the coil itself.


I also think the X35 coil has a very good spectrum of frequencies to choose from that covers a good range for overall detecting more so than the HF because you can go down to 4khz and up to 25khz.

Where as the hf round can go from 14 khz to 54khz.

I run a lot in 31khz.

But the HF coil does go plenty deep in mild ground as well.


So keep that in mind when you do decide on your lite set up which coil too.
I use the XP ORX and XP Deus Metal Detectors.
mattjb
Posts: 1497
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:27 pm
Has thanked: 582 times
Been thanked: 1537 times

Out of interest Tim, what governs which frequency you select to run the deus in ? Is it ground conditions,type /size of target you are looking for or both?
User avatar
Bigtim1973
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:56 am
Has thanked: 119 times
Been thanked: 81 times

mattjb wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:15 pm Out of interest Tim, what governs which frequency you select to run the deus in ? Is it ground conditions,type /size of target you are looking for or both?

Well I start out in the freq the machine defaults to. Such as deus fast in the hf coil it will default to 14khz.


So I try that a while and if I get in some trash that I think I need to slow down a bit with I will switch up to 31khz and slow down to pick out the small bits better.


Or I will go over an area with 14khz one direction and come back in a different direction running a higher frequency.

It is a crap shoot of sorts. But it does seem to work for me.


On scratchy deeper targets that have an iffy response in the fast program, I will switch over to a deep program with a higher frequency. My thoughts are this.

If a higher frequency is better for mid conductors, would it not also be better for say, a deep coin on it's edge, in which the signal from the coil has only a small area to respond with?

So if higher a frequency is better with a mid conductor target then in retrospect it would also lift a higher conductive target with a small area exposed at depth.


These are my own thoughts and not exactly science but, it works for me.


Hope my thoughts makes some sense......at least a little!!!!


I did the same when the Minelab Xterra came out. When I ordered the larger 18khz and also the 6 inch 18khz coils, I noticed they really sniffed out the coins in the same area I swing the 7khz coil.

I did find silver and other old coins with the 7khz coil. But with the 18khz coil it seemed to respond better to our US silver dimes that were deeper.


That is where I began to experience the way different khz come in handy.


I have a friend who used a Teknetics t2 and the fisher F75. He was hooked on those units. He swore they were the best he ever used.


He had a small little lot at a church. It was about 40 foot by 10 foot.


He found many coins there through the years. He swore there wasn't anything left as his machines would not even respond or go off on the area.

I let him borrow my ORX and told him this,

There will be nothing left there and the ORX will not sound off or you will find several coins left in the ground your other machines could not touch.


He found 11 coins that evening. Several were silver and all were old and all were 9 inches plus deep. Nothing he owned would touch them. Even his Makro Noktas he tried.

He now swings an XP ORX.
I use the XP ORX and XP Deus Metal Detectors.
User avatar
Saffron
Posts: 1827
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:31 pm
Has thanked: 2506 times
Been thanked: 2389 times

After a lot of reading / looking at reviews I started with the Garrett Ace 250. As it had consitently good reviews for a "starter" machine and the low price meant if I decided metal detecting was not for me I would not have lost too much money. For the money it was a great machine and I found a lot with it. However, technology has moved on so not sure if starting now I would still go for it.

I then had a Makro (now under the Nokta badge) Racer 2. A very good "mid range" machine at the time and a logical progression from the Ace250 due to its extra options without being over complex and again had lots of good reviews and looked good value. Again lots of good finds and very impressed with the build quality and what you got for the money (a feature of all Nokta / Makro equipment). For anybody not wanting to go into the Dues / Nox price range do have a good look at the Nokta range, they are very well made reliable machines and you get a lot for your money.

I then got a secondhand CTX3030. I know its a fantastic machine .. BUT I found it heavy and struggled to get on with it the few times I used it.
In fairness it was not given a real chance as very soon after getting it I was on an organised dig using the Racer 2 and it was TORRENTIAL rain and although the Racer worked well all day when I went to use it a few days after on the Thursday it was dead (after being given time to dry out it was fine and is still used as my back up machine) and that weekend I was on a Friday - Sunday rally !!. So options were drop back to the Ace250 (I wanted a better machine for the event) or use the CTX (not with that weight and not knowing it) or get a new higher specification machine (so I took this option)
If I had given the CTX the time needed to learn it I am sure that in some circumstances I would still use it, even with now having the Nox

After a quick look around I quickly got down to the choice of the Dues or Nox. Both would have done me well. But after more detailed reading / looking at reviews I went for the Nox. One of the mains reason for this was that it is fully waterproof and having just drowned the Racer 2 this was a higher priority than it normally would have been. I also thought it looked easier to use "straight out of the box" - a big factor as I was buying it the one day and needed for a long weekend rally starting the next day!. I also liked the way it could be switched from multi-freq to single freq if needed and the options that gave. I also do a bit of beach detecting and the Nox is very good on the beach.

Evan
Post Reply