What detector do you use and why??

Saffron

Easylife wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:59 am The larger coil maybe goes about 2" deeper than stock but mainly has better ground coverage. They are noticeably heavier so won't suit too many, but is great with a bungee. :thumbsup:
In addition to the standard coil on the Nox I also have both the 6" and 15" coils. All 3 have their place in the armoury. I have a couple of areas with a lot of trash but potentially good finds so the 6" is weapon of choice there. While depending on conditions in other circumstances it will be either the standard or 15" coil.

As Easylife said it punches deeper (but I would not try to quantify how much). But what slightly surprised me is that on my main permission I normally run the standard coil at sensitivity of 20-22 (out of 25), as any higher it's much to sparky and falses, but with the 15" coil I often run at the max 25 - so extra depth provided by coil combined with the higher sensitivity certainly gives noticably more depth.
The extra weight of the coil is barely noticable. However, it changes the balance of the machine making it feel heavier. The solution to this is to shorten the stem by one hole which corrects the balance (making it impossible to tell the difference between this setup and the standard coil and stem one hole longer) - certainly NO need for a bungee.

Evan
Bigtim1973

Saffron wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:11 pm In addition to the standard coil on the Nox I also have both the 6" and 15" coils. All 3 have their place in the armoury. I have a couple of areas with a lot of trash but potentially good finds so the 6" is weapon of choice there. While depending on conditions in other circumstances it will be either the standard or 15" coil.

As Easylife said it punches deeper (but I would not try to quantify how much). But what slightly surprised me is that on my main permission I normally run the standard coil at sensitivity of 20-22 (out of 25), as any higher it's much to sparky and falses, but with the 15" coil I often run at the max 25 - so extra depth provided by coil combined with the higher sensitivity certainly gives noticably more depth.
The extra weight of the coil is barely noticable. However, it changes the balance of the machine making it feel heavier. The solution to this is to shorten the stem by one hole which corrects the balance (making it impossible to tell the difference between this setup and the standard coil and stem one hole longer) - certainly NO need for a bungee.

Evan

Also here I have noticed some of the fellows have bought an aftermarket coil made by Nel I believe for the equinox.

They have a different footprint shape and doesn't seem to be as wide. Not sure if you are familiar with them or not but they look very nice.

I have had a couple of Nel coils for other units. They are very well made.
I use the XP ORX and XP Deus Metal Detectors.
Bigtim1973

Dave The Slave wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:27 pm Hello Tim, Have used the Garrett 400i for almost 5 years since they first came out.
The reason why, until Sept 2016 did not have an inland permission but luckily have miles of beach a 10 minute drive away.
Had invested in a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, in 2005 as an easy to use beach machine, Did a couple of years then gave detecting a rest change of jobs etc. 2013 able to get into Beach detecting again, having no money, the idea was to fund a better detector with coins from the beach but not purchase until i could get somewhere inland. Reading reviews etc, the Ace 250 was going to be my purchase when the time was right. Not into Tech and needed something that was switch on and go and easy to use.
Three years passed and i finally managed to get an inland permission for 6 months while crops were off. The beach funds meant i could afford more than the 250. Looked at the 300i but for a bit more which i had the 400i with a larger coil could be purchased and so it was. Easy to use and has found Silver, Bronze, Copper Alloy etc, Bronze Age, Roman and not forgetting lead and rusty iron.
Not a person who likes or feels the need for change, very used to this machine and its simplicity. When the original coil finally broke last season was going to replace like for like but the Nel Tornado coil was actually cheaper and gives more coverage and a better balance, especially with stubble.
Due to time constraints do use discrimination, so tend to dig every signal, looking at the number just gives an idea of what could be there, but numerous items have the same number.
Would probably stay with the same machine if it ever needed replacing.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.

Hey Dave thanks for your input. How did the bounty hunter do on the beach for you???

Your the first person I even saw do that with that unit.

The Garrett 400 is probably the best one in that series IMO. It has a good easy to see ID number and is a very economical machine for what it offers.

I had an ace 250 as well. It was really at the time one of the best bang for the buck machines out there. It rivaled Whites coin master from the the same time period and was a bit less cost.

I found my first silver Mercury dime, Indian head penny and civil war bullet with that machine. It was fun.

The coils made over in Eastern Europe and even Russia are of very good quality. I have had some of the NEL and MGC coils. Very well made and light weight too.
Dave The Slave

The Bounty Hunter on dry sand i found very accurate, with about 6" depth on coins. Precision on target 100%.
Not suitable on wet sand but i have no interest in that.
Sure they are made by Texas Instruments ?
Still going strong after 16 years. With the 2 tones did have it set up to discriminate out bottle tops, the scourge of beach detectorists..
Dave.
Bigtim1973

Dave The Slave wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:09 pm The Bounty Hunter on dry sand i found very accurate, with about 6" depth on coins. Precision on target 100%.
Not suitable on wet sand but i have no interest in that.
Sure they are made by Texas Instruments ?
Still going strong after 16 years. With the 2 tones did have it set up to discriminate out bottle tops, the scourge of beach detectorists..
Dave.
Very interesting. They were always under rated. Made by First Texas the same who makes Teknetics and Fisher these days.

Alot of their engineering design circuits by George Payne, the original Teknetics founder, was purchased by First Texas and placed into their current models. Also Dave Johnson is another engineer working for them too. One of the best here in the states. He designed the dual discrimination Fisher 1260, Tesoro lobo super traq and the ground tracking circuits which later on was incorporated into the whites MXT. Also has designed several others including the Teknetics T2 which kind of launched the First Texas company into a current competitor of modern metal detectors with the T2 becoming very popular.

Thanks for your input!!