Things you don’t want to hear…

Oxgirl

I texted a landowner just after Christmas to apologise for not going over to drop in a bottle (it was lockdown) and asking if there were any fields free. I got no response and didn’t want to push it.

Got the finds back from recording them recently so used it as an excuse to text again and ask about harvesting. A few days later she responded telling me they’d be harvested in the next couple of weeks. Then she added ‘there are a few fields that were set aside over the winter you could go on. Sorry I should have told you that a few months ago’

:pulling hair out: :pulling hair out: :pulling hair out: :silent:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Dave The Slave

That`s a shame Cath.
Know how you feel about not pushing it with landowners, after all we are their guests.
It is their lively hood and we are just on their periphery.
Hopefully the set aside is not too overgrown for you to make use of.
Good Luck, :thumbsup:
Dave.
shaggybfc

It could have been worse, you could’ve been told they’d given the land to a FB MD club and you wasn’t welcome back on….. :o
This rain will make those weeds grow fast
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
figgis

Not a good thing to hear, Cath, but it ain't as bad as, "Sorry, we've run out of gin." :shock:

One of my permissions had a field set aside that the farmer made me aware of well in advance, but I was filling me boots on another field and concentrated on that, and by the time I could no longer swing on it the set aside was waist-high in weeds.
Bigtim1973

Oxgirl wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:44 pm I texted a landowner just after Christmas to apologise for not going over to drop in a bottle (it was lockdown) and asking if there were any fields free. I got no response and didn’t want to push it.

Got the finds back from recording them recently so used it as an excuse to text again and ask about harvesting. A few days later she responded telling me they’d be harvested in the next couple of weeks. Then she added ‘there are a few fields that were set aside over the winter you could go on. Sorry I should have told you that a few months ago’

:pulling hair out: :pulling hair out: :pulling hair out: :silent:

I thought you were going to say they gave you the boot.

You have good news IMO.
I use the XP ORX and XP Deus Metal Detectors.
Easylife

Whilst not wanting to bother the landowner, my philosophy is if you don't ask you don't get. I once asked my farmer if they happened to know who owned a load of other land in the area just to be told "Oh, that's mine too!". So I asked if they had any more land and found out that they rent some in another village, just remembered that so I might check it out now! But the thing is that if I hadn't asked then they likely would not have said anything about it.
With the cultivated it's just a case of keeping an eye on it's condition as to if it's suitable to detect.
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Paint

Hi another difficult thing too hear is that two off my land owners have passed away this winter one at the age of 50 which was really sad still haven’t got round to asking there families not sure how long to leave it I have passed my regards onto them
it is life but still is difficult
Paint
Saffron

I had one today that trumps Oxgirl's story.

Been thinking for ages that I need to get some new permissions, as mine are not the most productive. Additionally they are nearly all old pasture which means if we get a hot dry period (as is forecast for August) they are undetectable :thumbdown: . So I had been thinking of what possible contacts I had without any joy, then the dressage at the Olympics came on TV ...... made me think of Victoria who used to do dressage and although I had not seen for ages I used to know well.... and her parents own a large mainly arable farm :idea:

Had things on the last few days (and checking on the link Oxgirl put up the other day on the most recent image the corn had not been cut) but was going to contact them early next week. I was as fairly confident that the answer would be yes and years ago they let me go fishing there :Party: :Party:

Yesterday had an e-mail from a detecting friend that I had not seen for a couple of years saying that today he was doing a display today at a local museum as part of an event they had on, and if I have nothing on go down as it would be good to catch up. So decide to go and see him.

Great to see him and have a chat and see his display. Listen to him giving his speal several times as people visit his stand. As some are detectorist join in some of the converstations. During one of these he points out a fantastic Tudor Hawking Vervel that he found and was declared as treasure, and won a national competition on the forum he uses .... then mentions the location which consists of the farm I was about to contact and half a dozen houses :shock: ...... confirming my fears he then mentions the farmers name :cry: :cry:

As soon as its clear I say I used to know the farmer and his family well and had been intending to try to get permission to detect there. He said I should have as it must have been the site of medieval fairs as his club, which detects the farm, had found over 200 hammered coins, and various other items :shock: :cry: :cry:

When I got permission to fish there was before I started detecting .... I don't believe what I might have missed out on.

Evan
Oxgirl

Wow Evan I’m wincing for you. That would break my heart :pulling hair out:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking