Deus x35 coil size

mattjb

Now I’ve pretty much decided to get a deus lite my next dilemma is which coil size to get in the x35 9” or 11”. I guess that is the downside to the deus, it is expensive to buy extra coils . At lot of the land I detect on with the explorer gives an earbashing in all metal so obviously a lot of iron or mineralisation so as Jamesey suggested in our pm chat a 9” would be a good choice. I was wondering if there’s much depth difference between the two coils and what other deus users would recommend as a good first coil
Bigtim1973

I can only comment on the 9 inch. I have found it to be plenty deep enough for me. Even though it has a smaller footprint, it is the deepest configuration I have ever used with a 9 inch coil.

Even deeper than other coils with a larger footprint.

I had an 13 inch aftermarket coil by MGC out of Russia for a Makro Racer 2 the same time I first received my 9 inch XP stuff.

I have found small 36 caliber civil war shot at the 10 inch depth with the 9 inch coil.

And coins too.

Before the deus machines I was using other brands with larger 11 inch stock coils such as the Makro/Nokta and Minelab and Fisher/Teknetics with their 11 inch snowshoe coil.

The XP coil could easily keep up with those stock coils and also the aftermarket MGC 13 inch coil in my soil.

For those that use those name brands currently, Please understand I am not bashing the other name brands at all. I enjoy the hobby and have owned a ton of units from first hand experience.

Only giving reference for comparison.

But if you search pasture and fields you may wish to get the 11 inch just for better coverage.

I tend to hunt old houses more than open pasture.

I cannot see the 11 inch making the deus off balance that much either.

And if you choose that route, it should not be that much more in cost.
I use the XP ORX and XP Deus Metal Detectors.
mattjb

Bigtim1973 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:42 pm I can only comment on the 9 inch. I have found it to be plenty deep enough for me. Even though it has a smaller footprint, it is the deepest configuration I have ever used with a 9 inch coil.

Even deeper than other coils with a larger footprint.

I had an 13 inch aftermarket coil by MGC out of Russia for a Makro Racer 2 the same time I first received my 9 inch XP stuff.

I have found small 36 caliber civil war shot at the 10 inch depth with the 9 inch coil.

And coins too.

Before the deus machines I was using other brands with larger 11 inch stock coils such as the Makro/Nokta and Minelab and Fisher/Teknetics with their 11 inch snowshoe coil.

The XP coil could easily keep up with those stock coils and also the aftermarket MGC 13 inch coil in my soil.

For those that use those name brands currently, Please understand I am not bashing the other name brands at all. I enjoy the hobby and have owned a ton of units from first hand experience.

Only giving reference for comparison.

But if you search pasture and fields you may wish to get the 11 inch just for better coverage.

I tend to hunt old houses more than open pasture.

I cannot see the 11 inch making the deus off balance that much either.

And if you choose that route, it should not be that much more in cost.
Thanks Tim, I search open fields, some are pretty big and mainly arable. I think Alexander uses an 11” coil on his lite. I’ve also seen a vid where Gary Blackwell used a 9” one on pasture to good effect.Both will do the job by the looks of it . Obviously it’s a choice out of more coverage and maybe slightly more depth with the 11, vs the 9” being a bit better in iron I guess.
figgis

For iron-infested sites I find the 9" is preferable and I have to say I've noticed no marked difference in depth.
mattjb

figgis wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:35 pm For iron-infested sites I find the 9" is preferable and I have to say I've noticed no marked difference in depth.
Thanks figgis, I’m toying with the idea of getting the 11” x35 to start with then maybe adding a 9” HF coil later. Then I’ll have 2 sizes and all frequencies covered.
Was using a 12x10 SEF on the explorer this morning, I like that size as you can cover the ground well without going too slow. Was digging plenty of targets, unfortunately mostly small bits of lead and shotgun ends!
Easylife

I used the 11" black and 9" HF coil to grid an old pasture field and thought that they gave about the same depth.
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
mattjb

Easylife wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:07 pm I used the 11" black and 9" HF coil to grid an old pasture field and thought that they gave about the same depth.
:thumbsup: Thanks for the input, handy to have a few opinions
shaggybfc

I have the X35 11" coil and the 9" HF. Coil. I use the 11" coil mainly and the hf coil in iron infested areas. Both are great when used with either the Hot or Tinner program :thumbsup:
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
mattjb

shaggybfc wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:02 pm I have the X35 11" coil and the 9" HF. Coil. I use the 11" coil mainly and the hf coil in iron infested areas. Both are great when used with either the Hot or Tinner program :thumbsup:
Nice one, the hot program is what I intend to start with,from what I’ve read it’s a great general purpose program and being full tones will give plenty of info in the lite set up having no screen. :thumbsup:
Paint

Hi I’m know expert and lucky enough to own 9”hf, 11” x35 and 13” x35 us mainly the hot program with oxgirl,s tweaks I have had good results with all of them currently using the 13” mostly and changing later in the day to 9”hf when arm is getting tired I think it’s more about walking over it than the coil choices you should do well which ever coil you chose
Not much help but I love the deus it has found me loads of goodies
Good luck paint :thumbsup:
mattjb

Paint wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:58 pm Hi I’m know expert and lucky enough to own 9”hf, 11” x35 and 13” x35 us mainly the hot program with oxgirl,s tweaks I have had good results with all of them currently using the 13” mostly and changing later in the day to 9”hf when arm is getting tired I think it’s more about walking over it than the coil choices you should do well which ever coil you chose
Not much help but I love the deus it has found me loads of goodies
Good luck paint :thumbsup:
:thumbsup: looking forward to getting out there and getting stuck in.I know there will be a learning curve though!
Easylife

Paint wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:58 pm I think it’s more about walking over it than the coil choices, you should do well which ever coil you chose.
I completely agree, there are no magical programs either, just settings that are something like to detect most targets. With the Deus a lot of the so called program differences are mainly just a change of target tones. Personally I just don't get the need for a different program name for every slight Deus setting adjustment which is just standard practice on all other detectors. But whatever works! :D :thumbsup:
Oxgirl

11”

Balances ground coverage and sensitivity :thumbsup:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Easylife

mattjb wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:43 pm Looking forward to getting out there and getting stuck in. I know there will be a learning curve though!
The Deus is good compared to many detectors, though always Interesting to compare over the same targets as the XS for self experience. I would imagine that it will find some more shallower targets on ground that you have previously hammered with the XS at least as no doubt will give better target separation? :thumbsup:
mattjb

Oxgirl wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:58 pm 11”

Balances ground coverage and sensitivity :thumbsup:
That what I went for in the end. Hopefully will arrive tomorrow, Other half and young un are away all weekend at a wedding I managed to avoid so a weekend of learning as I go awaits! To be honest from what I’ve seen on Gary Blackwell’s vids it should be too hard, just getting used to the tones the other way round than the way I’ve got them on the xs