Deus x35 coil size

figgis

mattjb wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:10 pm The Deus Lite arrived yesterday,amazing how light it is and how compact it is when folded up.
When I first got my Deus I showed it in its folded-up state to a mate who had done a bit of detecting with a Viking (the machine, not a wild-eyed raider) and he held it up with a puzzled look and asked where the rest of it was :lol:

As for which programmes to use, you'll hear plenty of recommendations, all of which have merit. My own personal fave is the Ultimate programme which I've used pretty much exclusively for the past four years, but I'd say the key is to start off with a simple programme you're happy with before branching out into full tones etc. But whatever, I hope you enjoy the machine and never be afraid to ask any of the inevitable questions the use of it will no doubt throw up.

Best of luck to you! :thumbsup:
mattjb

Cheers Figgis,
As you can probably work out already I’m never afraid to ask questions!
mattjb

figgis wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:39 pm When I first got my Deus I showed it in its folded-up state to a mate who had done a bit of detecting with a Viking (the machine, not a wild-eyed raider) and he held it up with a puzzled look and asked where the rest of it was :lol:

As for which programmes to use, you'll hear plenty of recommendations, all of which have merit. My own personal fave is the Ultimate programme which I've used pretty much exclusively for the past four years, but I'd say the key is to start off with a simple programme you're happy with before branching out into full tones etc. But whatever, I hope you enjoy the machine and never be afraid to ask any of the inevitable questions the use of it will no doubt throw up.

Best of luck to you! :thumbsup:
By the way, what is the headless figure in your avatar?
figgis

Me on a Saturday night :lol:

It's a Roman statuette of Mercury which I found using the Deus with the Ultimate programme dialled in :D :thumbsup:
mattjb

figgis wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:51 pm Me on a Saturday night :lol:

It's a Roman statuette of Mercury which I found using the Deus with the Ultimate programme dialled in :D :thumbsup:
Nice 👍
figgis

Here he is in his full but headless glory:
statuette.jpg
Bit of bronze disease going on in that pic but I've had a bash at it since :thumbsup:
mattjb

figgis wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:07 pm Here he is in his full but headless glory:

statuette.jpg

Bit of bronze disease going on in that pic but I've had a bash at it since :thumbsup:
:thumbsup: Shame about the missing head but still a really nice interesting find.
Not much Roman on my main permission though I did find the fibula the other day and part of one last week.Very rarely find any Roman coins ,whether they just aren’t there or maybe they corrode away.
Supposed Roman occupation on a field on another permission but waiting for a crop to come off of that one.
I think medieval is my favourite time period to find stuff from overall,love the hammered coins and buckles etc from that era.
figgis

mattjb wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:31 pm Not much Roman on my main permission though I did find the fibula the other day and part of one last week.
Where there are fibulae there will be coins but, and this is the weird bit, often the coins will be later than the brooches by a century or three. Lord knows why, but it seems a common thing.
mattjb wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:31 pm I think medieval is my favourite time period to find stuff from overall,love the hammered coins and buckles etc from that era.
Over and above Roman? Weirdo :lol:
mattjb

figgis wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:42 pm Where there are fibulae there will be coins but, and this is the weird bit, often the coins will be later than the brooches by a century or three. Lord knows why, but it seems a common thing.
Over and above Roman? Weirdo :lol:
Maybe using a different detector like a deus might sniff em out if they are there though you’d have thought the explorer would have picked them up.
I don’t think I’m the only weirdo on here that likes medieval more than Roman , there’s at least one other! :lol:
Oxgirl

mattjb wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:05 pm Thanks Cath, I’ll bear that in mind . I’m used to a barrage of noise from using the xs on max manual sensitivity on all metal so hopefully I will manage with it in hot. If not I’ll give GMP a try . The deus fast seems to be one of the other recommended programs for new users, I see it’s very similar to gmp but faster from what the manual says. Is there much difference in depth between the commonly used programs or are they much of a muchness so to speak?
:thumbsup:
GMP will miss some small silver and other rargets. It is nowhere near as sensitive as hot. Fast is brilliant on small iron sites to pick out small good targets amongst the iron. Basically the reactivity is set much higher. On those sites depth isn’t our problem really is it? It’s just hearing the good stuff. But yes the compromise is depth. Use on Roman and medieval habitation sites.

On HOT the standard reactivity is 3. Dropping it to 2.5 seems to significantly increase depth. I keep the frequency on the stock ~17 kHz (~20 kHz with the HF coil). That frequency is, in my experience, perfect for my sites where I’m looking for small copper artefacts and small medieval silver. I have no issue finding cut quarters at 4-6” but equally deeper coins and buckles ring clear at 6 to regularly 8”. If you drop to a reactivity of 2 it changes other settings (can’t remember what - I keep forgetting - but Gary has a video on it) and I find it hard to separate deep good targets from deep iron so never go there anymore.

Hope that helps :thumbsup:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Bigtim1973

I took and made a little program based off one of Gary Blackwell's video of the hot settings and placed them into program 6, the deep program.

I added full tones and run it either 17khz or 31khz.

I also had to run the disc up to about 5 to quiet down the ground chirps and popping.

Gary Blackwell mentioned on his video to try it and I like it.

The cool thing about the deus even the lite version is that it has plenty of settings to keep one happy.

You will find after a bit the one configuration you prefer. It is fun
I use the XP ORX and XP Deus Metal Detectors.
mattjb

Oxgirl wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:54 pm GMP will miss some small silver and other rargets. It is nowhere near as sensitive as hot. Fast is brilliant on small iron sites to pick out small good targets amongst the iron. Basically the reactivity is set much higher. On those sites depth isn’t our problem really is it? It’s just hearing the good stuff. But yes the compromise is depth. Use on Roman and medieval habitation sites.

On HOT the standard reactivity is 3. Dropping it to 2.5 seems to significantly increase depth. I keep the frequency on the stock ~17 kHz (~20 kHz with the HF coil). That frequency is, in my experience, perfect for my sites where I’m looking for small copper artefacts and small medieval silver. I have no issue finding cut quarters at 4-6” but equally deeper coins and buckles ring clear at 6 to regularly 8”. If you drop to a reactivity of 2 it changes other settings (can’t remember what - I keep forgetting - but Gary has a video on it) and I find it hard to separate deep good targets from deep iron so never go there anymore.

Hope that helps :thumbsup:
Thanks ,that’s really useful. From what I’ve read a fair number end up using the hot or a variation of it and on my permissions I’m after the same stuff as you .I’ll persevere on hot on 2.5 reactivity , as if I’m going to end up using that I may as well learn from the start on that one! Being arable ,depth isn’t critical but I’m going to lose a fair bit detecting over barley stubble so every bit helps!
I’ll report back Saturday evening and let you know how it went.
Easylife

I'd choose the 11" coil too, the 9" pings a bit sharper but the 11" inch won't miss anything that the 9" will get and covers a bit more ground too. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
HolzHammer

Hi Matt,
Ive been a bit busy so haven't checked the forum recently - well done for going with the Deus I had a feeling you might have gone to the dark side!!! There is a bit of a learning curve (esp. sound wise) but once you get the hang of it I think you'll really enjoy the complexity of it and the scope!
Let me know if I can help in any way - esp in 'Lite' matters. As to the other tweaks, when searching stubble in the HOT I lower the frequency to 11kHz and maybe raise the sensitivity a notch or two ( 93/4) - prob doesn't make a whole lot of difference but worked well for me today.

One thing more and this is prob psychological, but I rarely change the settings too much once I have started my session... if I suddenly decide to change frequency/reactivity and perhaps sensitivity because I am not getting many good signals, then I just worry if the change of settings has in fact made a negative effect... the signals may just not have been there in the first place! Small setting changes won't suddenly make targets appear they may just make them slightly easier to get through!

Looking forward to hearing how you get on! Perservere if it all feels a bit odd and mad to start with if you are using the HOT you'll soon get used to it. Remember its a refined machine for refined detectorists! Good Luck!
Alexander
mattjb

HolzHammer wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:37 am Hi Matt,
Ive been a bit busy so haven't checked the forum recently - well done for going with the Deus I had a feeling you might have gone to the dark side!!! There is a bit of a learning curve (esp. sound wise) but once you get the hang of it I think you'll really enjoy the complexity of it and the scope!
Let me know if I can help in any way - esp in 'Lite' matters. As to the other tweaks, when searching stubble in the HOT I lower the frequency to 11kHz and maybe raise the sensitivity a notch or two ( 93/4) - prob doesn't make a whole lot of difference but worked well for me today.

One thing more and this is prob psychological, but I rarely change the settings too much once I have started my session... if I suddenly decide to change frequency/reactivity and perhaps sensitivity because I am not getting many good signals, then I just worry if the change of settings has in fact made a negative effect... the signals may just not have been there in the first place! Small setting changes won't suddenly make targets appear they may just make them slightly easier to get through!

Looking forward to hearing how you get on! Perservere if it all feels a bit odd and mad to start with if you are using the HOT you'll soon get used to it. Remember its a refined machine for refined detectorists! Good Luck!
Alexander
Hi Alexander, thanks for the tips and encouragement! Day one wasn’t too bad! See separate thread