Deus x35 coil size

mattjb

HolzHammer wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:37 am Hi Matt,
Ive been a bit busy so haven't checked the forum recently - well done for going with the Deus I had a feeling you might have gone to the dark side!!! There is a bit of a learning curve (esp. sound wise) but once you get the hang of it I think you'll really enjoy the complexity of it and the scope!
Let me know if I can help in any way - esp in 'Lite' matters. As to the other tweaks, when searching stubble in the HOT I lower the frequency to 11kHz and maybe raise the sensitivity a notch or two ( 93/4) - prob doesn't make a whole lot of difference but worked well for me today.

One thing more and this is prob psychological, but I rarely change the settings too much once I have started my session... if I suddenly decide to change frequency/reactivity and perhaps sensitivity because I am not getting many good signals, then I just worry if the change of settings has in fact made a negative effect... the signals may just not have been there in the first place! Small setting changes won't suddenly make targets appear they may just make them slightly easier to get through!

Looking forward to hearing how you get on! Perservere if it all feels a bit odd and mad to start with if you are using the HOT you'll soon get used to it. Remember its a refined machine for refined detectorists! Good Luck!
Alexander
Tried the hot in 12khz today, 11khz caused an audio punch up between the deus and the Garrett carrot! Also cranked up the sensitivity to 95. It was a bit crackly but definitely enhanced the signals so it’s something I’ll try again on stubble .
Charles Abbeyville

mattjb wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:18 am Now I’ve pretty much decided to get a deus lite my next dilemma is which coil size to get in the x35 9” or 11”. I guess that is the downside to the deus, it is expensive to buy extra coils . At lot of the land I detect on with the explorer gives an earbashing in all metal so obviously a lot of iron or mineralisation so as Jamesey suggested in our pm chat a 9” would be a good choice. I was wondering if there’s much depth difference between the two coils and what other deus users would recommend as a good first coil
x35 9inch, 100%. :thumbsup:
AnalogueSkywalker

Like others on here, I’m a hot program lover too. I also lower the reactivity to 2.5 for general use as it makes the audio signal on targets a little wider and gives more depth. In fact i find that when there is a little moisture in the ground the Hot program goes plenty deep for my personal taste.

Re coils: I’ve had my Deus for four years and used the 9 &11 inch X-35’s and also the round HF. I ended up selling my 11 inch X-35 as it was my least liked of the three, but that isn’t to say the well thought of 11inch wasn’t very good in my estimation, its a nice coil and that extra coverage can come in handy on larger quieter sites, its also sensitive enough to find small hammered, i know this from personal experience, its just that i find the 9inch X-35 has the best attributes. Its beautifully light, though in truth its the same weight as its 11inch sibling, but, crucially, having a smaller spread it is better balanced and feels perfect to swing all day with no ill effects on my anatomy, for my money it has a great feel to it, whereas the 11inch feels a tad nose heavy in comparison, and a little floppy on the end of the shaft which tends to flex more with the larger coils. The 9 inch also has slightly better discrimination and target resolution than its larger siblings, I believe. Its obviously easier to get into tight spots too, and is always going to be an easier ride if you have to hack through fresh stubble. As far as depth goes, on small coin and ring sized items the depth is very similar, and that's the kind of items I’m looking for. I’ve never been one for using the really large coils. Minelab’s 17inch coil for example, sod swinging that all day! What are people looking for with those? Dustbin lids? Lol

I round off my armoury of two Deus coils with the 9inch round HF. This coil means i can run the gamut of frequencies, my X-35 does the lower and middle frequencies, my HF will go up to 55khz. Quite enough for me. I mostly run the HF coil at 28khz which i believe is the sweet spot. Its also supposed to be slightly better at picking out goodies from in between iron. I have found that the HF coil punches deeper than i expected at 28khz, comparable to the 9inch X-35 at 18khz, I believe.

I think the 9inch XP coils have the best set of attributes, at least for my detecting needs. Deep when tweaked to be so, comfy to swing, slightly less prone to EMI, better discrimination and target resolution, improved target separation…
mattjb

AnalogueSkywalker wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:18 pm Like others on here, I’m a hot program lover too. I also lower the reactivity to 2.5 for general use as it makes the audio signal on targets a little wider and gives more depth. In fact i find that when there is a little moisture in the ground the Hot program goes plenty deep for my personal taste.

Re coils: I’ve had my Deus for four years and used the 9 &11 inch X-35’s and also the round HF. I ended up selling my 11 inch X-35 as it was my least liked of the three, but that isn’t to say the well thought of 11inch wasn’t very good in my estimation, its a nice coil and that extra coverage can come in handy on larger quieter sites, its also sensitive enough to find small hammered, i know this from personal experience, its just that i find the 9inch X-35 has the best attributes. Its beautifully light, though in truth its the same weight as its 11inch sibling, but, crucially, having a smaller spread it is better balanced and feels perfect to swing all day with no ill effects on my anatomy, for my money it has a great feel to it, whereas the 11inch feels a tad nose heavy in comparison, and a little floppy on the end of the shaft which tends to flex more with the larger coils. The 9 inch also has slightly better discrimination and target resolution than its larger siblings, I believe. Its obviously easier to get into tight spots too, and is always going to be an easier ride if you have to hack through fresh stubble. As far as depth goes, on small coin and ring sized items the depth is very similar, and as thats the kind of items I’m looking for I’ve never been one for using the really large coils. Minelab’s 17inch coil for example, sod swinging that all day! What are people looking for with those? Dustbin lids? Lol

I round off my armoury of two Deus coils with the 9inch round HF. This coil means i can run the gamut of frequencies, my X-35 does the lower and middle frequencies, my HF will go up to 55khz. Quite enough for me. I mostly run the HF coil at 28khz which i believe is the sweet spot. Its also supposed to be slightly better at picking out goodies from in between iron. I have found that the HF coil punches deeper than i expected at 28khz, comparable to the 9inch X-35 at 18khz, I believe.

I think the 9inch XP coils have the best set of attributes, at least for my detecting needs. Deep when tweaked to be so, comfy to swing, slightly less prone to EMI, better discrimination and target resolution, improved target separation…
Interesting to hear your opinions :thumbsup:
After I started this thread I bought a deus lite with an x35 11” coil and got on well with it , mostly used in hot 17khz , reactivity 2.5. Around February this year I bought a second hand round hf and have been using that mostly since then,it definitely has made a difference to my hammy count,seems to winkle them out better than the x35. My permissions seem to be pretty mineralised and have plenty of iron on the better fields so maybe the hf is better suited to those conditions. I’ve started using it in 55khz over the last couple of months but also had good results with 29khz.If there’s not much iron I keep in 2.5 reactivity but in the noisy areas up it to 3 or 4 which seems to help pick out the good stuff from in between the iron.
9” is also a handier size when working the rows of maize stubble