Expectations

mattjb

When I go out, I aim to get just one good or interesting find,if I achieve that I’m happy and any more is a bonus.On my permissions it often works out that one is all I get!
How about everyone else, how high do you set the expectation bar?!
Paint

Last couple of digs I’ve been lucky to get 3 nice finds but was on a bad run up until then I guess it’s always nice to have one nice find every time but it’s not like that for me can go weeks without anything then it’s like busses all at one just keep saying next one could be the start of a good run :thumbsup:
Bigtim1973

The same when I go out.

Only a handful of sites I have detected was that I was the first person who had the joy of being first on that site.

For me it goes either one of two ways.

When I get my first target and dig and it is a Stellar find and I think....oh boy this site is going to be great. Then the rest of the day there is a wash.

Or I find a few bits here and there of nothing good until I am about 10 feet from my truck getting ready to leave and wham....right there beside where I parked was the only good target worth digging.

It is just the character of the hobby itself. But i would rather dig a few odd bits of stuff than not dig at all. I believe I enjoy the relaxation of switching everything out of your mind off and just enjoying being outdoors.

It is a great hobby.
I use the XP ORX and XP Deus Metal Detectors.
Metalurgy

Never have I had any expectation,that can only lead to inevitable disappointment,I go out because I enjoy it,whatever the result,any find of any consequence is a bonus,the unexpected even more so.
TerraBritannia

I don't go out with any expectation but I do have hope, that can often fade into despair though. :D
TerraBritannia [previously known as TerraEnglandia] but Andy is my real name.
https://www.youtube.com/TerraBritannia
Minelab Equinox 800
mattjb

Having an expectation can work both ways I guess,sometimes it can push you on, I’d rather not go home empty handed so it makes me stay that little bit longer!
but as others have said, if you don’t have any expectations at all then you can’t go home disappointed.
Oxgirl

Having been on a dig with some relative newcomers to the hobby I realise my expectations are incredibly high and I’ve become very blasé about a lot of finds which are actually very good.

Saying that though I was excited about lead tokens that others weren’t that excited about. It’s all about whats common in your area and what isn’t. One lady has had two ampullae this year (I’ve never had a sniff of one) and I’d give my eye teeth for one, but I’m lucky to get lots of crotal bells and that’s on a lot of people’s wish lists.

I know I should be happy to get a good Victorian copper coin but they don’t make my heart sing anymore. That is a bit depressing and rather spoilt isn’t it. I’m not proud of that :(
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
alloverover

Always got to have the expectation that there is something good on the field, in the last few weeks ive had a few hours in what is essentially someones (large) garden and had a Saxon pendant and done a few hours on a new field the areas around which have turned up nothing but modern and had a quarter stater but to be honest, I wouldnt of had either if I hadnt been searching the areas like I didnt expect to find something :thumbsup:
mattjb

Oxgirl wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:10 pm Having been on a dig with some relative newcomers to the hobby I realise my expectations are incredibly high and I’ve become very blasé about a lot of finds which are actually very good.

Saying that though I was excited about lead tokens that others weren’t that excited about. It’s all about whats common in your area and what isn’t. One lady has had two ampullae this year (I’ve never had a sniff of one) and I’d give my eye teeth for one, but I’m lucky to get lots of crotal bells and that’s on a lot of people’s wish lists.

I know I should be happy to get a good Victorian copper coin but they don’t make my heart sing anymore. That is a bit depressing and rather spoilt isn’t it. I’m not proud of that :(
It’s only natural not to get excited about Vicky coppers though as you progress through the hobby as they turn up often. They can brighten up an otherwise blank day though sometimes!
figgis

Agree with what Oxgirl and Allover say above.

On one particular field I just know I'm going to turn up something good and it's a disappointment when I don't. Having said that, I've just looked at my records for that field and have only failed to find Roman or medieval once in 21 visits in the past year :shock: However, that field is exceptional and there will come a time when I must lower my expectations and work harder to winkle out whatever remains. Not keen on that thought, mind, as it would entail actually learning how my machine works :lol:

Other sites I approach with a positive outlook, even if they haven't been particularly productive in the past. Last weekend, for example, I scooted off to a permission positively festooned with musket balls with a garnish of green waste, but I've had hammered off it too and know there will be more there. Ok, I ended up with a pouch full of musket balls and rubbish, but there would be little point in going if that's all I expected to find.
Easylife

What a great question? I guess that it really quite depends upon your permission? I've probably been detecting the same pasture for about 5 years, know it really well and love being there but it's getting noticeably quiet of finds now, yet I just know that it has much more to give though deeper. I guess that I always still have certain expectations of finds though know none are guaranteed, yet just know that I will find stuff and always do, not necessarily anything great but general okay stuff!
Sure things can't last forever but there always seems to be about 70 or so targets each time on mine though mostly scrap. All of the targets are deep on my old pasture so just have to interpret them best to get the results. It's unusual not to find say a Vicky coin, not that I'm fussed about them, but it's just nice to find a few coins anyway! Likewise a WWI military button of badge is not an uncommon find though any new type is always most welcome. So even though targets are much less now, apart from the usual finds I'm always hoping to find something a bit different and occasionally do! It's always a nice experience even if the finds aren't particularly great!
Well if you don't set yourself any expectations then you won't be dissapointed! :Thinking:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Dave The Slave

Don`t really go out expecting to find anything interesting.
Any signal is welcome, although after the umpteenth shottie......
Like to find at least one item, i can send a bit of History about to the landowner.
Have had days where a small 4 hole button at the end of the session has been welcome.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Pete E

Oxgirl wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:10 pm I know I should be happy to get a good Victorian copper coin but they don’t make my heart sing anymore. That is a bit depressing and rather spoilt isn’t it. I’m not proud of that :(
I don't think spoilt is the right word, it's just that your looking for a different type of find...I would love to find some more Roman, and I would be happy if I could find so called grots, but I know you don't care for them...

Some people badly want a lead ampula, but they don't really do anything for me, but I like my patterned spindle whorls...Everybody is different and I suspect our bucket lists change the longer we detect...
Oxgirl

Pete E wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:48 pm I don't think spoilt is the right word, it's just that your looking for a different type of find...I would love to find some more Roman, and I would be happy if I could find so called grots, but I know you don't care for them...

Some people badly want a lead ampula, but they don't really do anything for me, but I like my patterned spindle whorls...Everybody is different and I suspect our bucket lists change the longer we detect...
A decorated spindle whorl would make me grin. Never found one - lots of plain ones but nothing with a pattern. In fact never had one of the plain smooth ones with the tapered edges either. Most round here are pretty rough or maybe an odd smooth rounded one. The patterned ones are works of art in my opinion and very nice :Star:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Pete E

Oxgirl wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:37 pm A decorated spindle whorl would make me grin. Never found one - lots of plain ones but nothing with a pattern. In fact never had one of the plain smooth ones with the tapered edges either. Most round here are pretty rough or maybe an odd smooth rounded one. The patterned ones are works of art in my opinion and very nice :Star:
I am in the same situation with crotal bells...I think we get more spindle whorls simply because sheep and wool historically played a bigger role in society than other farm stock, and where you are the reverse is probably true....