Expectations

Saffron

I expect to find nothing.

Sadly I am often proved right :thumbdown: But even then does it matter?. I have been out in the fresh air and had some exercise, which has to be good for both my mental and physical health.

There are even days when my finds excede my expectations. :thumbsup: in rare case by finding really nice items :Party: :Party:

I have known days when the finds have been non-existant, yet I might have spent 5 minutes watching a group of deer or watching a plane do aerobatics (I used to even see a spitifire around here). You could never "expect" to see these, but they make the day as much as any find.

Surely not knowing what you might find / see is what makes this hobby rather than going out with "expectations".

Evan
mattjb

Saffron wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:31 am I expect to find nothing.

Sadly I am often proved right :thumbdown: But even then does it matter?. I have been out in the fresh air and had some exercise, which has to be good for both my mental and physical health.

There are even days when my finds excede my expectations. :thumbsup: in rare case by finding really nice items :Party: :Party:

I have known days when the finds have been non-existant, yet I might have spent 5 minutes watching a group of deer or watching a plane do aerobatics (I used to even see a spitifire around here). You could never "expect" to see these, but they make the day as much as any find.

Surely not knowing what you might find / see is what makes this hobby rather than going out with "expectations".

Evan
You are right ,and I think that expectations is probably the wrong word , aim would have been more appropriate.
The not knowing what you might find as you say is probably what drives us a lot of the time. My big passion is pike fishing, going for the specimen sized ones and there are a lot of parallels between that and detecting.
The search for the unseen , the anticipation of looking forward to the weekend and thinking what you might catch/find. Also you can’t catch/find what isn’t there.
One last cast/signal before going home, which often results in several last casts/signals!
Being the first on a water/permission is a big benefit and both hobbies have us out in the open air at some beautiful locations.
Usually pike fishing takes over my spare time between October and March but after rediscovering detecting I can see my time being split between fishing and detecting this winter depending on weather and water conditions
Easylife

mattjb wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:10 am I think that expectations is probably the wrong word , aim would have been more appropriate.
In that case my aim is to hopefully find something of interest, even better if there are more of them! :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
figgis

My aim is always to return home with all gin bottles empty.

I invariably achieve my aim :thumbsup: