Target responses!

Easylife

Every single target response at all is something no matter how iffy it sounds. Whether non-ferrous, Iron, or even a combination of both together! So it's just a case of best interpreting that response in order to get the results, but how many actually do? A deep irregular thin wire brooch near iron sounded really quite awful, but just had a kind of repeatable one way response, so maybe not the kind of target that many would perhaps normally dig, but just goes to show what can quite easily be missed?
It's just really down to your detectors abilities and your own interpretation of them rather than just a clear beep to dig?
But of course many of you know that anyway, so how do you actually interrpret those iffy targets with your detector?
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Spook

You can’t, you can only make the decision to dig or walk away .
I’m certain many amazing finds have been walked away from
Paint

The iffy ones usually get more time spent trying to decide whether to dig or not always try different directions over the target work on and off the target it’s harder to walk away after spending more time on it and it’s a nice surprise when something good is found as we all know iffy can mean a coin on edge etc
If the field has lots of good signals then l sometimes leave the iffy ones but after a few visits the good signals dry up so then you try more iffy ones :thumbsup:
Dave The Slave

With the Garrett, because i never use iron audio due to time constraints, dig every signal apart from a 99. They all sound exactly the same.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
TheFenTiger

My harness pendant had an iron tone to it but it was one of those that on another day I may have walked away from but that day decided to dig.
Dave
mattjb

With explorer in conductive and open screen I’ll dig any low tone no matter how iffy or one way it is.3 hammered pennies I’ve had in the last few months have been very iffy signals but were deep on pasture.
I get the very occasional odd shaped iron give a bit of a low tone but it’s a price you have to pay !
figgis

Just about every Roman and Saxon coin/artefact I've ever dug has had an iron buzz to it. Aside from the iron infestation in the soil, finds such as brooches will often have some iron encrustation due to the pin rotting away, but there is invariably a brightness within the signal which says "dig me." Some iron objects will of course give the same brightness but the background buzz will be that much harsher and so I'll usually walk away from them.

I trust my machine, I trust my ears, but even so I'll guarantee there are good finds I've left to fend for themselves.
Pete E

figgis wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:20 pm Just about every Roman and Saxon coin/artefact I've ever dug has had an iron buzz to it. Aside from the iron infestation in the soil, finds such as brooches will often have some iron encrustation due to the pin rotting away, but there is invariably a brightness within the signal which says "dig me." Some iron objects will of course give the same brightness but the background buzz will be that much harsher and so I'll usually walk away from them.

I trust my machine, I trust my ears, but even so I'll guarantee there are good finds I've left to fend for themselves.
Very interesting thread...I have a permission on a small field that I have about done to death for "good signals" ...it's been ploughed, rolled and reseeded with grass so I am leaving it alone for now. However next year I am going to spend some time digging the iffy that are left, in fact I will also dig some iron signals to see if any of these are "wrong" and see what turns up....
Bigtim1973

With the new machines in which there is a minimum amount of disc used or none at all, a lot of the low conductor responds in which there is a threshold break between the tones.

Right on the edge where the low stops and the mid tone begins.

Also an iffy target could be a good one with only a small window of reflection that the frequencies being used can respond to....the way it is lying and such has a lot to do with that.

But....the best thing to do is just dig it up.

That target could change your life in a good way.
I use the XP ORX and XP Deus Metal Detectors.
Pete E

Just a quick question...What difference does depth make to people's decision whether to dig an iffy signal or not?

Personally, rightly or wrongly tend not to dig iffy signals on the shallow side but am much more inclined to dig the deeper ones...thinking about this, I might have to change that approach....
Easylife

On the old pasture all targets are deep. Sometimes just giving an about repeatable one way response. Sometimes they are made of both ferrous and non-ferrous.
Easylife

figgis wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:20 pm Just about every Roman and Saxon coin/artefact I've ever dug has had an iron buzz to it.
I was once on a well hammered Roman field with a club. Not much obvious about so using the Deus I pursued some really quite awful target responses which sounded better when a bit of soil was removed. I got three Roman coins including a nice denarius, better than the rest did. A lesson learnt!
figgis

Easylife wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:06 pm some really quite awful target responses which sounded better when a bit of soil was removed
I do this a lot, and it's amazing how many iffy signals translate into good ones when you've taken a scoop of soil out. It goes to reaffirm how good your ears are and you should trust them :thumbsup:
Saffron

By chance I was reading an old (Aug 2018) Treasure Hunting magazine earlier and it had an article about the Deus and iffy signals. It showed some good finds (including hammered and roman coins) that had been found with "iffy" signals. If anybody keeps their old TH mags its well worth a read.

At the end it challenged readers to dig 10 50/50 iffy signals rather than walk away from them and see what they produced .... maybe its something that we all should do - it might change your view of a digable signal.

FYI: This morning I was out on a "beach" on a local river, basically digging a lot of fishing weights. As nearly back to the car got another signal that strongly suggested yet another but not quite so clear and wondered if it might be rubbish but as it was very shallow decided to dig it .... it was a George V sixpence - the only old item of the session.

Evan
Easylife

Nox targets beyond normal TID range are elevated and jump about the 30's, a guaranteed deep non ferrous target every time, my favourite sort. But beyond that are just down to interpretation.