Target responses!

Rocketfella

With the GMP, strong iffy, suggests shallow or large deeper crap, I normally leave unless I am out to decontaminate a site which I regularly do if it is my local area. Iffy weak signals (with some iron buzz) I always dig, specially if the signal tidies up a bit after the first dig.
shaggybfc

I was at the RCM Rally at the weekend, wandering around with Telstar. I got a signal - one way was 99, high pitched on the Deus (11" X35 coil), flatline grunt at 90 degrees. (using the Tinner program). I asked Telstar to have a look - he was on the Deus standard 9" coil and said he got nothing, so wouldn't dig,. I was going to leave it and walk away. Then a young Scottish lad who was detecting near us saw the discussion and asked if we minded him having a look. He wafted his 11"x13" coil Nox over it and it rang in at 17, so we dug it. It turned out to be a nice silver washed denarius. He is now the proud keeper of a Roman coin :thumbsup: He was a great lad and well pleased to have found a Roman.
I think he followed us around for a while checking everything this pair of old duffers walked away from :lol: :lol:

Moral to this story, as EZ has said, every signal is an object, if in doubt, dig it out.... I never listened to this mantra, something I normally do. Grrr
also, I must buy a Nox with a 11"x13" coil ASAP :lol: :lol:
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
Pete E

All my 17's on the Nox turn out to be scrap! :(

I don't think I have ever had a good target at 17, but you still have to dig them though!
Oxgirl

Moral of this story is stop looking at the numbers! I put my controller away and haven’t looked at it whilst detecting for almost a year and my finds rate has sky rocketed.

You already know to listen to your ears. If there’s a high tone that sounds interesting then dig it! Especially if using higher frequencies as it ups all of the numbers! I find pewter or than white metal they used for buckles in the 17-18th century can sound very weird sometimes too.

P.S. people say the old black coils and X35 coils are not really different - I think that your experiment shows they are!
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Easylife

Pete E wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:29 am All my 17's on the Nox turn out to be scrap! :(

I don't think I have ever had a good target at 17, but you still have to dig them though!
I don't recall many 17's but always plenty of 15, 16, 18 & 19's. My last few hammereds were 15's and the gold sovereign was 18. For me 17 would likely be lead or a small silver item.
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Easylife

shaggybfc wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:57 am Moral to this story, as EZ has said, every signal is an object, if in doubt, dig it out.... I never listened to this mantra, something I normally do. Grrr
also, I must buy a Nox with a 11"x13" coil ASAP :lol: :lol:
There is nothing quite like doing a direct detector test over the same targets, I did and that is why I no longer have a French stick. :D All targets on my pasture are deep and the Nox with 15" coil is the perfect tool for the job! It would still be my choice on cultivated too! :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.