Start of a new Chapter in my Detecting

Dave The Slave

Yesterday marked a new chapter in my detecting History, detecting with a buddy.
Apart from my Son, who has come out with me around 6 times over the years, have always detected alone.
Initially this was an invite from someone, who found out i detected but now is a detecting Team.
Last week spent a couple of hours being shown around various fields available to detect, yesterday detecting became a reality.
Earliest start to a Season, with my permission normally back end of September, so this was making up for some of the months lost last season to lockdown.
First signal, the usual shottie.
Weather had forecast light rain showers and that it was, still pleasant due to the warmth. Nothing much came up but was happy just to be out.
My buddy found a Roman quite early on but no others followed.
Not that many signals, piece of lead, couple of shotties and towards the end, as i mentioned in another thread, a small 4 hole button. In 3 hours only managed 11 items,.
Towards the end the heavens opened with a Biblical deluge, the only thing that could of got us wetter would have been to stand by the side of the road and wait for the next vehicle to part the Red Sea. Have never seen roads and lanes flood so fast. Going back home, 3 miles away was bone dry, no rain whatsoever.
Looking forward to next week, hopefully and i am certain they will, the finds will improve. Need to find a crusty for the Comp.
Good Luck all, :thumbsup:
Dave.
shaggybfc

Looks like a gold hammered there....... if only :D :D
I mosly detect solo, but do have a casual detecting partner. Only took 4 years to know him well enough to invite him onto a permission :) During the season, we meet most Sunday's at club, and sometimes she'll txt me or visa versa if we have an opportunity midweek. It works well - mutual respect for each others permissions and finds :thumbsup:
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
figgis

I'm sure you'll find detecting with someone somewhat strange at first (I would) but ultimately great fun and good to have someone to bounce off in the field. Hope it works out for you both :thumbsup:
Bigtim1973

I am generally a lone wolf when it comes to detecting as well.

But I do have 2 friends I hook up with occasionally. It makes the trip a bit more fun too being with them.

If you or he starts to find an active spot on the field is when having a buddy comes in handy. He or you can holler out and tell them to come over to where the spot got active to possibly start finding good stuff.

I had one fellow I met I tried to hunt with. I took him to one of my permissions. I let him detect there with me a couple of times and then I went one day and found out he had been there without me and he wasn't the one with permission.

I lost trust in people a long time after that.

So now I only stick with 2 personal friends I have known for years when I decide to bring one along.

Another good reason to have a buddy along is if something unexpected happens or an emergency.

But I always tend to at least let someone know where I am going when I do go detecting.

Good luck!
I use the XP ORX and XP Deus Metal Detectors.
figgis

Bigtim1973 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:27 pm I had one fellow I met I tried to hunt with. I took him to one of my permissions. I let him detect there with me a couple of times and then I went one day and found out he had been there without me and he wasn't the one with permission.
A story which is all too commonly heard, sadly :thumbdown: I mean, what is it with people? You show generosity by sharing land you have access to and they repay you by taking the mick. The basic selfishness of the general populace is boundless, but best I shut up a lot now or we'll be here all night :lol:

But Dave's setup, I don't doubt, will prove harmonious and I hope he enjoys it :thumbsup:
Bigtim1973

figgis wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:59 pm A story which is all too commonly heard, sadly :thumbdown: I mean, what is it with people? You show generosity by sharing land you have access to and they repay you by taking the mick. The basic selfishness of the general populace is boundless, but best I shut up a lot now or we'll be here all night :lol:

But Dave's setup, I don't doubt, will prove harmonious and I hope he enjoys it :thumbsup:
Oh yes I wish him all the best as well. I hope he has a wonderful new beginning on the hobby.

I am sure the chap he is detecting with is an upright type of fellow who loves and respects the hobby as anyone does.

On another note, I know if a fellow who did years of research and found an old military fort here in east TN. He got permission from the owner and all was set.

The problem arose though when he took and posted about his new discovered permission and told the world about it on a well known detecting forum.

A university approached the land owner with some sort of arrangement and the fellow who did all of the hard work did not even get to set foot on the land.

Terrible situation.
I use the XP ORX and XP Deus Metal Detectors.
Blackadder43

Nice one Dave.....it is sometimes nice to have another nerd detectorist to bounce off in the fields, plus a bit of banter too :thumbsup:

I'm more of a lone wolf and always need expert advice, so i only have myself to blame when it goes boobs aloft :lol:
Easylife

Well done Dave, maybe not such a good start on the finds front but sure there will be some good stuff there waiting for you. I mainly detect alone, apart from the cattle, but do have a very trustworthy detecting buddy and occasionally we invite each other on our permissions. It makes for a nice change especially with the banter. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Oxgirl

Really pleased for you Dave, great you have a new mate to show your finds to, they get the excitement of a nice buckle and the frustration of another lead blob/ ring pull that somehow non-detectorists don’t. No idea why :lol:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Easylife

shaggybfc wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:43 pm I mosly detect solo, but do have a casual detecting partner. Only took 4 years to know him well enough to invite him onto a permission :) During the season, we meet most Sunday's at club, and sometimes she'll txt me or visa versa if we have an opportunity midweek.
He? She? Detecting in drag eh? :? :D
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
shaggybfc

Only on a Sunday for the club digs, but it’s tough going in high heels 🤣🤣🤣
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.