A year's worth of coins!

Easylife

Normally I would sort my finds out after each trip but my circumstances were different over the last 12 months so they just accumulated in many bags and containers. But today I finally got around to sorting them out. Virtually all are from my usual pasture but I was surprised at how much I had actually accumulated and even forgotten about! I sorted the artefacts and stored them by group type so that just left the copper coins to sort out, it took a fair while as there seemed to be a few hundred of them, but I've never sorted a years worth out in one go before! :shock:
IMG_20210805_220724.jpg
So I first sorted them into several piles, spendables, QE2 pre-decimal, Victoria onwards pre-decimal, older monarchs seperately, and of course the inevitable crusty coin pile. The gold looking one is just a 10 Euro cents.
IMG_20210805_220833.jpg
Well there were 78 spendable coins for £8.44, though the 50p's and new pound coins were used in a machine so maybe it was about a fiver more?
11 non spendable decimals, 6 QE2 pre decimals, and 95 Victoria onwards pre decimals.
IMG_20210805_220931.jpg
Then there were some older coppers, 3 William IV farthings, a George IV farthing, 23 George III Including 2 cartwheel pennies, 2 Irish, a shilling and a pierced forgery. And 3 George II with one counter stamped.
IMG_20210805_221405.jpg
Oldest copper coin was a George I halfpenny. I also found a few tokens and medallions in amongst the coins, one was a 1794 Spalding halfpenny conder token.
IMG_20210805_221511.jpg
There were 57 crusties to maybe look at another time, but that might never happen!!! :? I'm just not too fussed about copper coins in poor condition though don't mind IDing them just for the challenge and fun! :thumbsup: But it might help if I actually cleaned them a bit! :lol: One pierced coin ID eludes me as it doesn't quite seem to fit right so I might put that one up for ID?
Edit: Sussed it, George IV farthing (first issue). :thumbsup:

So that makes about 278 copper coins for the year, from memory there were also maybe about 10 or so silvers, 6 hammereds, and a gold sovereign! Not much chance of ever hitting around 300 coins on the same land in a year again I wouldn't think but it's not a numbers game. Even after a few years of detecting the same pasture it really just shows the sheer amount of past social activity on there which is far greater than I ever first thought, the artefacts also support that in age proportion to the coins. Mostly Victorian or so but there has also been two Roman coins one being a quite stunning Arcadius siliqua so there is always the chance of the unexpected much older find! But I digress, so just what to do with all these shabby copper coins that I don't particularly care for, and many more besides? Well I suppose I could always just scrap them but would rather maybe create a coin wall or similar instead? :Thinking:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Bigtim1973

Man you have been busy!!!!

That is a good haul for sure.

I took and scrapped my old cooper coins too. Didn't bring much either. So now kind of wish I had them back to make a big nice display.

So just remember if you do sell them for scrap you may regret it
I use the XP ORX and XP Deus Metal Detectors.
Pete E

I can't really think of any way to use blank/toasted coins? If you make a display, you have a display of blank copper coins! :Thinking: I can't really see the point of that???

Maybe bury them somewhere so some future detectorist thinks they have found a hoard! :lol: :lol:
Easylife

Pete E wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:23 am I can't really think of any way to use blank/toasted coins? If you make a display, you have a display of blank copper coins! :Thinking: I can't really see the point of that???
Not just the blank ones! :D
Dave The Slave

That is a great accumulation over a year.
Nearest i get is coins from the beach keep a running total but the finds for that year in a jar.
Best year was about 6 yrs ago, with around £130. Filled a 200g Coffee jar and then another 100g. Did remember tipping them all into a pile.
Nearest inland was 34 Romans found close together before taking to FLO.
Good detecting by you.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
figgis

Blimey, that's a bit of a pile :shock:

I don't really get to find that much British coinage for some reason. The Roman coins easily outnumber them, but I ain't complaining ;)
Easylife

I found another 50 coins in a container for the farmer's latest finds update. There were another six George III Including yet another shilling forgery, I have quite a set of those now.
IMG_20210806_232331.jpg