Deus lite day 1

mattjb

Was up and out fairly early today ready for a full day of learning the lite. Went back to the same barley stubble field as the last couple of weeks, not prolific in terms of good finds but it has thrown up some nice bits over a wide date range. Surprisingly few coins though.
Started off with the hot setting on 2.5 reactivity and the deus confirmed what the explorer had been telling me, plenty of iron!
After watching the xp vids and quite a lot of Alexander’s I had a good idea of what to look for regarding tones and most of the iron buzz was obvious. I did dig quite a few pieces of iron , mostly half horseshoes and iron rings which gave a high tone but with a bit of a buzz, some I knew I probably shouldn’t dig but did just to check!
To be honest I found I picked up using the deus in hot almost straight away. After using an explorer in conductive with an open screen I was already used to iron noises in the background,I just had to swap the tones round!
I dug a lot of signals, lots of lead etc but when it came to decent finds it was bloody hard work!
Something that looks like it might have been a Jetton in a previous life, an arseless lead pig, part of a cooking pot ,something that looks like a button with a couple of jade coloured bits in, a pierced coin that looks like it could be Roman and a few other bits.Not much to show for 8 hours!
There is one piece that is curious. The oval ring thing. At first I thought it was just a piece of crap but kept it and when I washed it a little snake eating his tail appeared! It’s got a little blob on its tail and there is a faint sort of zig zag decoration on it. Traces of gilding on the inside. Anyone have any clues?
Attachments
29417B81-403E-4662-9DE1-92A290AB8170.jpeg
8E0618D1-DB8B-4D6E-AE8F-5CE33DEFA74F.jpeg
mattjb

A bit of digging on the net reveals a snake eating itself is an ancient symbol of Egypt and Greece called Ouroboros. What relevance that has to the thing I found I don’t know!
Bigtim1973

I feel like that little pig does sometimes when my wife reminds me something I forgot to do!!

Well you are certainly off to a good start and those finds are some very interesting ones.

Especially the serpent ring. May be some sort of loop for a lanyard on a weapon.

It is spectacular really!!

So all in all you have done very well on your first outing.

I still dig odd iron shapes too. Very hard to fool a machine all of the time.

But if you may suspect it could be iron, try lifting to coil off of the target or swinging away to the edge of the target.

Sometimes that helps ID iron too.

So, are you pleased with your purchase of the deus lite???

Did you find it very comfortable to swing??

After an 8 hour hunt, I am sure being used to your explorer, you may have felt like walking on air with such a light machine.
I use the XP ORX and XP Deus Metal Detectors.
mattjb

Bigtim1973 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:27 pm I feel like that little pig does sometimes when my wife reminds me something I forgot to do!!

Well you are certainly off to a good start and those finds are some very interesting ones.

Especially the serpent ring. May be some sort of loop for a lanyard on a weapon.

It is spectacular really!!

So all in all you have done very well on your first outing.

I still dig odd iron shapes too. Very hard to fool a machine all of the time.

But if you may suspect it could be iron, try lifting to coil off of the target or swinging away to the edge of the target.

Sometimes that helps ID iron too.

So, are you pleased with your purchase of the deus lite???

Did you find it very comfortable to swing??

After an 8 hour hunt, I am sure being used to your explorer, you may have felt like walking on air with such a light machine.
Cheers Tim,
Yep enjoyed using it,easy to swing ,theres no way I could do 8 hours with the explorer these days! Did it find stuff the explorer wouldn’t have? Hard to say really but using the explorer in conductive with an open screen I was definitely missing high tone targets as they will be lost in the iron high tones a lot of the time.
I was surprised how easy it was to use in the hot setting to be honest.
Bigtim1973

Yes it is a very good program. Especially in iron.

It is hard to go over an area to find what another good machine would have missed. It goes to show you that your machine was already doing a good job.

I know there is more there but you will have to go slow and really pick it out.

What frequency were you using??

Glad to see you are happy!!
I use the XP ORX and XP Deus Metal Detectors.
mattjb

Bigtim1973 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:50 pm Yes it is a very good program. Especially in iron.

It is hard to go over an area to find what another good machine would have missed. It goes to show you that your machine was already doing a good job.

I know there is more there but you will have to go slow and really pick it out.

What frequency were you using??

Glad to see you are happy!!
I went with the standard frequency on the hot I think it’s 17 or 18 . I put it up to 25 for a while but not for long,thought I’d keep it in the suggested setting for most of the time. I might go with Alexander’s suggestion of 11kh for stubble tomorrow and try that out. A couple of small fields of wheat have been harvested so may well have a go on those
Easylife

I particularly like that snake finger ring, looks Roman? :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
mattjb

Easylife wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:37 pm I particularly like that snake finger ring, looks Roman? :thumbsup:
Do you think it’s a finger ring? Looks a bit flat in profile ?
Blackadder43

Great write up Matt and looks as though you are gelling with the Deus straight from the of, nice one fella :thumbsup:
Not a bad haul for its maiden voyage either :clapping:
mattjb

Blackadder43 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:02 pm Great write up Matt and looks as though you are gelling with the Deus straight from the of, nice one fella :thumbsup:
Not a bad haul for its maiden voyage either :clapping:
Cheers! 👍
Oxgirl

That snake artefact is absolutely gorgeous. Wouldn’t be surprised it it’s Roman or in the first part of the medieval period.

That knobbly bit on the time is the clue to what it is I think. It doesn’t look like a finger ring or a brooch but it is a something that one of us will have a eureka moment on soon - least I hope so! Love it!
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Easylife

Oxgirl wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:15 pm That knobbly bit on the time is the clue to what it is I think. It doesn’t look like a finger ring or a brooch but it is a something that one of us will have a eureka moment on soon.
Hard to judge the ovalness or size, so could be a broken off pull something? Think we need a scale and more pics! :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
shaggybfc

Looks like you've got the Deus working perfectly :thumbsup: some lovely finds :thumbsup:
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
figgis

Clearly a marriage made in heaven :lol: Good luck with it into the future :thumbsup:
Pete E

Oxgirl wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:15 pm That snake artefact is absolutely gorgeous. Wouldn’t be surprised it it’s Roman or in the first part of the medieval period.

That knobbly bit on the time is the clue to what it is I think. It doesn’t look like a finger ring or a brooch but it is a something that one of us will have a eureka moment on soon - least I hope so! Love it!
Agreed the snake artefact is a really beauty..

I have no idea what it is, but that stud looks like it might fit into a "slot and hole" on a leather strap? Can't think just what's its purpose would be, but that's the only thing that springs to mind???