Russian roulette with the plough!

Easylife

It seems quite amazing how so many older finds have escaped plough damage? Maybe they were more pushed out of the way than being modern sliced? :Thinking:
What are your thoughts?
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
figgis

The harsh soil conditions round here account for more damage to old finds than the plough. I suppose for a ploughshare to actually bend something it has to push it against an object which offers resistance. Of course, this happens from time to time but I'd imagine things mostly just get pushed out of the way.
mattjb

With the amount of stones on the field I’ve been doing it’s surprising that the plough doesn’t squash everything against them .
Oxgirl

It’s the whole process, not just the plough that damages things but I suspect the soil type makes a real difference to what that is. Sandy soils offer less resistance than clay whilst the movements of stones probably damage more things than the plough itself. It’s the larger items that are more susceptible though - large Saxon brooches, big Georgian buckles and big silvers.
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Metalurgy

You’re lucky to have ploughed land,we have minimal cultivation and I believe it’s the power harrow that is greatest threat.