Magnificent Seven ----NOT !!

Dave The Slave

Well when you have basically found nothing, it`s often, " often " seems to be the appropriate word, difficult to come up with a post title.
Could have been " Busted Buckle " or " Lump of Lead ".
You may even think, why bother posting when there is nothing interesting.
Well most of us here are interested in History rather than Monetary Value of attention grabbing headline items that some of you have seen on You Tube elsewhere.
The one thing i have always shown is the reality of detecting, everything that is dug, not just the " Good Stuff ".
So here is my paltry offering from yesterday.
New field that was on rolled stubble, soil was very easy to dig and even had the Winter time mud clumps protruding from the sole of my boots, that gave them the appearance of snow shoes.
I went down one boundary but further into field, my buddy went the other. Had a couple of hours in this field and managed seven items.
Actually pleased to find the buckle, which was an improvement on last weeks star find, a 20th C small 4 hole button. Hoping this may be from another century but not finding many buckles ever happy with this one. Not sure if the side pieces were made curved or this is the result of ploughing etc.
The lead ball was a solid piece when dug, having cleaned it, seems to have had a purpose with the 2 tiny holes and possibly 2 more in the second photo. Some sort of weight or counter balance. Stats are, 2.77oz or 78g for the youngsters. Diameter of around 22mm if that has any bearing.
There was an additional find, a half buried cricket ball and the mystery of that was soon resolved, as the resident of the cottage nearby was walking his dogs and had lost it weeks earlier.
Hope this has been sufficiently padded out to give you a good read.
My detecting buddy did not find anything of note or anything requiring an id.
Suppose you`d better see the Seven.
As D ream sang with Brian Cox on keyboard, " Things Can Only Get Better " and they will. :thumbsup:
Cheers everyone, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Bigtim1973

Well it was a good hunt in my eyes!!

The shotgun cartridge would be a welcome find for me as it is way too hot here for Detecting!!!

Just to be able to go swing would be great.....good finds or not.
I use the XP ORX and XP Deus Metal Detectors.
Easylife

Dave The Slave wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:28 pm The lead ball .....if that has any bearing?
Nice one! :lol:

It's always interesting to see how others go on as all our land has had different degrees of activity through time. The main thing is that you enjoyed searching for whatever may or may not be there.
The buckle is a breeching dee. https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts ... /id/715634
Last pic, just above the dee looks like the end of a coat hook?
I don't get out detecting much over summer but sometimes post my unspectacular finds also, it just balances out the reality of the game! :thumbsup:
Just seven targets tells me that you are not the first to detect there!
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
shaggybfc

It's strange how the excitement of a new field can soon turn to disappointment when nothing exciting comes up. I'm currently going through that. New, promising land - and it's deathly quiet. I just keep telling myself "you've not found the hot spots yet, keep going" 30+ hours in and still haven't found anything exciting. Best so far is a cruddy blank copper half penny. :pulling hair out:
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
Easylife

shaggybfc wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:54 am 30+ hours in and still haven't found anything exciting.
It'll all be worth it when that gold torc shows! :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
shaggybfc

Easylife wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:27 pm It'll all be worth it when that gold torc shows! :thumbsup:
I'd be happy with some buttons just to show signs of habitation.
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
figgis

Great write up, Dave :thumbsup:

We all approach a new field with enthusiasm and hope but it can lead to disappointment. At first. I have a 100-acre farm which I've barely scratched and found absolutely nothing the first two visits but then a coin weight and 15thC buckle turned up so the odds are that there will be finds there with perseverance. Pretty sure there's a gold torc there somewhere, too :lol:

Keep at it, chap.