"Scraps" of lead???

Pete E

How many times do we find odd shaped bits of lead and wonder what they are?

I watched River Hunters last night one they found a small roughly cast cone of lead maybe an 1" tall, if that...There were no marking or anything else to indicate it was an important find and not a bit of scrap.

Archaeologists at a local museum however determined it was actually a Viking gaming piece, and advised these come in a variety of shapes often very roughly cast...

After a quick search on line, I was mortified at what I may have thrown away in the past!

Here are three gaming pieces that are very similar to the one found, although the one in River Hunters looked even less well cast...
79697_0.jpg
Oxgirl

Do they have a dip on the base? I thought the deciding factor was that but could be very wrong!

I have some personal weights (thought to be medieval but can’t be sure) of the same shape but with a little loop at the top. If the loop is missing they can be difficult to tell apart.

Lead is a right pain the rear though isn’t it :problem: I sometimes get some bits that I’m sure are/ were something. I’ve brought some to the FLO but the reaction hasn’t been very positive :lol:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
figgis

Those in the image above were clearly made for a specific purpose, though I have to say that whenever I see the term "gaming piece" it's usually with a jaundiced eye. No doubt some are, but it seems to be a catch-all term for something made for a reason which nobody can come up with so they lob it in the gaming piece drawer. It's like any whistle found is presumed to be a hawking whistle :lol:

Do you have an image of yours?
Easylife

Pete E wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:40 pm Here are three gaming pieces that are very similar to the one found, although the one in River Hunters looked even less well cast...

79697_0.jpg
Middle one looks like a casting sprue waste. I can't get excited about them and we will never know for sure! :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.