Fields of promise

shaggybfc

The barley came off the fields about 3 weeks ago and the wheat came off just over a week ago, so I was happy to have some local land to swing over. I'd forgotten just how much I hated swinging through stubble, especially when using the Deus. It seems too light and fragile for the job, but always survives.
Anyway, I was on one of the fields last Friday and the farmer stopped by for a chat. I moaned at him for cutting the stubble at the most inconvenient height, to which he said the price of straw was high, so he maximised the crop.... fair play I said. He asked if I'd found much, to which I said not a lot, due to the stubble,, nudge, nudge, wink, wink... and he said he'd get the lads to come and harrow it, if it helps. Great I thought. He then asked me if I'd had any success from the 'top fields'..... Top fields I enquired... what top fields. You know, he said the ones at the top of the hill out of the village. I didn't know you owned them, I replied, I always thought it was old **** that owned them. Nope, I own them and always have. I told him that I'd never done those, but was itching to get on them due to the massive potential.
Boom, packed up and drove up to the top fields within minutes of us ending the conversation.
Now, these fields I'd longingly looked at for about 5 or so years, but had assumed they belonged to this other farmer, who had already told me, in no uncertain terms, NO DETECTING, so I’d never pursued them.
I live in a village right at the bottom of the Avon valley, with plenty of history close by. Normal church, large manor house, Roman road, Saxon settlements, so the promise was there. I'd also been noting some of the stone work built into boundary walls and houses that looked totally out of place. They were huge, like the stone used in the church construction. I'd put 2 and 2 together and concluded that there must have been a demolished Saxon / Norman building somewhere in the location. I also concluded that the likely location for this building would have been on the plateau where the church was build and maybe to the east. There’s no Lidar coverage, so looking at the topography, it all looked good.
I’ve spent hours on these fields now, maybe 40+ after today and not a lot of success as of yet. A grotty blank half penny, a button and few bits of modern rubbish. I can’t believe just how quiet it is. I know there must be something there as the church is less than 50 metres away and the fields back onto the roman road. There’s approx. 200 acre, so I’ll keep going.
From the fields, now known as the bottom fields, I’ve have more success.
These are the finds from there from the weekend.
A beaten up hammered penny, might be too fragile to straighten for an ID. A Triang key, several coins, a couple of strap fittings, 2 harness rings, a nice strap end, lead weight, buttons, a large buckle, and piece of decorative silver. A nice bit of glass that’s got that nice iridescence finish. Any suggestions to age appreciated.
I’m just hoping the top fields live up to the promise and produce as much as the bottom fields
Thanks for reading – I know it was a rambling essay, so well done for reading to the end
0209459A-1A0D-442D-AEDE-73B03766451A.jpeg
C80113C0-403E-4F98-A97A-C47854A8A049.jpeg
3A2B1D04-CBC1-4677-B463-32FC1D68324F.jpeg
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
figgis

Thanks for taking the time to write that up, chap :thumbsup:

Really pleased for you that you now have access to the Promised Land and hope it works out as you would like.
Dave The Slave

Good to have plenty of land local to you.
Good amount of finds so far.
Will keep you going for years.
Good Luck, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Metalurgy

Good luck with your top fields,the finds will come 👍
Easylife

Things often seem the opposite of expected, maybe targets have gone deep? I have a hilltop also but nothing much too old there apart from nearer the footpath. But you just never know what might show so it just has to be done! :thumbsup:
Of course that hammy will stand straightening, get it glowing! :D
CIVI TAS EBORACI = York mint. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
shaggybfc

Had a couple of hours on the bottom fields yesterday evening. I may have found my entry into the competition.
Best of the finds - a nice 1950s Girls adventurers badge. That may explain all the predecimal coins that come up in the area.
I’m thinking of holding an exhibition called The Buttons of *village name* - I have enough to fill the village hall :lol:
B62A8E9E-9955-466D-B511-F4F1374FF566.jpeg
DADCC9E6-7488-4920-8F2E-BFBF8DBBCC8F.jpeg
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
mattjb

shaggybfc wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:30 am Had a couple of hours on the bottom fields yesterday evening. I may have found my entry into the competition.
Best of the finds - a nice 1950s Girls adventurers badge. That may explain all the predecimal coins that come up in the area.
I’m thinking of holding an exhibition called The Buttons of *village name* - I have enough to fill the village hall :lol:

B62A8E9E-9955-466D-B511-F4F1374FF566.jpegDADCC9E6-7488-4920-8F2E-BFBF8DBBCC8F.jpeg
Got to be worth entering that badge in the august giveaway comp I’d say.
Oxgirl

Guess the comp is the silver lining? :D

At least you are getting out. I’m determined to get out this week if it kills me (it might! ) :D
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking